Turner - Sometimes, we laid down. We weren't bringing the fight back.

knapplc

I live out of state and rarely get the chance to see a Husker game in person. I like my television but I like being in the stadium, too, where you can watch exactly what you want. And I like to watch what's going on on the sideline. So that's what I was watching last year when I caught the Huskers playing UCLA in Pasadena. And it's the biggest thing I took away from the game. The players didn't look engaged, excited, pumped up, dejected or even that concerned with what was going on on the field. Which happened to be a close, exciting nationally televised game that was in the process of determining the course of the season and their reputation as a team. It was weird. Seasoned NFL teams look more animated.

The standard of excellence has been forgotten. Strapping on the "N" doesn't mean what it used to for these players. The attitude and effort put forth by the players on these Pelini teams is utterly disgraceful. What in the hell is up with the players' sideline disinterest for the game--especially when they're playing like crap? Bo needs to stop this experiment with being their friend and go old testament, because these players lack focus and discipline.

we didn't used to just win games, we used to punish our competition...that hunger and pride is long gone....

and when NU went down in defeat it used to be fighting all the way and punishing the opponent. Even when NU lost (which was 2 times a year on average) under Osborne --- they went down not because they were unfocused, unmotivated, out-hustled or were lacking in intensity. They were focused, intense, violent, well-prepared and went down against better foes that day. No dishonor in that.

If the current NU team was like that... hair on fire intense every play all game irrespective of score --- if they played with focus and were violent, giving all on every play every game and finished with 5 or 6 losses a season I would be satisfied and never complain. The record is not the point. How the team plays --- that is the point. So... under Bo, the point (at least for me) is not that they have failed to be a champion of anything... or that they failed to do well record-wise against good foes. It is that the team has been (and seemingly continues to be) poorly prepared, lacking in drive, non-physical (relative to where they should be), generally non-intense, poorly coached and lacking in focus. That is, to me, a dishonorable way to lose (or win --- as the Wyoming game is an example... NU played w/o intensity, focus or drive but won because their foe was simply wildly over-matched by talent deficit relative to NU). NU picks up some uninspired wins this way... and that is not worth accolades at all.

So, when NU lost games under TO, they only lost to "better teams".

1981--#7 NU lost to an unranked Iowa.

1984--#1 NU lost to an unranked Syracuse

1986--#3 NU lost to an unranked Colorado

1990--#10 NU lost to an unranked Oklahoma (by 35)

1992--#7 NU lost to an unranked Iowa State (the ultimate sleep walking loss)

1993--#6 NU goes down to the wire against unranked Kansas (winning when KU missed a 2-pt conversion in last minute of game)

1994--#2 NU almost lost to unranked Wyoming (Benning said the team was not focused for that game)

1997--#6 NU plays Central Florida very close (bringing boos against Scott Frost)

Yes, the lack of focus about Bo's teams are concerning, but don't act like NU played every game lights out under Tom Osborne. There are plenty of games under TO, where the team came out flat, and the team had close games or even lost.

edit: nevermind

One thing I noticed is that when Ameer ran up the left sideline for that long run, no emotion was displayed at all on the sideline by our players. It seemed like back in the good ole days when stuff like that happened guys were jumping around and going crazy. I guess I just don't understand what you need to get yourself jacked to play. I mean, if you're playing in front of a half empty stadium I get it. But how can you not be fired up for a game at Memorial?

It used to be that when a player would jump around in excitement and celebrating a good play fans would say..."act like you have been there before".

Really?

I've heard this about fans acting like that, but I've never heard anyone complain about players showing emotion.

Yes really....

This was specifically during the 80s era when teams from Florida would make a TD and dance around for 5 minutes like they just won the NC. TO's attitude was that you "act like you have been there before". Be happy you made a good play, put the ball down and get to the side lines and prepare for the next series.

The dancing and prancing around is what lead to the excessive celebration rules.

I used to think it was an experience issue, or a scheme issue. Last year people tried to convince me it was a talent issue. I'm beginning to lean towards it being a psychological issue...which is ultimately a coaching issue.

I really believe over the next couple of games it will become clear talent was an issue.....too undersized at DT, not athletic enough at DE and too slow at LB.

I used to think it was an experience issue, or a scheme issue. Last year people tried to convince me it was a talent issue. I'm beginning to lean towards it being a psychological issue...which is ultimately a coaching issue.

I really believe over the next couple of games it will become clear talent was an issue.....too undersized at DT, not athletic enough at DE and too slow at LB.

Undersized at DT? VV is 320 pounds. He had 30 pounds on every Wyoming lineman. And Gregory is one of the best athletes I've seen at DE in a long time. And we're quicker than I've seen in forever at LBer. Are you talking about last year still? Because my issue is currently with this years team. We've had vastly different spectrums of talent and experience, and the only thing consistent is performance. I'm finding it harder and harder to believe anything other than the 1 constant (coaching) throughout each era is the issue.

So, when NU lost games under TO, they only lost to "better teams".

1981--#7 NU lost to an unranked Iowa.

1984--#1 NU lost to an unranked Syracuse

1986--#3 NU lost to an unranked Colorado

1990--#10 NU lost to an unranked Oklahoma (by 35)

1992--#7 NU lost to an unranked Iowa State (the ultimate sleep walking loss)

1993--#6 NU goes down to the wire against unranked Kansas (winning when KU missed a 2-pt conversion in last minute of game)

1994--#2 NU almost lost to unranked Wyoming (Benning said the team was not focused for that game)

1997--#6 NU plays Central Florida very close (bringing boos against Scott Frost)

Yes, the lack of focus about Bo's teams are concerning, but don't act like NU played every game lights out under Tom Osborne. There are plenty of games under TO, where the team came out flat, and the team had close games or even lost.

you realize you had to span 17 seasons to compile this list. I could get a list almost as long just looking at 2011, 2012 and Wyoming.

You're both right. There were plenty of Osborne teams that came out flat. Most times they were able to shake it off and win going away, but once a year they lost to a lesser team (just like most Top 10 teams). In big games Osborne teams often played tight, made uncharacteristic mistakes and lost. That was where he got the big game rap he carried for 20 years.

But as mentioned on another thread, Pelini teams have strung together so many bad first halves it's almost become a trademark.

And I honestly don't understand the psychology of not being totally jacked and focused for the opening game of the season. You can play over your head and maybe out of control, maybe make a few nervous mistakes, but how could you NOT be jacked out of your 20 year old mind?

Undersized at DT? VV is 320 pounds. He had 30 pounds on every Wyoming lineman. And Gregory is one of the best athletes I've seen at DE in a long time. And we're quicker than I've seen in forever at LBer. Are you talking about last year still? Because my issue is currently with this years team. We've had vastly different spectrums of talent and experience, and the only thing consistent is performance. I'm finding it harder and harder to believe anything other than the 1 constant (coaching) throughout each era is the issue.

Yeah, sorry......that's why I said over the next couple of games it will become more clear. I think our performance will improve quickly because we have the components in place like you mentioned in your post. I think we need more production from the other DE spot, but our talent on the front 7 is improved over last year. We'll get better defensively each game with these chess pieces in place.

I live out of state and rarely get the chance to see a Husker game in person. I like my television but I like being in the stadium, too, where you can watch exactly what you want. And I like to watch what's going on on the sideline. So that's what I was watching last year when I caught the Huskers playing UCLA in Pasadena. And it's the biggest thing I took away from the game. The players didn't look engaged, excited, pumped up, dejected or even that concerned with what was going on on the field. Which happened to be a close, exciting nationally televised game that was in the process of determining the course of the season and their reputation as a team. It was weird. Seasoned NFL teams look more animated.

Exactly Guy... People should start watching the sidelines and see it for themselves. It gives you a little window into the team.

One thing I noticed is that when Ameer ran up the left sideline for that long run, no emotion was displayed at all on the sideline by our players. It seemed like back in the good ole days when stuff like that happened guys were jumping around and going crazy. I guess I just don't understand what you need to get yourself jacked to play. I mean, if you're playing in front of a half empty stadium I get it. But how can you not be fired up for a game at Memorial?

It used to be that when a player would jump around in excitement and celebrating a good play fans would say..."act like you have been there before".

Really?

I've heard this about fans acting like that, but I've never heard anyone complain about players showing emotion.

Yes really....

This was specifically during the 80s era when teams from Florida would make a TD and dance around for 5 minutes like they just won the NC. TO's attitude was that you "act like you have been there before". Be happy you made a good play, put the ball down and get to the side lines and prepare for the next series.

The dancing and prancing around is what lead to the excessive celebration rules.

I'm not talking about that thug bullsh#t that Miami used to do. I'm talking about Wistrom and those guys getting fired up after a sack or a big hit. They never took it too far.

Really?

Yes really....

There is a difference between "act like you have been there before" and being a complete embarrassment. TO didn't mind when when our guys got excited over a play or a TD. He did mind it when it was directed towards another team or a flag was thrown for unsportsmanlike. TO wanted it to be a quick and respectful celebration and hurry up and move onto the next play/drive. Suh use to be fired up about EVERY hit he got, this is what we are missing. Again, this is the first game and the frustration level on the front was at an all time high for a first game. Almost every single time we got close to Brett Smith, our guys were held and when they did get loose, they got pushed in the back so they couldn't make the play. You can't get mad at WYO for doing it, but you can get upset about it not being called. I understand there is holding on every play, but this game was much different and NOTICEABLE. If they aren't being called on it, they will keep doing it and not be forced to adjust their style. Can't blame them though if its not being called.

That is the biggest crock of sh#t I've hear in along time. ". Act like you've been there before". Gimme a f'ing break. We had teams who competed for championships and teams that actually won championships that got crazy jacked up after every big play, and those teams actually had " been there " before. So just quit with that crap.

I have mentioned this problem about lack of emotion for years now. YEARS! It's a problem. And i don't think it's so much that guys don't care....you know what it is. It's that I don't think they are having FUN! This is football by God and I'm sorry but I just don't think they are enjoying it the way they should be able to. It's not fun for them. I can't tell you every reason, but I will give you one possibile reason. It's too much for them. This trying to be perfect,out there. Trying to play within these schemes. Trying to be in the right spot at the right time play after play not only knowing their job but everyone else's job on the field. They are thinking so damn much out there I think it's killing " the " game " of it for them.

Now every team in college football is highly involved, high level scheming and lots of learning and thinking, so don't think for a second I'm saying it's not. What I am saying is in this sport it's fun to get after it. It's fun to be the aggressor. It's fun to fly around and hit somebody. I watch this team and they aren't flying around, they don't appear to seek the extra contact. They don't search for a guy to hit. Maybe the rules have a bit to do with it, but mostly they are just NOT HAVING FUN.

The standard of excellence has been forgotten. Strapping on the "N" doesn't mean what it used to for these players. The attitude and effort put forth by the players on these Pelini teams is utterly disgraceful. What in the hell is up with the players' sideline disinterest for the game--especially when they're playing like crap? Bo needs to stop this experiment with being their friend and go old testament, because these players lack focus and discipline.

you intimate what I firmly believe... the motivational state of the players --- their focus and their intensity --- is the responsibility of the coaching staff. To field flat and unfocused players week after week is inexcusable and is a reflection upon our coaches.

I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong. But, if you play for Nebraska and you need someone else to get you jacked up (coaches) to play in the opening weekend of college football in front of a record crowd of avid fans at Memorial stadium.........you might need to see a doctor to have your pulse checked.

Well then we fielded a team on life support Saturday. Maybe we should have the psychologist back in there like TO did from time to time. Maybe the cuffs need to be taken off Bo. Let's see him blow a few more gaskets because whenever I think about that A&M game I remember fondly Bo getting that PF and our offensive line just blowing up their Dline on the next series...