Up Tempo Offense

a much slower tempo, in theory, should keep the defense off the field, provided we can run the ball.

It also gives their defense time to catch their breath. The purpose of the up-tempo offense is to wear the defense down and not let them sub or get their plays in. We saw many times last year how tired the opposing defense was in the fourth quarter.

I think there's too much emphasis on the pace of the offense anymore. I don't think it's necessary to get on a roll and go no huddle to be successful. That being said I think Beck does a fine job with the tempo. It's not like we're running the Oregon pace the entire game and slows the game down when he needs to. I'm sure a lot of us would slow it down and run out of a huddle more than Beck does, but it's his decision and what he knows. I think Beck takes a lot more heat than what he deserves since his offenses have been so productive.

There are times I wish we would go faster. Most of the time TM will walk up to the line, mosey back and then snap it. I guess it keeps them from subbing but it never seems to catch them off guard or unset. Heck when Wyoming went hurry up, they were snapping it much quicker than we were. We are nowhere near Oregon tempo.

There are times I wish we would go faster. Most of the time TM will walk up to the line, mosey back and then snap it. I guess it keeps them from subbing but it never seems to catch them off guard or unset. Heck when Wyoming went hurry up, they were snapping it much quicker than we were. We are nowhere near Oregon tempo.

Agree with Tempo. Last week, we did not even resemble an offense that had the ability to go uptempo. That's what really stunk. I figured if our D was serviceable (top 50 against the run) our O would be able to hang enough points on anyone to win the game. After last week, the O was Jekyll and Hyde again. I really wish we would excel at what we do great and scrap the rest. Year 3 with the same staff and skill guys, we should easily know what we can do well and what stinks.

agree, the way we do hurry up is a morphed version...more like a worry up...for their defense.

It's pretty obvious if you watch it guys. clearly the coaches don't completely trust Taylor's ability to read a defense. Heck, Taylor might not even trust it himself. The only time we will be Oregon fast is when we are lining up and running it, like the 3rd quarter against Wyoming. If we are going to try to spread it out a bit, it's gonna be delayed a bit. Just the way it is.

I think Beck's O gets lined up and ready for the snap way faster than any Osborne offense. And that keeps the D from substituting. But Martinez generally changes the play at least once, so the snap isn't much faster at all. Which works to our advantage since it eats time off the clock.

• Fire 1