Sweep Read, Power Read, Jet Read

jmfb

They scaled back the zone read when Taylor started trying to do too much. He wouldn't trust his "read" and would keep the ball and it ended up pretty poorly. This is the "trust in his teammates" stuff they used to talk about a lot and realizing that he isn't our only weapon. He'd force himself to win the game, and not trust others.

I havent studied it in depth

Part of it could be formation tells

These guys watch 100s of hours of film, they will pick up any tells

The sweep"read" where Amani got his Safety- we were in trips to that side and Carter was in real tight- to seal off that LB if I saw it right

It depends on how we block it- to give another tell. For example if the QB is keeping backside, off tackle- they might cross block it

If NU is running the keep wide- gain Sweep Read or Power Read- not reading the backside DE, they may even block that DE with a Slot or WR- I think I saw that once this past weekend

I think the question being asked by knapp and others is even if these are designed handoffs, why does the defense know that? They shouldn't.

Watching Oregon's video, on a sweep read, it's obvious that the play is designed more for the runningback than the quarterback, even if it is a 'read'. Yet there is a still a defender being read, or at least appearing to be read, which is keeping him honest in accounting for the quarterback. What are we doing differently that tips off our opponent that they don't have to account for Taylor or Tommy, and can add an extra defender after the runningback?

Even if we call designed handoffs, the defense shouldn't know that.

I 'believe' most teams use a spy on Taylor when they read the correct keys. That allows them to sell out on the RB, because Taylor isn't really known for juking a defender or anything... just straight burst. Still doesn't explain how they know a read is pre-determined, but I think most defenses make sure that our coaches are aware he better be handing it off.

Very frew defenses run "spys"

SDSU did a couple of years ago vs TM and it worked really well

That wouldnt account for the fact that there are a number of zone read type plays where TM has had to read the DE- been wide open and he gave

Again, combination of poor reads and predetermined maximized plays IMO

Too many runs head into traffic for me to believe there are a large amount of actual reads. The more logical answer is they're predetermined and they're being tipped off somehow.

Agreed. Also, remember T-Mart is not a natural QB. His downfield threat with his arm is better than it has been but still not leathal. While he may be a runner, he certainly is not a ball carrier. Huuuuuuuge difference. TA on the otherhand seems to throw a better ball and is a ball carrier. Even though Taylor is clearly a faster runner, TA is better suited for the offense we are running. I actually think Taylor's speed gets him in trouble sometimes as he gets himself in positions where he shouldnt be.

That wouldnt account for the fact that there are a number of zone read type plays where TM has had to read the DE- been wide open and he gave

Wisconsin used Chris Borland as a spy on Taylor.

Wisconsin used Chris Borland as a spy on Taylor.

I believe it was UCLA this year I clearly saw a spy on Taylor. It was a designed sweep in the gun, but the OLB just watched Taylor and stayed backside with him the entire play.

Never really thought about it but that is a good reason why you would have different reads for essentially the same play like the video showed. They want to keep a LB on the QB, then make him the read man and hand it off taking a defender away from the play.

Too many runs head into traffic for me to believe there are a large amount of actual reads. The more logical answer is they're predetermined and they're being tipped off somehow.
So is TM one of the absolute WORST readers out there or are some of those "reads" predetermined and optimized for the ball carrier It's a combination of the 2, no QB can be that awful on some of those obvious keeps or gives Ive watched a few away games at my home- and DVRd them- it is the case Im too busy working on projects and helping others to break down every NU film Much easier ways of getting that info- AND when you are watching the game- pretty much every play is shown again on the big screen Film work is so monotonous

Film work or breaking down film as a coach makes me want to kill myself.

Film work or breaking down film as a coach makes me want to kill myself.

Spoken by someone that has actually done a lot of it and is probably knows his Hudl password in his sleep

Yep, yeach film fatigue

Yeah in my free time, Im going to break down NU film just for fun, yeah right and stab myself in my big toe for fun also

Im going to leave it to freestyling and looking at the video replays, maybe a few second looks at away games DVRd

Edited by zoogies
trim quote

Well a VERY FAMOUS HS coach who I wont name always filmed the game with 2 cameras. Would blow people away if publicly disclosed.

1 fim shot by some 8th grade girl and 1 by a pro'

The 8th grade girls film goes to the other coach, the good one stays with them

At least with Hudl exchange you no longer have to meet them face to facr to exchange- drive 100 miles etc

Well a VERY FAMOUS HS coach who I wont name always filmed the game with 2 cameras. Would blow people away if publicly disclosed.

1 fim shot by some 8th grade girl and 1 by a pro'

The 8th grade girls film goes to the other coach, the good one stays with them

Ha!!! Classic!

I still remember a HC that I worked for who did not want to drive 4 hours to trade tape

Opposing coach "Well, we are really big but we are slow"

My HC: "Well, then you will be chasing us"

That was our "film" for that game...final score...Us 49...them 7. Their coach was right...they were big and SLOW