Bo's Job Security - 2013 (Poll 2)

knapplc

Poll: Bo Pelini's job security   

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is the second in a planned four-part poll series regarding Bo's job security. I ran this poll in July, and at that time I announced I would be running it three more times to see how the mood of Husker Nation changed throughout the season.

Lest anyone think I'm trying to stir up trouble, I announced the schedule in July on the first poll.

Last time I ran this poll, before Fall Camp had started, the results were:

How likely is it that Bo Pelini gets fired after the 2013 season?

Very Likely - 2

Somewhat Likely - 1

Unsure - 4

Somewhat Unlikely - 14

Very Unlikely - 129

This poll will close on Friday, October 4th, just before the Illinois game. I will run it again just after the regular season ends, and one last time after the bowl game.

Unsure. Would be "somewhat unlikely", but now with the audio release, the incredible defensive struggles, and a full-blown, mid-season qb competition (I dont like calling it a controversey because, well, yeah, you know...), I really just dont know where the program is going right now. I see major psychological issues on the defensive side of the ball, and a very explosive offense that can obviously carry this team, but, it's now got a major question mark as to where we go from here with the qb position. I'm pretty much unsure about everything Husker football right now.

I voted for "somewhat unlikely" because I think we still pull out a 9-3 record due to the ease of our schedule and Nebraska doesn't want to develop a reputation as "the school that fires .750 head coaches." Now, if the wording was "Will Bo Pelini be fired OR leave at the end of the year" I would probably vote for "somewhat likely." I think if we limp to an uninspiring 9-3 regular season that includes no real inspiring wins and another blowout loss or two, Bo will probably recognize that things have stagnated and it'd be best for everyone if he moved on.

I should say that I'm hopeful (not optimistic, but hopeful) that the defense will show significant improvement by mid-October and we can still have a good year that results in a trip to Indy. I'm not sure that'll happen, but I think it'd be a mistake to give up on a clearly talented team too quickly.

I changed from Very Unlikely to Somewhat Unlikely.

As HuskerLuke said, I think 9 wins (at least) is still pretty likely and I'd still be surprised if he gets the boot after that. However, if the two other losses are Northwestern and Michigan (although it really doesn't matter but those are the two toughest games left) and we keep getting shredded, he could be gone. Most coaches would have the chance to get a new DC and have another year but Bo won't have that luxury.

I voted somewhat likely - but I'm kind of on the fence between that and somewhat unlikely. Things go as planned and I think he gets another year, a chance to fire his defensive staff and try again. But, things don't go as planned and we go 8-4, or even 7-5 which is looking more and more likely with each week...and he's gone. I see 3 more losses on the schedule, possibly 4.

One thing is for certain, someone is getting fired this year.

I voted somewhat likely - but I'm kind of on the fence between that and somewhat unlikely. Things go as planned and I think he gets another year, a chance to fire his defensive staff and try again. But, things don't go as planned and we go 8-4, or even 7-5 which is looking more and more likely with each week...and he's gone. I see 3 more losses on the schedule, possibly 4.

One thing is for certain, someone is getting fired this year.

Wait, 7-5 looked more likely this week than last? I don't mean this as Nebraska looking better, but our competition looking much, much worse. Northwestern was very meh against Maine. Michigan isn't that good either.

I voted somewhat likely - but I'm kind of on the fence between that and somewhat unlikely.

So ... "Unsure"? :D

Yup, pretty much on the fence here. I can't see him getting fired with 9 wins...and this schedule is just too damn easy not to get 9. But at the same time, the way things are going...the 2007 similarities are becoming more concrete with each passing week. 7 losses? Not a chance. But 5? Very possible. And that would be enough.

I voted very likely based on a couple of variables that are not part of the poll.

First: He needs to AT LEAST get to the CCG.

Second: Do not get blown out at the CCG.

Third: Do not get beat down at the bowl game.

Fourth: Be willing to let go of coaches not getting the job done and hire some that can.

Fifth: Need to win 9-10 games at minimum.

I think if fewer than 3 of these things happen, he is either fired or he walks.

Wait, 7-5 looked more likely this week than last? I don't mean this as Nebraska looking better, but our competition looking much, much worse. Northwestern was very meh against Maine. Michigan isn't that good either.

I know our competition looked meh - but we're gonna get gashed. I can't see out offense operating at the pace it did Saturday through conference play.

I voted "Unsure". It's all going to depend on how the rest of the season plays out. If we make it to the CCG and are at least very competitive, I think Bo will find himself on the sidelines next year still as the HC. If we don't make it to the CCG or if we do, we get blown out of the water again, he could find himself in the unemployment line.

I know our competition looked meh - but we're gonna get gashed. I can't see out offense operating at the pace it did Saturday through conference play.

See, I would have agreed with you before this week, but the level of competition that our opponents struggled against, it was incredible. UConn? Maine?

I'm not saying we'll destroy every team on our schedule, but I feel more confident that we can win enough of them to get to the CCG. Even a slight improvement to our defense would give us a huge advantage.

See, I would have agreed with you before this week, but the level of competition that our opponents struggled against, it was incredible. UConn? Maine?

I'm not saying we'll destroy every team on our schedule, but I feel more confident that we can win enough of them to get to the CCG. Even a slight improvement to our defense would give us a huge advantage.

Agree with you there. But we were saying the "even a slight improvement" thing all offseason...and it's actually gotten worse. We were expecting slight improvement on D (purely based on talent), and slight improvement on O giving us one of the most explosive offenses in the BCS. With those expectations, we were looking at 10 wins. Instead, the D has regressed, as has the O. I'm finding it harder and harder to see 9 wins there now. When the D gets gashed, the O struggles even more. I certainly wasn't worried about Illinois going into the season, but am now. Are you not with what we've seen thus far?

I'm going with wins against Purdue. Slight favorites against Illinois, Minnesota. Toss ups against Northwestern, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa (watched this one, they looked good). Dogs against Michigan.