Sweep Read, Power Read, Jet Read

jmfb

There's something in our blocking scheme or alignment that tips people off when it's a designed give to the RB, though, because many, many times Taylor has given the ball and nobody, at any time, has been heading for him.

Again- was it a bad read OR was it predetermined

I have it from a beyond great source at least back in 2011 his reads were right about 1/2 the time

Hard to tell unless you watch the film and Im not a big film watcher

I am and that's why I'm skeptical.

That film above really puts to rest all of the crap you hear about not being able to run power football from the shotgun. You absolutely can. I think when people watch the above they realize what Bo is talking about when he says "multiple."

As I mentioned above and in the other thread, we play with two high safties a lot to guard against teams' vertical threats. Our running game is helped out so much by our WRs being big time threats because the other teams have to keep their safties somewhat deep and cant get numbers in the box when we go 10 or 11. That allows us to "impose our will" on teams' defenses.

There's something in our blocking scheme or alignment that tips people off when it's a designed give to the RB, though, because many, many times Taylor has given the ball and nobody, at any time, has been heading for him.

Again- was it a bad read OR was it predetermined

I have it from a beyond great source at least back in 2011 his reads were right about 1/2 the time

Hard to tell unless you watch the film and Im not a big film watcher

I am and that's why I'm skeptical.

Watch the film and tell me where Im wrong. Im not

I dont have to watch a ton of film, Im at the games and can watch the replays on the big screen, know what to look for

Go to one of the Nebraska coaching clinics and hear what Beck has to say in person, NU Spring or Summer clinic or one of the Glazier clinics

Amazing what those guys will talk about to a crowd of coaches

I used to go to a few practices, havent had time or inclination this year- or even know if I could get in

My source- coached with me- anything else I give up who he is, 100% legit

But he hasnt coached with me since 2011 so I lost the source

That film above really puts to rest all of the crap you hear about not being able to run power football from the shotgun. You absolutely can. I think when people watch the above they realize what Bo is talking about when he says "multiple."

As I mentioned above and in the other thread, we play with two high safties a lot to guard against teams' vertical threats. Our running game is helped out so much by our WRs being big time threats because the other teams have to keep their safties somewhat deep and cant get numbers in the box when we go 10 or 11. That allows us to "impose our will" on teams' defenses.

Yep

Those who think Oregon isnt physical, maybe cause they have had a few small backs and are really fast, just dont undertand the game

Their base run is just a typical Zone run with a lot of "window dressing"

Youve got a good grasp of this

Too many runs head into traffic for me to believe there are a large amount of actual reads. The more logical answer is they're predetermined and they're being tipped off somehow.

I think its a product of teams doing their homework on us and knowing when they see certain cues that it is a designed give or keep.

However, it has worked quite well the past few years. We were 8th in the nation last year in rushing for a reason.

Not directed at you Knapp, but in general, this board forgets that they other team is trying as well.

Too many runs head into traffic for me to believe there are a large amount of actual reads. The more logical answer is they're predetermined and they're being tipped off somehow.

So is TM one of the absolute WORST readers out there or are some of those "reads" predetermined and optimized for the ball carrier

It's a combination of the 2, no QB can be that awful on some of those obvious keeps or gives

Ive watched a few away games at my home- and DVRd them- it is the case

Im too busy working on projects and helping others to break down every NU film

Much easier ways of getting that info- AND when you are watching the game- pretty much every play is shown again on the big screen

Film work is so monotonous

no QB can be that awful on some of those obvious keeps

This is exactly what I thought when I was at the UCLA game. Way too many times did I see lanes where theTaylor from KState in '10 would have ran until he hit North Platte. But he gave it to the RB.

EZE

Its a combination of poor reads and predesignated plays- some of the keeps& gives have been poor decisions too

Get your film out and watch the difference in the formations and blocking, then decide

Moreso on the Sweep and Power Reads than Zone Read though- predetermined

I think that's why they incorporated some of those hitch and short pass plays/fakes off of that Zone Read action, since they know TM wasnt going to run, another way to keep defenders away from the play and hesitating instead of going straight to the give.

For all I know- Im not inside, they may be doing more predetermined plays to cut down on turnovers- that I have no idea on.

This is exactly what I thought when I was at the UCLA game. Way too many times did I see lanes where theTaylor from KState in '10 would have ran until he hit North Platte. But he gave it to the RB.

Why would he be running to the sidelines?

• Fire 1

Why would he be running to the sidelines?

As soon as I typed it I knew someone would make a comment like that :)

+1 to you sir.

Not sure why people would be sceptical of predetermined option style plays

Read TOs book or talk to anyone that played for TO

He never ran the triple option- every option was a double option AND they also had plays maximized blocking wise for 1 player.

This isnt odd stuff in any way or "wrong" or out of the box goofy stuff

Not sure why people would be sceptical of predetermined option style plays

Read TOs book or talk to anyone that played for TO

He never ran the triple option- every option was a double option AND they also had plays maximized blocking wise for 1 player.

This isnt odd stuff in any way or "wrong" or out of the box goofy stuff

You are right, however you are talking real talk on a very "wrong" and out of the box goofy message board. :):thumbs

I think the question being asked by knapp and others is even if these are designed handoffs, why does the defense know that? They shouldn't.

Watching Oregon's video, on a sweep read, it's obvious that the play is designed more for the runningback than the quarterback, even if it is a 'read'. Yet there is a still a defender being read, or at least appearing to be read, which is keeping him honest in accounting for the quarterback. What are we doing differently that tips off our opponent that they don't have to account for Taylor or Tommy, and can add an extra defender after the runningback?

Even if we call designed handoffs, the defense shouldn't know that.

• Fire 1