Do we still like the Big 10?

Well, there is more to it than just football. The short answer, when you bundle everything together on both sides (the sides being academics/research and sports), is pretty much what I recall TO saying... When the Big 10 comes offering, you don't turn them down. The added aside to that is, "Especially when you're part of the Big 12, which is a sh#t sucking conference with signs of major instability ahead, all things considered."

In the end, we all know what actually needs to happen. The NCAA needs to be left behind and college football needs to be formed into a series of tiered leagues like they do with soccer.

How do they do that in soccer? What is it that you envision with what you say. I have no notion of what they do with soccer.

the more interesting question is whether the B1G is glad NU is on board. NU was to have elevated the level of competition in B1G football and increase overall interest in the conference. It would seem that, thus far, NU has not delivered. But it is still early.

Frankly, I do not know what Rutgers or Maryland adds except geographic area for influence and recruiting --- which may be it right there. hard to say... but thus far, the moves that the B1G made and have in the pipeline have been not so great for the conference. The B1G is still not very good as a football conference... and, I suppose it remains to be seen... but it does not look to be getting much better in the immediate future. Still early though. Perhaps OSU can do something this year.

how have they not? we're better than most of the conference. now if the conference hadn't gone into the crapper the last couple of years maybe this wouldn't be the case, but without us the B1G is looking even worse right now.

I wrote something about this a couple of months ago about the Big 10 being irrelevant in football consistently since 1970, outside of the 2 Penn State years and 1 by each of Ohio State and Michigan. And though Nebraska Fans have beef about the 09 Big 12 Title Game,but Washington State in the 1998 Rose Bowl and Miami in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl have more. I count Penn State in there if I can count Texas in the Big 12. Whereas in that time frame Nebraska won 5, OU Several, Colorado, and Texas each have won. The Big 12 last couple of years was considered the second best conference behind the SEC (BCS said toughest).

The Big Ten does cater to Michigan and Ohio State an example was a couple of months ago their game of the week was the Nebraska-Ohio State game in Columbus where Nebraska was embarrassed.

The only thing I miss about the Big 12 is the athletic competition. I know the B1G is expanding, and i also know theres more to life than sports, but it would be nice if teams coming in would help the football world. The Big Ten is really hurting right now as far as competitive football and Rutgers ans Maryland really dont help the matter. The sooner the football picks up, the sooner the Huskers will be back up. I just miss facing sCUm on the day after thanksgiving. Facing OU. Were trying to create rivalries out of thin air. It just doesnt work like this. We will find out in the next decade wether this was a good move for NU or not.

the more interesting question is whether the B1G is glad NU is on board. NU was to have elevated the level of competition in B1G football and increase overall interest in the conference. It would seem that, thus far, NU has not delivered. But it is still early.

Frankly, I do not know what Rutgers or Maryland adds except geographic area for influence and recruiting --- which may be it right there. hard to say... but thus far, the moves that the B1G made and have in the pipeline have been not so great for the conference. The B1G is still not very good as a football conference... and, I suppose it remains to be seen... but it does not look to be getting much better in the immediate future. Still early though. Perhaps OSU can do something this year.

both Rutgers and Maryland would beat 90% of the schools in this conference right now. And I hate saying that but it is what it is.

• Fire 1

both Rutgers and Maryland would beat 90% of the schools in this conference right now. And I hate saying that but it is what it is.

This. Maryland is actually ranked, and Rutgers is full of talent from kids that decided to stay home in NJ.

how have they not? we're better than most of the conference. now if the conference hadn't gone into the crapper the last couple of years maybe this wouldn't be the case, but without us the B1G is looking even worse right now.

What I was thinking was that the B1G envisioned NU to be alongside OSU as a national contender. And NU is not. They wanted... I would guess... NU to be a power that has national significance to elevate the top of the B1G. And... they have not delivered that.

NU has been upper middle of the conference. #3 or #4 or so --- even #5 in the conference. The B1G wanted a consistent #10 in the nation (or better) out of NU.

You are correct that NU has added something. but they (B1G) wanted a major program and NU has not been that. It may... some day get there again. But now... and for the foreseeable future (assuming no changes) the notion of NU being nationally competitive is rather unlikely.

You might be right.

Their history, however, is not so impressive. And their likelihood of national prominence is low. But again... that is now. perhaps things will change. Perhaps they will bring a great deal.

I'm sure it's better for Nebraska. And I don't put a lot of stock into the Big 10 Network, because the days of pay-per-view (I pay almost 100/year to have the channel with Time Warner) were pretty limited anyway. We were going to have an option of some sort in the next few years had we stayed, I'm sure of that.

As for my personal feelings on the matter...I'd take the Big 12 (assuming CO and Missouri are still in it) in a heart beat. Being a fan in KC isn't nearly as much fun when no one in the area really cares about B1G football. You neighbors, friends, co-workers, etc are all following KU, KSU, MU, etc and the discussion is Big 12 almost all the time. Which means we're not a part of the discussion down here anymore...and I'm a guy that spends A LOT of time at the bar bullshitting about sports, so it kinda sucks for me.

I know how ya feel :(.

I guess I don't see the big 12 as being all that relevant right now. Oklahoma doesn't look like a world beater to me and Baylor hasn't really played anyone yet, and Okie Lite just laid an egg against a poor W. Va. team.

The big 10 may not have 2-3 great teams right now, but it is a meat grinder of a conference IMO you have to come and play most games and I like the more physical style of play. I didn't like the pass happy game the big 12 has become.