A collection of rather horrifying post-game tweets

knapplc

knapp, I think it's just that the quarterback is always the focal point of discussion, being football's glamor position, and also that nobody disagrees about the defense. We all think it was a bad show. I can't think of the last time someone pointed to a defensive problem and everyone jumped in saying, "There are worse things going on."

OK, just as I type this there comes a post saying the defense did better than the offense :D Well, I don't know about that, but anyway, I can't think of a time at least where someone mentioned Thad Randle and anybody disagreed.

I completely agree, almost all of us recognize and acknowledge how bad the D is. I don't know ANYONE who says the D is one of our strong suits or is even AVERAGE.

No, but the Defense isn't the rambling, incompetent, wholesale wreck it's being made out to be, either. Replace Thad Randle with a marginally competent backup DL, and run defense gets better in a hurry. And that's not a knock on Thad--it's a knock on his knees and the bad injury juju he's had at DoNU.

It's kinda funny/sad that our talking points really boil down to two senior players who are banged up, going out there, have all of the heart in the world...but should be riding pine for both the good of the team and their own personal longevity.

What I don't get about the defense is why it was so much better with Clownahan recruits than with what we have now? I realize we have no Suh now, but our LB's have got to be better than what Clownahan left us. Baptiste can hang with about anyone we had in the secondary back then. Suh was a once in a generation type player, but I've got to think we are as good athletically now as we were in 09'. I just don't get why we're getting manhandled up front by teams that are less than imposing.

Have to give the Blackshirts credit. With plenty of time left, down 27 - 20, they got 2 really important stops in a row. Given 2 opportunities, our Reincarnation-of-1983-Offense could only muster a field goal when the game was on the line against one of the worst defenses in the conference and nation.

Gophers defense is not that bad, in fact considering how much they've been on the field all year they've been pretty good.

You guys lost because you only ran the ball like 30 times. We can NOT stop the run, its been proven over and over. Just bad game planning by the NU staff. How does Abdullah only get 19 carries? We had no answer for him.

• Fire 1

Based on a couple of those tweets about Martinez, he definitely should be sitting and getting healthy rather than being thrown into the game like he has. Good grief coaches.

He shouldn't play ever again. Thanks for everything, Taylor. You gave your body and your heart to this team for 3.5 years and we really, really appreciate it, but here's a clipboard and a play sheet, and you'll be standing here next to Ronnie Kellogg signalling in plays for the rest of the year.

He's just not going to get healthy. If he has a fracture he's not going to heal fast enough to be a meaningful part of this offense through November. If he has some kind of ligament damage then he's still not going to heal fast enough. He clearly wasn't 100% today, and with either a fracture or ligament damage he's not going to get healthy enough, fast enough.

The only smart thing to do at this point is give Taylor his gold watch for his years of service and put him to pasture, give Tommy the ball and roll with the punches of starting another Redshirt Freshman. With this defense we're not winning a Big Ten title anyway, so get your future QB some reps and get him his game experience now.

I agree with this 100% Taylor is not ever going to be 100% this year again, and when he is not 100%...well he's far less than average. I say this as a huge Martinez supporter too. It's not a knock on the guy. Some people play better injured than others... It's time to start Armstrong from here on out, and put in Kellogg when he struggles. I think the team seems to play better as a whole with Armstrong/Kellogg out there. The team knows they all have to step things up with their starter out. It creates some sense of urgency. An urgency that was not at all present on Saturday.

If, as a fan, you do not realize that this team is mentally done, checked out, cashed it in etc......You (me) are crazy. Coaches playing a kid, who admits he is basically broken down. You have a healthy TA and RKIII who are more than serviceable. A captain, picked by Bo, who admits he was mentally out of it. WTH!!!!!!!

This entire team needs a meeting with a sport psychologist. We have some serious issues.

Those tweets from the team and staff make me feel worse than the loss. Damn.

Amzing that Joseph mentioned the Wisky game. Same thing we have said all season. Again, crappy coaching at best. Best of luck Bo.

Why hasn't the NU staff studied the the Wisconsin championship game film a ton!!!!!!!!!!

+1 As Bo always says...no doubt.

Here's hoping we bench the unhealthy Taylor and move forward with the quarterback position. If nothing else, it might finally turn the focus from Martinez to the defense, which is the real problem.

Quick count, not counting the tweets in the OP, Taylor is mentioned 36 times in this thread. The defense is mentioned 8 times. As much as we talk about the coaches having the wrong focus....

Knapp, I specifically remember all off season reading about how horribly young and inexperienced this defense would be. That the defense was going to be once again a weakness on this team. Lo and behold never fear, remember the scoring explosion of 83' whelp, here it is Nebraska fans, scoring explosion 2! Taylor and the gang, this group of weapons would be. Unstoppable, indestructible. The defense could allow 30 points a game, it won't matter because we will be averaging 50!

Expectations can sometimes be a bad thing. In this case, we are getting exactly what we expected with this defense aren't we? They suck. It sucks. I'm tired of it, especially when our Guru is n his sixth year. I won't debate that. But are we getting what we expected from our offense? No. Taylor's injury isn't his fault. It also isn't his fault that these coaches can't evaluate his status enough to know when he is still hurting or not. Boneheaded. Still, the first time this season where I remember seeing our offense take the field, march right down and score then do it again with ease, was when TA was at Qb. It just looks like TA has it. I like everything about the kids abilities. Now it appears Taylor's injury is clearly enough of a reason to let this kid go out there and earn his stripes. Good or bad what choices do we really have? Who knows, it might go better than expected.