Pelini on Tommie Frazier "We don't need him"

True2tRA

When I watched the presser and heard him, Bo, say what he did I thought, can't wait for the firestorm on this. Bo's right, he doesn't want any negative talk around the team. I sympathize with Tommie. He did build a "Dynasty" and too see it fall from grace by the one thing that everyone is blaming, not finishing and the total opposite of what Tommie did, finish, has got to be hard on him. I don't know the relationship between Tommie and Bo and I don't pretend too. This was Bo, like Knapp said, blowing it off.

I really REALLY compare this to my thoughts on the booster from North Platte. If you genuinely care about the program and truely want it to succeed, you just keep your mouth shut. This also applies to Tommie. If he genuinely cared for the program and not about some grudge he has cuz his nephew/cousin/whatever the heck he was (Carnes) "supposedly" got screwed out of playing time, then he would shut up too, or at least offer words of encouragement.

Another thing that I havent seen yet is the possible impacts Frazier's comments could have on recruiting. What do you think kids are saying nationwide. "Oh sh#t, one of Nebraska's greatest ever says there needs to be a change". Seriously Tommie, if you really care, shut your yapper.

• Fire 1

I really REALLY compare this to my thoughts on the booster from North Platte. If you genuinely care about the program and truely want it to succeed, you just keep your mouth shut. This also applies to Tommie. If he genuinely cared for the program and not about some grudge he has cuz his nephew/cousin/whatever the heck he was (Carnes) "supposedly" got screwed out of playing time, then he would shut up too, or at least offer words of encouragement.

Another thing that I havent seen yet is the possible impacts Frazier's comments could have on recruiting. What do you think kids are saying nationwide. "Oh sh#t, one of Nebraska's greatest ever says there needs to be a change". Seriously Tommie, if you really care, shut your yapper.

recruits don't need to hear TF to know things are jacked up in Lincoln....they have eyes.

Understanding another person's motives is hard to do with any accuracy. To assert that Tommie does not "care" about NU (or, at least question whether he does) is not something we can really do. Perhaps he does care. Deeply. So much so that he thinks what is best for the program is to have a coaching change. That is, perhaps he cares so much about the program he is willing to speak out. Or perhaps he does not care so much. Who knows? Neither of us can really know what motivated what he said... unless he tells us why he said it.

Anyway... he said what he said and could have done do more professionally --- and Bo could have responded more professionally.

Regarding recruiting... someone asked about the impact on recruiting of the Tommie/Bo tiff? Well. Potential recruits will read this webpage (and the other one). And they will read the newspaper columns in Nebraska. And they will directly hear what ESPN and other venues at the national level say (or have opposing team recruiters point out to them all these things if they have not already seen it). So... ample stuff is out there for an opposing recruiter to recruit against NU. That is... basically, the proverbial horse is already out of the barn kind of thing --- look at scores, see what is written... and much exists that already makes recruiting difficult. The Tommie/Bo thing is just another horse following the others.

I'm fine with it, we really don't need Tommie. This is Bo's team, if former players want to take swipes at him he should be able to defend himself.

+1

While I respect Tommy...he's taking a swipe at a program because it's not up to what it was when he played......

1. in a different conference

2. under a different coach

3. playing different oponents

4. in a different era of football

So, unfortunately...he lacks perspective....and while he has more than most of us being closer to the team and the program than we are...he still clearly has no idea what it takes to be a head coach.

I think Bo saying this is defending, not the program...but the players. Tommy disrespected them with his comments imho.

I started to read this thread and only got this far.

Tommie didnt disrespect the players, he was talking coaches. I side with Tommie on this. What he said had NOTHING to do with comparing to when he played. How do you make this sh#t up?

Tommie is right. How do you not make changes to ty and help the team. Why does Bo have to be so f'ing stubborn? He said nothing different than what 100 threads and 1000 posts have said right here on this board.

I hope that all ex players show there disgust for what has happened to this program over the last 6 years. Their voices are heard and our voices are not.

I'm fine with it, we really don't need Tommie. This is Bo's team, if former players want to take swipes at him he should be able to defend himself.

+1

While I respect Tommy...he's taking a swipe at a program because it's not up to what it was when he played......

1. in a different conference

2. under a different coach

3. playing different oponents

4. in a different era of football

So, unfortunately...he lacks perspective....and while he has more than most of us being closer to the team and the program than we are...he still clearly has no idea what it takes to be a head coach.

I think Bo saying this is defending, not the program...but the players. Tommy disrespected them with his comments imho.

I started to read this thread and only got this far.

Tommie didnt disrespect the players, he was talking coaches. I side with Tommie on this. What he said had NOTHING to do with comparing to when he played. How do you make this sh#t up?

Tommie is right. How do you not make changes to ty and help the team. Why does Bo have to be so f'ing stubborn? He said nothing different than what 100 threads and 1000 posts have said right here on this board.

I hope that all ex players show there disgust for what has happened to this program over the last 6 years. Their voices are heard and our voices are not.

It's funny how in so many fans' eyes, Tommie's opinion of our current coaching staff means less than anybody else's opinion just because he has a poor overall record as a football coach. It just doesn't make sense. He sees the same product on the field that we do, and he has an opinion of it. Why is that wrong?

• Fire 1

No, Frazier chose wrong by airing his dirty laundry in public like a 12 year old. If he had a problem that big with the program he needs to SACK UP and call Pelini and get a meeting on the books and tell him LIKE A MAN.

Instead, we get this bullcrap.

Sorry guys, Tommy was 100% wrong for what he did and he needs to nut up and admit it.

What dirty laundry?

Tommie chose to have an opinion that MANY folks on here had. Tommie just happens to be a Husker legend, and a noticeable voice among us all.

I mean, are we all supposed to be held to the same standard that you are setting for Tommie? Or is it just that because he's Tommie, and a former player, he's not supposed to have a public opinion if it is critical?

I'm sure if Tommie was sunshine pumping in public about Bo, there would be a post about that. But instead of being critical of Tommie, we would be heaping praise.

Willie, taking your example statement -- I am sure Bo would be catching a little flak for referring to Tommie as 'people like that.' I guess 'we don't need him' is a strong rebuke, but Tommie took a strong swipe as well.

How so? Tommie has never been a fan of Bo. People, especially in the press, know that and realize that.

When I refer to 'people this like', I mean people like a Dirk or Tommie who have always been hard on Bo, no matter the situation.

But regardless of that, as I said, criticisms happen as a coach. Negatively react to those criticisms, such as today, and you only make things worse. Bring levity, and you think the reaction would be the same?

Listen, I know Tommie is an a..hole. He's very outspoken, and doesn't like to bite his tongue. But Tommie also is not an employee of the University. And he isn't a representative of the state, nor a representative of 105 young men, either.

Bo is.

One of these guys needs to learn how to publicly versus privately handle situations where one has much more to lose than the other.

• Fire 2

No, Frazier chose wrong by airing his dirty laundry in public like a 12 year old. If he had a problem that big with the program he needs to SACK UP and call Pelini and get a meeting on the books and tell him LIKE A MAN.

Instead, we get this bullcrap.

Sorry guys, Tommy was 100% wrong for what he did and he needs to nut up and admit it.

What dirty laundry?

Tommie chose to have an opinion that MANY folks on here had. Tommie just happens to be a Husker legend, and a noticeable voice among us all.

I mean, are we all supposed to be held to the same standard that you are setting for Tommie? Or is it just that because he's Tommie, and a former player, he's not supposed to have a public opinion if it is critical?

I'm sure if Tommie was sunshine pumping in public about Bo, there would be a post about that. But instead of being critical of Tommie, we would be heaping praise.

Willie, taking your example statement -- I am sure Bo would be catching a little flak for referring to Tommie as 'people like that.' I guess 'we don't need him' is a strong rebuke, but Tommie took a strong swipe as well.

How so? Tommie has never been a fan of Bo. People, especially in the press, know that and realize that.

When I refer to 'people this like', I mean people like a Dirk or Tommie who have always been hard on Bo, no matter the situation.

But regardless of that, as I said, criticisms happen as a coach. Negatively react to those criticisms, such as today, and you only make things worse. Bring levity, and you think the reaction would be the same?

Listen, I know Tommie is an a..hole. He's very outspoken, and doesn't like to bite his tongue. But Tommie also is not an employee of the University. And he isn't a representative of the state, nor a representative of 105 young men, either.

Bo is.

One of these guys needs to learn how to publicly versus privately handle situations where one has much more to lose than the other.

true enough. One is a highly paid professional expected to have diplomacy and the wherewithal to deal with public criticism. The other is a high profile fan. The standards/expectations for the former vastly exceed those of the latter.