So.....who ya gonna get?

arkiehusker

Petersen and Strong are at the top of the list. Both have had success as a HC and are currently at programs that do not have the ceiling of Nebraska, we are a big step up in prestige and salary. If we are not careful, Petersen could get picked off by USC and Strong by Texas. I would go after these guys and see where it goes from there.

Sounds like message board fantasy. Rarely do successful guys at top programs leave to directly go to another big job. I can only think of one recent move like that - Kiffen leaving Tennessee to go to USC. Look at other major programs. Michigan hired a HC from a mid-major. Ohio State hired someone who had been out of coaching for a year. Alabama hired someone who was failing in the NFL. Florida hired a DC. Oklahoma hired a DC. FSU promoted a HCIW. Clemson hired a WR coach. Oregon promoted a OC. Miami hired someone from Temple. Texas A&M hired from a mid-major. Richt himself was an OC. Wisconsin hired from a mid-major.

But Richt is just going to walk away from a powerhouse he rebuilt to come to Nebraska. Sure.

I don't completely disagree with your point but you missed Bret Bielema from Wisconsin to Arkansas and Tuberville from Texas Tech to Cincinnati. It happens more often than we realize.

• Fire 1

Petersen and Strong are at the top of the list. Both have had success as a HC and are currently at programs that do not have the ceiling of Nebraska, we are a big step up in prestige and salary. If we are not careful, Petersen could get picked off by USC and Strong by Texas. I would go after these guys and see where it goes from there.

There is not currently an opening for a head football coach at the University of Nebraska.

Sounds like message board fantasy. Rarely do successful guys at top programs leave to directly go to another big job. I can only think of one recent move like that - Kiffen leaving Tennessee to go to USC. Look at other major programs. Michigan hired a HC from a mid-major. Ohio State hired someone who had been out of coaching for a year. Alabama hired someone who was failing in the NFL. Florida hired a DC. Oklahoma hired a DC. FSU promoted a HCIW. Clemson hired a WR coach. Oregon promoted a OC. Miami hired someone from Temple. Texas A&M hired from a mid-major. Richt himself was an OC. Wisconsin hired from a mid-major.

But Richt is just going to walk away from a powerhouse he rebuilt to come to Nebraska. Sure.

I don't completely disagree with your point but you missed Bret Bielema from Wisconsin to Arkansas and Tuberville from Texas Tech to Cincinnati. It happens more often than we realize.

Tuberville was fired from Tech for his little sideline incident.

There is not currently an opening for a head football coach at the University of Nebraska, yet.

Fixed it for ya ;)

There is not currently an opening for a head football coach at the University of Nebraska, yet.

Fixed it for ya ;)

The word currently took care of that in my original post......but I'm confident Pelini will be around. We'll see. I'm not interested in a 5 year cycle of replacing coaches.

So.....who ya gonna get?

Someone who will hire a competent coaching staff, has some ability to understand the Culture of Nebraska Football, and is able to stand in front of the camera and be gracious enough to not look like an angry person.

What if the fundamental problem is "the Culture of Nebraska Football?"

New guy here. Been a lurker for way too long (few years). Has anyone suggested Bronco Mendenhall? He has a good record over at BYU and he made a gutsy call to hire new assistants and run a fast up-tempo offense. For those who didn't see the BYU/Texass game, they kept pounding the rock because it worked, and the Laghorns couldn't stop it. I think he hired assistants that learned from Rich Rodriguez' offensive style. Can you imagine us running an offense like Rodriguez had over at WV?

I've seen in other threads Tressel was mentioned. That's a gamble. Richt is BP 2.0 except can get talent easier and doesn't have anger problems. So, I'd say no to that. I'm also not for another learn on the job type of coach. I think at this point, we need someone who can UPGRADE our team from being "almost there" to we're right around the corner.

What if we went after Mendenhall without having to go overboard on paying him since I believe he makes $900k over at BYU and bring Frost in and double maybe even triple his salary at Oregon? As far as defense goes, I'm not 100% sure but I think Mendenhall is supportive of a 3-3-5 blitzing/aggressive defense. Could that work in the B1G? Anyway, those are my thoughts.

New guy here. Been a lurker for way too long (few years). Has anyone suggested Bronco Mendenhall? He has a good record over at BYU and he made a gutsy call to hire new assistants and run a fast up-tempo offense. For those who didn't see the BYU/Texass game, they kept pounding the rock because it worked, and the Laghorns couldn't stop it. I think he hired assistants that learned from Rich Rodriguez' offensive style. Can you imagine us running an offense like Rodriguez had over at WV?

I've seen in other threads Tressel was mentioned. That's a gamble. Richt is BP 2.0 except can get talent easier and doesn't have anger problems. So, I'd say no to that. I'm also not for another learn on the job type of coach. I think at this point, we need someone who can UPGRADE our team from being "almost there" to we're right around the corner.

What if we went after Mendenhall without having to go overboard on paying him since I believe he makes $900k over at BYU and bring Frost in and double maybe even triple his salary at Oregon? As far as defense goes, I'm not 100% sure but I think Mendenhall is supportive of a 3-3-5 blitzing/aggressive defense. Could that work in the B1G? Anyway, those are my thoughts.

The Mendenhall idea is kind of intriguing, but lets see how the rest of the year plays out before we try to make an assumption on him. Texas is complete garbage right now.

The Mendenhall idea is kind of intriguing, but lets see how the rest of the year plays out before we try to make an assumption on him. Texas is complete garbage right now.

Yeah I'm glad we are not Texas but atleast Mack had the testicular fortitude to can his DC. Maybe Bo should do this same thing then Beck can take over as interim HC, lol.

I would say Mendenhall has a bit more to prove, but I like where you're going with picking someone like that.

IMHO it would be great to find someone similar to the HC who just beat us - Mora - someone with HC experience, either in FBS, FCS or NFL, who is a genius of a coach and capable of getting a very good staff in place. I don't have names at the moment, but it seems like UCLA has a nice blueprint for a program (like Nebraska) that wants and needs to get to the next level.

I would say Mendenhall has a bit more to prove, but I like where you're going with picking someone like that.

IMHO it would be great to find someone similar to the HC who just beat us - Mora - someone with HC experience, either in FBS, FCS or NFL, who is a genius of a coach and capable of getting a very good staff in place. I don't have names at the moment, but it seems like UCLA has a nice blueprint for a program (like Nebraska) that wants and needs to get to the next level.

I think it would be very hard to snag Mora or someone who beat us. Mora can easily recruit out there in California. I only lean on someone like Mendenhall mainly because his overall record there is 75-30 and he is doing more with less. Yeah, the conference there isn't the greatest but they have beaten OU/Texas during his time there.

I think it would be very hard to snag Mora or someone who beat us. Mora can easily recruit out there in California. I only lean on someone like Mendenhall mainly because his overall record there is 75-30 and he is doing more with less. Yeah, the conference there isn't the greatest but they have beaten OU/Texas during his time there.

They weren't saying Mora specifically. They said someone like Mora.