Bo's Job Security - 2013 (Poll 2)

knapplc

Poll: Bo Pelini's job security   

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It appears it will take back to back .500 seasons which would be impossible even for Pelini in this conference considering Jamrogs scheduling of non conference even though he said it appeared the last regime "scheduled for wins"

As long as Bo has his guardian angel, he's safe. It was proven that Shawn E will not act accordingly in restoring the Nebraska Brand

Wyoming and UCLA are tough non conference opponents

It appears it will take back to back .500 seasons which would be impossible even for Pelini in this conference considering Jamrogs scheduling of non conference even though he said it appeared the last regime "scheduled for wins"

As long as Bo has his guardian angel, he's safe. It was proven that Shawn E will not act accordingly in restoring the Nebraska Brand

Are you being funny, or do you mean it. Personally I think UCLA is looking very good we will see though. Wyoming is looking way better than I thought. I think 8-4 at the worst for them. I live in mt West Country they look as good as anyone.

For me it really is just a matter of BP putting the D in a position to be successful and they will pick up confidence and get better.

Again they are not going to be elite but they can be serviceable.

I voted very unlikely because both Perlman and Eichorst had Pelini's back with that audio tape. No suspension, no fine, nothing and that leads me to believe that Bo will be safe this year but if he has another rough season next year than more than likely Bo will be gone.

It took Callahan two losing seasons to get the boot so I can see Bo having the same ultimatum if it comes down to that.

I voted very unlikely because both Perlman and Eichorst had Pelini's back with that audio tape. No suspension, no fine, nothing and that leads me to believe that Bo will be safe this year but if he has another rough season next year than more than likely Bo will be gone.

It took Callahan two losing seasons to get the boot so I can see Bo having the same ultimatum if it comes down to that.

TO had Bo's back. Let's face it. Once Shawn and Harv heard Tom was coming out in support, they had no choice but to follow suit. Tom Osborne just has the effect on the entire state like that. He's just a calm blanket over everything. I truly believe in my heart that without Tom to all but save the situation last week, Bo wouldve been fired midweek.

Are you being funny, or do you mean it. Personally I think UCLA is looking very good we will see though. Wyoming is looking way better than I thought. I think 8-4 at the worst for them. I live in mt West Country they look as good as anyone.

For me it really is just a matter of BP putting the D in a position to be successful and they will pick up confidence and get better.

Again they are not going to be elite but they can be serviceable.

I am being serious. I live in Colorado and also have familiarity with Mountain West teams. Wyoming is a very good squad, and UCLA is climbing in the polls. And I'm with you....I'll let others hack on Pelini....as he figures out these puzzle pieces I think we'll be just fine on defense.

This poll will close on Friday, October 4th, just before the Illinois game. I will run it again just after the regular season ends, and one last time after the bowl game.

Just now caught this but if he is fired, it will almost assuredly be at the end of the regular season. There are almost no coaches that get fired after a bowl game.

Not sure that you want to change your schedule just I just thought I'd point that out.

I don't believe we fire Bo. If bo moves on of his own accord, even with a little behind the scenes help, I view that differently.

CFB is a "what have you done lately" beast, but the echoes of Frank Solich do still ring around the coaching world.

At the worst, I expect Bo might end up with some serious pressure to retool the defense, hire someone new, and quit trying to spread the job between himself and a D coordinator who really seems to be more of a whipping boy than a coordinator right now.

If we don't see the D massively improved in the next year or two, then I could see Bo being on the seriously hot seat.

Until then, it would be hard to fire him given the win percentage. I know the blowouts are puzzling, unacceptable, etc. But I think it is more palatable for everyone to try to fix those things with the staff we have. Rolling the dice on an entirely new staff and philosophy? I think that is incredibly unlikely for the next couple years, unless we see a losing season.

Love BO. Future looks bright. First time I've felt this way on both sides of the ball since he's been here. I think our D finally "gets it" through November, and we end up with a good season. I think next year though is where we really start to see pay dirt.

I think we have seen this movie before...

Until then, it would be hard to fire him given the win percentage. I know the blowouts are puzzling, unacceptable, etc. But I think it is more palatable for everyone to try to fix those things with the staff we have. Rolling the dice on an entirely new staff and philosophy? I think that is incredibly unlikely for the next couple years, unless we see a losing season.

Agreed

I voted somewhat unlikely. Over the last five years, we've simultaneously been a laughingstock and one of the winningest teams in CFB. It's weird. But Bo's never really come close to a losing season and we're probably not going to have one this year. Even if we finish the regular season 7-5, I have a hard time seeing Bo being shown the door. I think it's more likely he'd get the opportunity, like Solich, to do some house cleaning and take another run at it. I don't think Bo would be thrilled but nor do I think that he's going to get an offer to be a HC at another major program.

My biggest concern with Bo over the last several years has been recruiting. I think his touted improvement in that area has been overblown. It's been better, but not much better (unless our only comparison is 2008). If this is the best we can do now that we're in the conference best known for urban decay and losing, so be it. But I'm not convinced yet.

I really think that if Bo could have pulled out just one of the three CCGs, all else being equal, the conversation would be a lot different right now. It's been a long time since we won anything. Division "titles" and third-tier bowl trophies don't count.

Not sure where to best put this line of thinking so I suppose here is as good as any.

Up to now, my thought process about Pelini's defense has gone something like this:

- He's been shown to be able to field not only a good defense but an elite defense, and against better offense than most of the one's we're seeing lately.

- I don't put a lot of stock in the "has to have great players to make it work" argument because I think that's generally true of any defense and I think we've recruited better athletes the last couple years so I believe we're getting back to where we need to be on that front.

- I thought as we work some of the younger/more athletic guys into the mix and get some experience, we'd start to see some improvement

Unfortunately, I made another connection recently that has me more worried. As I said, we've had elite defenses totally shut down elite offenses so it's not like it can't be done. However, even though those Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, etc. offenses were great, they also made basically no attempt to run the ball. It now has me wondering if the concept of the defense is too heavily oriented toward stopping the pass that it can't be very effective against the run.

That probably sounds really basic to many of you and are now wondering how I'm so dense. But perhaps I've just been stuck on the part where our DLine (save Crick) and LBs (save David) have been so sub-par that that was mostly the reasons for our struggles. I still think we're lacking on the DLine but think we'd be adequate minus Ankrah and Randle. I also think our LBs are vastly improved (as long as Santos isn't on the field) so we're nearly to the place where I feel the talent needs to be so I guess we'll see how that works out going forward.