This team is going to be fine.

3 consecutive games allowing over 600 yards in offense...I am going to puke if Pelini says "we need to fix us, or we need to make plays":....

SS, DD....I think Bo is in deep sh#t already..or he should be.

This 3 game argument it ridiculous. Last year is last year, these are young guys they're only going to get better.

Like I said before this season is probably going to feel a lot like the 09 offense watching this defense. There are going to be headaches and there are going to be huge games it's all part of the learning process.

I'm sick of being fine. Time to start showing consistency with this program. I can handle a blip or two or even a mediocre season here and there....it happens to the best coaches. But we have a patty cake schedule with a 4 year starting qb and an explosive offense. Sure the defense is young...but why is that again? Ah yes...first time head coach.

So forgive me if I don't have the same optimism...until I SEE progress, I will continue to discuss our issues. We've heard all season long about the good and the hype. Now that the season's here, is it really required that we continue to talk about all the good stuff? Is it ok if some of us discuss the concerns that we've been seeing for the past 3+ seasons? Or will we continue to be scolded and required to supply proof of our football coaching credentials to continue conversation on such a "negative" level...

The whole "scolding" thing is a group think sickness, er, I meant to say, "phenomenon" that exists on all Husker boards/blogs. No can escape it, though I did note that this very own HB site has a quarantined thread for those deemed or considering of themselves as "negative nellies"(i.e., the realists). I'm a free speech kinda guy, so whatever, peeps gotta deal with it, I guess. I'll try not to hurt anybody--honest.

I plan on withholding judgement until the season is over. Well, if we lose like every game for the next four weeks I might not reserve judgement but you know.

As of now, I have UCLA penciled in as a loss. Then, god help us, we should be a.o.k. up until the jNU game, where, from there on out it's anybody's guess from what I saw of our D last night. MN looks like it could be a real struggle, though.

Our D is a serious work in, well, I am hesitant to use the word, "progress".

We don't want to show anything to UCLA.

Was this our plan last year?

Would you rather we expose our whole playbook just so we could crush Wyoming?

So by 'crush' you mean 'almost lose to'.

This 'saving plays for this team and that' makes me sick. Play the f*cking game every week, and do it well. If you can't, and you struggle, it doesn't really matter what you're saving for anyone. It just means you're not that good to line up and kick someone's ass on a weekly basis, and you need a gimmick to get you by. When the hell did that become Nebraska football?

I plan on withholding judgement until the season is over. Well, if we lose like every game for the next four weeks I might not reserve judgement but you know.

As of now, I have UCLA penciled in as a loss. Then, god help us, we should be a.o.k. up until the jNU game, where, from there on out it's anybody's guess from what I saw of our D last night. MN looks like it could be a real struggle .

Answer one question for me:

Last year, our starters knew the defense in and out. (thats why they were starting.) and sucked.

This year, our defense knows about 75% of what those guys knew detail wise, communication wise, etc. and that 75% is being pretty generous. What do you think will happen as the players get more accustomed to the speed of college football, get better at communicating, and they start to understand all of the little intricacies of the defense, to where to they "master" it? Do you think they'll stay the same? Get better? Get worse?

This 'saving plays for this team and that' makes me sick. Play the f*cking game every week, and do it well. If you can't, and you struggle, it doesn't really matter what you're saving for anyone. It just means you're not that good to line up and kick someone's ass on a weekly basis, and you need a gimmick to get you by. When the hell did that become Nebraska football?

Becks gameplan was absolute horse sh#t. I'm surprised he isn't getting blasted right now. Good thing our fans are too idiotic to realize that half of his bullsh#t play calls and decisions cost the defense just as much as youth did.

• Fire 1

As of now, I have UCLA penciled in as a loss. Then, god help us, we should be a.o.k. up until the jNU game, where, from there on out it's anybody's guess from what I saw of our D last night. MN looks like it could be a real struggle .

Answer one question for me:

Last year, our starters knew the defense in and out. (thats why they were starting.) and sucked.

This year, our defense knows about 75% of what those guys knew detail wise, communication wise, etc. and that 75% is being pretty generous. What do you think will happen as the players get more accustomed to the speed of college football, get better at communicating, and they start to understand all of the little intricacies of the defense, to where to they "master" it? Do you think they'll stay the same? Get better? Get worse?

One would think they would get better, as athletes, individually. As for the team play of the D in particular, I make no claims of consistent improvement--there is substantial evidence to the contrary. Like I have been echoing here and elsewhere, Bo Pelini's version of the Huskers is a crap shoot and all the meltdowns and boneheaded, inconsistent play that never gets "fixed" forms the basis of my answer here. I'm playing the coaching card, mostly, in other words. Pelini gets out coached on a regular basis.

Becks gameplan was absolute horse sh#t. I'm surprised he isn't getting blasted right now. Good thing our fans are too idiotic to realize that half of his bullsh#t play calls and decisions cost the defense just as much as youth did.

Beck admitted his gameplan was too vanilla. But look at the facts. We were wearing those dudes out in the third quarter, absolutely marching through them with the ground game. The only reason this was a near-disaster is Tmart decided it was time to do what he does and throw a pick. Why he was even allowed to throw at that point in the game is a Beck question, and there probably is no good answer. The play calling was not stellar, but we did put up points. As I said, I don't think this game was quite as bad as it looked, and certainly it was worse than it should have been. Some of that is on Beck.

I also think the proclamations of imminent destruction are coming in way too soon.

1. This defense does not have to be great or even good in September/October. It has to be mediocre, create a few turnovers, and focus on improving.

2. We played against a fantastic QB. Yes, it's Wyoming. Welcome to the age of parity. Not only was he good; he was on fire. He was playing in an extremely effective system run by an extremely effective OC (or HC in this case). Lots of 1-on-1 matchups in space against young, inexperienced LBs.

3. Our young defense needed a good punch in the mouth. Anyone on that team who had any illusions of relying on talent should now be blissfully awake. There is so much work to do. But then we all knew that--it was all anyone could talk about all offseason.

4. We had that game put away when Beck went full retard and called up a Taylor Martinez interception when we were up 18 and in field goal range. Had we run the ball like we were doing, we either get a first down or three points, thus making it a three score game and likely deflating Wyoming for good. At the very least we'd have gotten field position instead of a giant interception return. Long story short, we let the bastards back in when we didn't have to. The Wyo D was gassed, plain and simple, and we decide it's time to throw the football. That's on Martinez. That's on Beck.

This is a make or break year for Pelini. If I have any reputation it's probably as a doom and gloomer, which I'm not. I prefer the term "realist." Realism tells me that as long as we keep winning in September--and early October--there is nothing to complain about. Having true and redshirt freshmen as a regular part of your rotation at a half a dozen positions means you're going to get points put up on you by experienced, talented players, especially in spread systems with so many one-on-one matchups. It's just going to happen. As long as we win and the defense continues to learn and improve, I'd say we're on schedule. The only thing that matters is winning and getting this defense to grow up by November. It's still possible--even likely. If it doesn't happen, the coaching change conversation is inevitable, no matter what the sunshine pumpers union would like to believe.

Now I'm not happy about the Wyoming game, but we didn't lose. That's something. On to next week.

Most logical, perspective piece of literature I've ever read from you. Nicely done.

Yup.

Even if we lose to LA we still have 6 weeks before the real games start with 2 bye weeks. The D will be alot better by then. Lavonte David said it took him 6 games for the game to slow down. Im excited about the athletes on D. They are going to be good with time. We are extremely lucky to have the schedule we do.

This could actually be a very good thing for our team, last year we didn't get punched in the mouth until the LA game. I look for us to come out angry with our hair on fire. I would not want to be S Miss.

Game and score looked alot worse than it was. Smith is a great QB and extremely accurate. He got the ball in some tight spaces and took advantage of seemingly every miscommunication, and there were alot of em. We knew the defense was going to take some time to get settled in, our year depends on how fast it does. We said it the whole off season. Don't know why everyone's surprised. The offense will be fine, Beck f'd is in this game, he had no gameplan and did not take them serious enough to have one. They retooled their defense so we didn't know what to expect, so I really think he just went into the game thinking we could do what we want and well adjust on the fly. He had no direction at all. Well be ready for LA, it's going to be a hell of a game.

• Fire 3

Other than 2 turnovers deep in Wyoming terrotory that were out of Beck's control (one due to a badly run route and the other to officials not ending the plan in a reasonable amount of time) how did Beck's play calling hurt the team?

The early 3 and out where the OL got called for a false start on a third and one that would have easily been converted?

Martinez' 77% completion rating?

Two 100+ yard rushers? Two more that were damn close to 100?

• Fire 1

Some folks really need to re watch the game. We constantly gave them a cushion. Gave them those clearout screens/flats that gained only 10-15 yards this year would've probably resulted in field-length td's with Compton and/or Whaley tryin to chase em down. We had a very mellow plan on both sides of the ball designed to get in, get the win, get out, and go analyze the experience for all the 1st time players on D. And up until the pick with 7 minutes left when we here headed in for a score that woulda made it 40/44-21 that actually ended up with a young D that had hung it up for the night (very disturbing, even for a group of frosh) allowing a quick 2 play TD and a new game. The D played decent from the 11 minute mark in the second all the way till the end of the 3rd when they gave up a rather quick td drive after we went up 31-14.