Do we still like the Big 10?

I am going to preface that I was in favor of NU joining the Big 10, when it looked like the Big 12 was going to blow up. But, knowing what we do now, and with the Big 10 expanding to Maryland, Rutgers, and who knows where else, do you guys still like the Big 10?

I know that everyone says that the Big 12 catered to Texas and Oklahoma, but how is it any different from catering to Ohio State and Michigan (which the Big 10 does)? Games against Purdue, Illinois, and Indiana are about as exciting as playing KU, KSU, and ISU, but the big difference is that those schools are a short drive from Omaha/Lincoln.

To me, the best thing about the Big 10 is the Big Ten Network, because it guarantees football and other sports to be on TV.

What do you guys think?

On the whole, I think it's a good move.

From a pure football standpoint I miss the Big 12. I liked the manageable road trips to Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and even Missouri. I liked the brand of football better. I liked our status as a conference king pin. Basically if I could confer the evenhandedness and money of the Big Ten on to the Big 12, I would be in favor of going back. But that's not reality, so I think it was a good move.

From a pure football standpoint I miss the Big 12. I liked the manageable road trips to Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and even Missouri. I liked the brand of football better. I liked our status as a conference king pin. Basically if I could confer the evenhandedness and money of the Big Ten on to the Big 12, I would be in favor of going back. But that's not reality, so I think it was a good move.

Right now I'd say the B12 is probably the 4th or 5th best conference. Oklahoma is trying to escape and come to the B10 as we speak. KU will most likely come with them. That should fix a lot of the proximity issues.

I'm sure it's better for Nebraska. And I don't put a lot of stock into the Big 10 Network, because the days of pay-per-view (I pay almost 100/year to have the channel with Time Warner) were pretty limited anyway. We were going to have an option of some sort in the next few years had we stayed, I'm sure of that.

As for my personal feelings on the matter...I'd take the Big 12 (assuming CO and Missouri are still in it) in a heart beat. Being a fan in KC isn't nearly as much fun when no one in the area really cares about B1G football. You neighbors, friends, co-workers, etc are all following KU, KSU, MU, etc and the discussion is Big 12 almost all the time. Which means we're not a part of the discussion down here anymore...and I'm a guy that spends A LOT of time at the bar bullshitting about sports, so it kinda sucks for me.

C'mon, really? We're going to get down on the BTN because they're not decked out with wall-to-wall Nebraska coverage?

News Flash: Nebraska hasn't shown that they're deserving of wall-to-wall coverage. Win out and Nebraska will be the toast of the BTN again, and they'll talk about our exploits more.

Seriously--it's a night and day difference how the conferences are run, and will be run for the foreseeable future. Hell...there may not even be a conference once OU and Texass (and OSU and whomever wins the slapfight between Tech and Baylor) jump, or if some reports are to be believed, Kansas and another school join up to the B1G.

As for my personal feelings on the matter...I'd take the Big 12 (assuming CO and Missouri are still in it) in a heart beat. Being a fan in KC isn't nearly as much fun when no one in the area really cares about B1G football. You neighbors, friends, co-workers, etc are all following KU, KSU, MU, etc and the discussion is Big 12 almost all the time. Which means we're not a part of the discussion down here anymore...and I'm a guy that spends A LOT of time at the bar bullshitting about sports, so it kinda sucks for me.

See above. I seriously think that we'll see KU, or Mizzery, as part of the B1G discussion soon enough. But even if we aren't, it doesn't detract from the benefits that we've reaped joining the conference.

• Fire 1

Right now I'd say the B12 is probably the 4th or 5th best conference. Oklahoma is trying to escape and come to the B10 as we speak. KU will most likely come with them. That should fix a lot of the proximity issues.

I am sure if OU is trying to come to the B1G or not. I have no idea. But... if so, that would be great.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I have mixed feelings about the move. I really wonder about NU's "fit" in the Big 10. I am not saying the "fit" in the Big 12 was any better, but we knew where we stood against the former Big 8 schools. There is just a bunch of uncertainty going on with the Big 10, and all of college athletics. Maybe all of this will shake out in 5-10 years, and that was TO's and HP's reasoning for the move.

Well, there is more to it than just football. The short answer, when you bundle everything together on both sides (the sides being academics/research and sports), is pretty much what I recall TO saying... When the Big 10 comes offering, you don't turn them down. The added aside to that is, "Especially when you're part of the Big 12, which is a sh#t sucking conference with signs of major instability ahead, all things considered."

In the end, we all know what actually needs to happen. The NCAA needs to be left behind and college football needs to be formed into a series of tiered leagues like they do with soccer.

the more interesting question is whether the B1G is glad NU is on board. NU was to have elevated the level of competition in B1G football and increase overall interest in the conference. It would seem that, thus far, NU has not delivered. But it is still early.

Frankly, I do not know what Rutgers or Maryland adds except geographic area for influence and recruiting --- which may be it right there. hard to say... but thus far, the moves that the B1G made and have in the pipeline have been not so great for the conference. The B1G is still not very good as a football conference... and, I suppose it remains to be seen... but it does not look to be getting much better in the immediate future. Still early though. Perhaps OSU can do something this year.