So.....who ya gonna get?

arkiehusker

If we are willing to open up the checkbook, which I believe we are as this is the hire that could take us back to elite or hamper us even more. We have to throw around big money to show how serious we are. 4 mil a year at some of these names that have been mentioned at the very least get some coaches talking about NU and how serious we are.

Bo's making 3.1 mil now. If it comes to this, another mill and half or so is NOT gonna be an issue if boosters and the AD are serious about it. But it would be a very critical decision.

But again, the wheels have to completely come off '07 style. Basing such a decision as we did in '03 will just cause another disaster, I believe.

I actually completely disagree. If we get blown out a few more times this season and potentially do not make the B1G championship Bo will be gone and no one will think twice of it. The national media is already writing columns about how Bo has flat lined and his defense is crap. Everyone has watched us get spanked over and over again with Bo as our HC. In 2003 we showed massive improvement and were only a couple years removed from a national championship. We were still nationally relevant. Fast forward to the present and you have a program that has declined each season under Pelini. Everyone sees is nationally and we are no longer nationally relevant because of it. Completely different in my opinion.

First off, we have not declined each season under Pelini. His first 3 years (narrowed to 2 1/2 until a brief top 5 ranking going into the Texas game) were actually a very encouraging ascending of the program. The crash began in College Station in 2010. Yes, I'll that it's been a steady decline since. A decline that includes playing in 2 conference championship games. Numerious programs wish they were so unfortunate, right? The other point is this, only 3 games into this year, the book is not nearly closed on this season yet. No coaching changes are gonna take place within the season, which is why I'm taking a less stressful wait-and-see approach.

Now, in regards to what it would take to pull the trigger, I believe we as a program are close enough to that edge now, that regardless of the season's outcome record wise, and couple/3 more blowout losses would equivilate "the wheels coming off" as I alluded too. That's the "no progress" that I have ultimated to in regards to regaining my faith as a fan. The blowouts have to stop NOW. We could lose 5 more games this year, but if theyre highly contested, and we play inspired and competent football, I would not be nearly as dissappointed as I would only losing 2 more, having them be blowouts, and being games if non competitiveness, horrible effort, and complete lack of passion as we saw in the second half yesterday. It's time for Bo to show us that he's still got a good connection with this team. If he cant, then yes, the results will show that, and it'll be time to move one.

We're gonna for sure in 3 months, but have a good idea in 3 weeks.

• Fire 1

Matthew_m_g, you believe Richt is realistic because he is from Omaha? Being from somewhere isn't enough of a reason to leave a great program you have built back up just to make a lateral move. He has stronger connections to Miami. He played there. Why didn't he take that job if he's open to leaving Georgia? You're reaching here. The chances that he leaves Georgia to make any lateral move are very slim.

Matthew_m_g, you believe Richt is realistic because he is from Omaha? Being from somewhere isn't enough of a reason to leave a great program you have built back up just to make a lateral move. He has stronger connections to Miami. He played there. Why didn't he take that job if he's open to leaving Georgia? You're reaching here. The chances that he leaves Georgia to make any lateral move are very slim.

No Cisco, that's not what I said. If you're going to troll your own thread, do it right, please.

This is what I actually said a while back:

"And yes, I know recruiting will be more of a challenge (for Richt), but you sell him on the idea (truth, really) that the B1G is an easier road to the NC. That, and that Nebraska could very easily be top dog in the B1G, while Georgia is, at best, a perennial third (or fourth, depending on aTm) best team.

Richt is an admitted Nebraska fan from Omaha, which helps soothe the boosters that need a "Nebraska Man ™"; allow him to assemble his staff, and watch him win big stage games that have eluded us this far."

Nowhere did I say Richt is realistic because he is from Omaha--I said Richt is realistic because of the implication that Richt has done all he can with Georgia in the SEC, and they're still third or fourth fiddle at best. Barring an epic collapse and/or NCAA sanctions, that won't likely change in the next 10 years.

No, the appeal to get Richt at Nebraska isn't because he's a Nebraska fan or because he's from Omaha--that crap is there to make boosters happy.

The appeal is about Richt's legacy--you go ask Richt if he's content being third billing in the SEC, or would he like the chance to rule a conference, take an easier road to the NC, and actually win one? Because if he did that at Nebraska, folks inside and out are going to easily gloss over that he left the SEC for an easier conference. Winning titles tends to make history and perception fuzzy like that.

Now, couple this appeal to his legacy with a large SEC-style paycheck, and you can get Richt to Lincoln in a possible and plausible manner.

Sounds like message board fantasy. Rarely do successful guys at top programs leave to directly go to another big job. I can only think of one recent move like that - Kiffen leaving Tennessee to go to USC. Look at other major programs. Michigan hired a HC from a mid-major. Ohio State hired someone who had been out of coaching for a year. Alabama hired someone who was failing in the NFL. Florida hired a DC. Oklahoma hired a DC. FSU promoted a HCIW. Clemson hired a WR coach. Oregon promoted a OC. Miami hired someone from Temple. Texas A&M hired from a mid-major. Richt himself was an OC. Wisconsin hired from a mid-major.

But Richt is just going to walk away from a powerhouse he rebuilt to come to Nebraska. Sure.

• Fire 1