**** What Did We Learn ****

That there is way too much hate for a QB who has given his all to the program. Likeing what we saw from Tommie but I'm kinda hoping Taylor will have a monster game to shutup the haters. Seriously some our fans are worse than the K-State student section ala 2010 directing their rage a Taylor. Go choke on some Hater-Aid haters, Martinez has never said anything bad about the program.

That there is way too much hate for a QB who has given his all to the program. Likeing what we saw from Tommie but I'm kinda hoping Taylor will have a monster game to shutup the haters. Seriously some our fans are worse than the K-State student section ala 2010 directing their rage a Taylor. Go choke on some Hater-Aid haters, Martinez has never said anything bad about the program.

I've tried to stay quiet on the whole Taylor Martinez/Armstrong thing. But what stood out to me Saturday was the non-pitch Armstrong pulled back on an option run and took the tackle on... That pitch was trouble from the start and he knew it. He took care of the football, because when playing the possesion game, live to fight another day is always always always better than risking something for a big play. Taylor Martinez, for all his positive attributes, would have pitched that ball. I've seen it before, and I have not seen any indication this season as to whether he is more adept at holding onto the little brown thing that decides games. I know, Tmagic only has 1 pick this year, hasn't fumbled much, blah blah. Whatever. Small sample size, same as what we have with Armstrong. But my gut seems to tell me Armstrong, as a freshman, is already far more advanced in ball security than Taylor will ever be. Just a feeling from the field, the presence he shows. Based on the rest of the Big 10 thus far, A BCS bowl is obtainable with a QB leading the way who doesn't turn the ball over. Not entirely sure that QB is Taylor.

I've tried to stay quiet on the whole Taylor Martinez/Armstrong thing. But what stood out to me Saturday was the non-pitch Armstrong pulled back on an option run and took the tackle on... That pitch was trouble from the start and he knew it. He took care of the football, because when playing the possesion game, live to fight another day is always always always better than risking something for a big play. Taylor Martinez, for all his positive attributes, would have pitched that ball. I've seen it before, and I have not seen any indication this season as to whether he is more adept at holding onto the little brown thing that decides games. I know, Tmagic only has 1 pick this year, hasn't fumbled much, blah blah. Whatever. Small sample size, same as what we have with Armstrong. But my gut seems to tell me Armstrong, as a freshman, is already far more advanced in ball security than Taylor will ever be. Just a feeling from the field, the presence he shows. Based on the rest of the Big 10 thus far, A BCS bowl is obtainable with a QB leading the way who doesn't turn the ball over. Not entirely sure that QB is Taylor.

You have no idea what Taylor would have done there.

He owns 37+ QB records at Nebraska. He's started over 45 games. He's bled for this program. Tommy's time will come. Until then, support TM because he WILL start for us when he's 100%.

47 fumbles as of the beginning of the season... 38 records?

I'm not going to get down on the coaching staff for the substitution penalties at the end of the game. Getting a lot of people in for game experience is something that Nebraska hasn't done the last two or three years.

Since the game was already won, I say put in everybody and their kid brother to get some snaps and some playing time, Even if we were going with a 4-3-4+1 defense... :clap

Of course, if we could do that AND not get penalized for 12 men on the field, that would be even better.

I forgot about that play, I was thinking the same thing when it happened.

It was like one of those amazing -1 yard Barry Sanders runs that should have been a 6 yard loss

It doesnt show up well on the stats, but it is a very good play.

TM as hard as he plays, likes to try to make something big from nothing a lot

That means underhanded laterals- backyard football stuff

That means carrying the ball way outside his frame, trying to make a big play- often times leading to fumbles

That means pitches on option plays when the RB is almost right on the sidelines

That means running straight backwards and then trying to get to the edge on his right side about every time he feels pressure

That means holding onto the ball to the very end- instead of throwing it away

Love the kid, his heart, courage and athletcism, not so much of a lot of the things he does

No one I know hates the kid, we like and admire him most of us. I just dont like a lot of the things he does on the football field

Not one snap count penalty on our O-linemen today, right? Seems like we must be learning something in that dept.

See what happens when Barney isn't "cocahing" them? I use that word very losely.

Except that he is still coaching them. We have 2 line coaches...when they break up the TE's go with Barney and the others stay with Garrison.

Nice try though.

Even if you don't believe me, those are Cotton's recruits so you still have that staring you down.

I'm not sure who the credit goes to. But the improvement is noticeable so far. Drive killing O-line flags make me pull my hair out.

You have no idea what Taylor would have done there.

He owns 37+ QB records at Nebraska. He's started over 45 games. He's bled for this program. Tommy's time will come. Until then, support TM because he WILL start for us when he's 100%.

Because TA has probably run more old-school option plays than Taylor has in his career. I have no problem saying TA has a different skill set and can do some things better than Martinez. But to cherry pick a few plays here and there and say he's a much better QB than Martinez. Both have their respective strengths and weaknesses. It took Martinez exactly one rushing attempt on the fourth snap of his career to turn in a 46 yard TD run. Armstrong doesn't have 46 rushing yards in a game yet.

• Fire 2

Not one snap count penalty on our O-linemen today, right? Seems like we must be learning something in that dept.

See what happens when Barney isn't "cocahing" them? I use that word very losely.

Except that he is still coaching them. We have 2 line coaches...when they break up the TE's go with Barney and the others stay with Garrison.

Nice try though.

Even if you don't believe me, those are Cotton's recruits so you still have that staring you down.

I'm not sure who the credit goes to. But the improvement is noticeable so far. Drive killing O-line flags make me pull my hair out.

PART of it starts with the QB

The QB has to make sure everyone is SET prior to calling the cadence

The QB ALSO has to make sure the alingment is correct and we have at least 7 on the LOS

When we have an illegal formation- that goes to the QB

When we have delay of game- that goes ot the QB

When we have an early snap count motion penalty- that usually goes to the QB

Some false starts also are on the QB- when his cadence isnt consistent

• Fire 1

The QB has to make sure everyone is SET prior to calling the cadence

The QB ALSO has to make sure the alingment is correct and we have at least 7 on the LOS

When we have an illegal formation- that goes to the QB

When we have delay of game- that goes ot the QB

When we have an early snap count motion penalty- that usually goes to the QB

Some false starts also are on the QB- when his cadence isnt consistent

Good points. I'd also like to add that we have upperclassmen, mostly seniors, on the OL which means they've been together for a long time. That helps a lot in consistency which often means fewer mistakes like penalties.

In some ways the QB can attempt to prevent several of these penalties, but to blame them all directly on the QB is silly.

The QB has to make sure everyone is SET prior to calling the cadence - True

The QB ALSO has to make sure the alingment is correct and we have at least 7 on the LOS - The QB SHOULD check on this but he has a lot more to do - find the defensive alignment and determine the scheme, watch the play clock, make any audibles or adjustments - than to make sure other guys are doing their very basic job. That's on the receivers

When we have an illegal formation- that goes to the QB - See above

When we have delay of game- that goes ot the QB - Yes, the QB should be paying attention to the play clock but there are a lot of other factors. Play coming in late, guys not aligning correctly, etc. Especially with coaches being able to call time out from the sideline, it's pretty easy to have some assistant assinged to the play clock.

When we have an early snap count motion penalty- that usually goes to the QB - Why?

Some false starts also are on the QB- when his cadence isnt consistent - What? You have to use a varying cadence. Otherwise the defense will get just as used to it as the offense. It's up to the other players to know the count. Not that we use an audible count very often anyway.

Several of those things could be the QBs fault or he could help prevent but they are just as easily someone else's fault and out of the QBs control.