Rewatched Game- Defensive Thoughts

Warrior10

I see some posts about the McBride defense attacking the spread defenses, punishing the QB, etc. Yes, we all love those glory days, but there is a huge difference between now and then. The proliferation of the mobile QB, who is able to also pass, is what makes the spread defenses so hard to defend. McBride was able to send Wistrom and company off the edges and attack Wuerfel because the QB was a statue. Without the fear of the QB taking off and run at any time, the defenses were able to attack more freely. With today's mobile QB's who can also throw, it's so much easier for them to move around in the backfield and make a pass to an open receiver down field. Smith from Wyoming did that countless times last week. Defenses today, have to play more contain/coverage, try to get pressure with their front 4, and try to limit the big plays in the secondary.

That's true about mobile quarterbacks. For the most part, I think a mobile QB leans on running instincts to make plays than make accurate throws all game. I would prefer to keep a mobile QB frustrated by holding him under 50 yards rushing, and forced to make plays passing the ball. Braxton Miller for example. Denard Robinson another. If they have to beat us through the air, then I take those chances. The real tricky ones are guys like Brett Smith of WYO, UCLA's Brett Hundley, and Michigan's Devin Gardner. They are pretty accurate passers that can also extend drives and make some plays with their feet. It's not an easy job to say the least.

I really hope that Michigan does the stupid thing and tries to make Gardner a pro-style QB, in a "West Coast Offense". Their offense would be lethal if they stayed with the spread option game that they ran under Denard. But, Bourges is a WCO guy, so that's what he will do with Gardner.

Uh, MI scored 59 the other day, right? I think they are ok.

Makes alotta sense, yea. But I don't think we want to be responsible for revisiting the recruiting issue, the guys who like stars, the guys who hate 'em and love a 'walk on's heart'...blah blah blah. No, we dont wanna go there.

It doesn't have to turn into a stars issue. Here's a recruiting trail example I'll use from two Pelini era recruits at LB..."Hi Will Compton, you have some good high school numbers at the LB position.....let me ask you, what's your time in the 40 and the 100?".........fast forward four years later....."Hi Josh Banderas, you have some good high school numbers at the LB position.....let me ask you, what's your time in the 40 and the 100?".

Not sure I follow you there, Sker. ? Banderas is supposed to be better than Compton, right?

Bando is faster, so his chances of being better than Compton at LB are good.....and the point is it doesn't have to be a star discussion.

The proliferation of the mobile QB, who is able to also pass, is what makes the spread defenses so hard to defend. McBride was able to send Wistrom and company off the edges and attack Wuerfel because the QB was a statue. Without the fear of the QB taking off and run at any time, the defenses were able to attack more freely. With today's mobile QB's who can also throw, it's so much easier for them to move around in the backfield and make a pass to an open receiver down field. Smith from Wyoming did that countless times last week. Defenses today, have to play more contain/coverage, try to get pressure with their front 4, and try to limit the big plays in the secondary.

Another example involving a Smith was in 1997.....a championship year for us. We destroyed Peyton Manning and the Vols in the bowl game, but Brad Smith gave our defense fits in that Missouri game (the Flea Kicker game).

It was Corby Jones for Missouri in 1997, but it's exactly the same point. Smith destroyed Pelini's defense in the 2003 NU-Mizzou game.

Chase Daniels destroyed him in '08.

Yeah, what's your point?

The proliferation of the mobile QB, who is able to also pass, is what makes the spread defenses so hard to defend. McBride was able to send Wistrom and company off the edges and attack Wuerfel because the QB was a statue. Without the fear of the QB taking off and run at any time, the defenses were able to attack more freely. With today's mobile QB's who can also throw, it's so much easier for them to move around in the backfield and make a pass to an open receiver down field. Smith from Wyoming did that countless times last week. Defenses today, have to play more contain/coverage, try to get pressure with their front 4, and try to limit the big plays in the secondary.

Another example involving a Smith was in 1997.....a championship year for us. We destroyed Peyton Manning and the Vols in the bowl game, but Brad Smith gave our defense fits in that Missouri game (the Flea Kicker game).

It was Corby Jones for Missouri in 1997, but it's exactly the same point. Smith destroyed Pelini's defense in the 2003 NU-Mizzou game.

However Pelini's defense destroyed Gabbert in '09 and '10.

http://www.tunnelwalkofshame.com/

Its almost like I wrote this....Smart dude :)

That’s it. 5 minutes. A dozen plays - half of which didn’t include our defense. Sure, we can’t draw a lot of conclusions from this series of hypotheticals. But here’s one thing I know: had Nebraska won that game 44-21, nobody would be worried at all. At all. “21 points and 475 yards isn’t terrible. They’ve got some real play-makers. For the first game, that was pretty good.” But no. We watched a 5-minute implosion that nearly resulted in disaster and the narrative instantly became, “This defense is doomed! Fire Bo Pelini! Murder John Papuchis!”

Makes alotta sense, yea. But I don't think we want to be responsible for revisiting the recruiting issue, the guys who like stars, the guys who hate 'em and love a 'walk on's heart'...blah blah blah. No, we dont wanna go there.

It doesn't have to turn into a stars issue. Here's a recruiting trail example I'll use from two Pelini era recruits at LB..."Hi Will Compton, you have some good high school numbers at the LB position.....let me ask you, what's your time in the 40 and the 100?".........fast forward four years later....."Hi Josh Banderas, you have some good high school numbers at the LB position.....let me ask you, what's your time in the 40 and the 100?".

Not sure I follow you there, Sker. ? Banderas is supposed to be better than Compton, right?

Bando is faster, so his chances of being better than Compton at LB are good.....and the point is it doesn't have to be a star discussion.

I'm a star guy, so I dont think I could avoid it.

That’s it. 5 minutes. A dozen plays - half of which didn’t include our defense. Sure, we can’t draw a lot of conclusions from this series of hypotheticals. But here’s one thing I know: had Nebraska won that game 44-21, nobody would be worried at all. At all. “21 points and 475 yards isn’t terrible. They’ve got some real play-makers. For the first game, that was pretty good.” But no. We watched a 5-minute implosion that nearly resulted in disaster and the narrative instantly became, “This defense is doomed! Fire Bo Pelini! Murder John Papuchis!”

HOW DARE YOU BRING LOGIC ON THIS BOARD, DON'T EVER POST THAT DRIBBLE AGAIN.

For the most part, Pelini's defenses do very well against statue QB's. It's the mobile QB's that cause most trouble for Bo (and most DC's).

That's it! Murder John Papuchis and HuskerFowler!!! :sarcasm

Oops, thank you for that correction.....it was Corby in '97 for Mizzou.

It's not like Mizzou ran up and down the field on our D. They didn't even hit 400 total yards in that game.

They got in the endzone enough to put up 38 points.

That's it! Murder John Papuchis and HuskerFowler!!! :sarcasm

• Fire 1

Well, that didnt happen, the score was 37-34, we gave up 600+ yds, and dropped 4 spots in the polls, are sitting #113 in defense. 475 doesnt sound that great either. Anyway, I havent been a 'fire Bo' guy, but there are meltdowns and you never know when they are going to happen, like at the end of the year when one would've assumed progress. I predict 8-4 and a serious hotseat for Bo scenario at the end of the reg season. Not trying to be negative, not saying I want that to happen, because I don't, just the way it looks to me after the 1st game.

And what upsets me the most is now I can't go talking smack anymore on Northwestern's and KState's boards after the lackluster win.

Suh

3998865550_69a2c94682.jpg

And I thought we were talking about mobile QBs, no?

I know rewriting he chain of events to make us feel better, well, makes us feel better. But what if we give Wyoming a TD on SJB's INT? Then we're looking at a 21-3 Wyoming lead instead of 14-10.

It's a cute game, but ultimately pointless. And entirely nonsensical.