The Mark Richt Campaign

EZ-E, I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you think it's fair to consider that UGA this year has played basically all their games aside from the opener without their:

- top 2 running backs

- starting safety

- starting corner

- top 3 WRs

Think how we would be if we lost Ameer, Cross, Kenny Bell, Quincy, Jamal Turner, Ciante Evans, and Corey Cooper. Literally, consider it for one second.

Then, they have 12 FRESHMAN in their 2-deep on defense. Not because of roster mismanagement or playing a bunch of unathletic seniors while they redshirt the freshman, because they had 7 defensive players drafted last year!!

They have played 7 games and 4 have been against ranked teams including 3 in the top 10. They have 2 top 10 wins this season despite the youth and injuries. Anyone can look at their record and say they are underachieving, but take a look at the whole picture before making any judgments - if you still feel that way, fine. But don't act like what he is accomplishing is anywhere close to watch we are accomplishing.

These "excuses" don't apply to our current staff and they won't apply to a hypothetical new staff.

No wiggle room. You get hired here, you win fhe conference in year two or we've taken a step back. End of discussion.

but we gladly give Pelini 5 years and we are still at square one?........with his recruits?

If you can't admit we came a long ways in a short amount of time under Bo you really aren't being objective. In two years we were playing in a conference championship game that they stole from us against a team that had every opportunity to win a National Title. That was progress. If this hypothetical new staff doesn't do better than that in year two it's a step back.

yep, we had Suh, who made up half the defense.....so we were down, then up, now back down...where is the process that ensures we make steady progress, as Bo gets his own recruits?

Bottom line:

If there is a change made, the new staff better win the conference in year two and a BCS bowl. That expectation needs to be set. If this doesn't happen, there was no reason to fire anyone.

The new staff would also have to win a minimum of 75% of its games through 5 seasons or any type of change was moronic.

The new staff also better have top ten recruiting classes rated by every service across the board. This isn't my expectation moreso what the board feels.

You also better NEVER ONE TIME lose to an unranked team.

The above are the expectations that should be set if a change is made. Be better than the last staff. If the above isn't met, you must need to recycle at the end of the 5-6 year period.

You are blind to the notion that people don't care about the wins and losses. Do you genuinely think the team has progressed since the B12 ship? It's not the losses, it's how we lose. The game against UCLA and Minnesota this year have been two of the most defeated looking team I've ever seen us field. Even in the Clownahan era. Minnesota could have had 21 more points is their WR's could catch. UCLA put up 38 points unanswered against us after being down 18. That does NOT happen to a team with a drive to win as no one play in the second half should be able to dictate a teams mood or motivation. Bo has done amazing things for our program and I am thankful for that, but to be so naive to the fact that games like these are the norm moreso than an anomaly. I am mortified that Bo and Beck would play Martinez injured like he says he is. No matter if Taylor wanted to play or not. Randle should have been subbed by half at least for VV and Santos looks like he's not even trying anymore.

The issues that are these guys lacking the execution and fundamental football like Bo says, (throwing his players under the bus again) is on him. You can only say we didn't execute so many times before it's on you to make them execute whether it be schematic changes, new coordinators to teach the fundamentals or playing guys by skill not by preference. If you can't see that his stubbornness will be his downfall then you my friend, are just as naive as him.

Bottom line:

If there is a change made, the new staff better win the conference in year two and a BCS bowl. That expectation needs to be set. If this doesn't happen, there was no reason to fire anyone.

The new staff would also have to win a minimum of 75% of its games through 5 seasons or any type of change was moronic.

The new staff also better have top ten recruiting classes rated by every service across the board. This isn't my expectation moreso what the board feels.

The above are the expectations that should be set if a change is made. Be better than the last staff. If the above isn't met, you must need to recycle at the end of the 5-6 year period.

None of this explains why we should keep a sixth-year coach we're paying a top 15 in the country salary to having a team lose to Minnesota and look bad doing it - look disinterested and unable to put up a fight while doing it.

Bo does not have to be here simply because he is here now. He has to be here because he's doing what he needs to do to keep his job. And he's not.

None of this was at all an attempt to explain any reason to keep someone. It was more to explain the expectations of this fanbase for a hypothetical new Coaching Staff. You fire someone to hire someone better. If these "better candidates" that people are throwing out don't meet these expectations it was all for nothing and we may as well restart again in 5-6 years.

EZ-E, I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you think it's fair to consider that UGA this year has played basically all their games aside from the opener without their:

- top 2 running backs

- starting safety

- starting corner

- top 3 WRs

Think how we would be if we lost Ameer, Cross, Kenny Bell, Quincy, Jamal Turner, Ciante Evans, and Corey Cooper. Literally, consider it for one second.

Then, they have 12 FRESHMAN in their 2-deep on defense. Not because of roster mismanagement or playing a bunch of unathletic seniors while they redshirt the freshman, because they had 7 defensive players drafted last year!!

They have played 7 games and 4 have been against ranked teams including 3 in the top 10. They have 2 top 10 wins this season despite the youth and injuries. Anyone can look at their record and say they are underachieving, but take a look at the whole picture before making any judgments - if you still feel that way, fine. But don't act like what he is accomplishing is anywhere close to watch we are accomplishing.

These "excuses" don't apply to our current staff and they won't apply to a hypothetical new staff.

No wiggle room. You get hired here, you win fhe conference in year two or we've taken a step back. End of discussion.

but we gladly give Pelini 5 years and we are still at square one?........with his recruits?

If you can't admit we came a long ways in a short amount of time under Bo you really aren't being objective. In two years we were playing in a conference championship game that they stole from us against a team that had every opportunity to win a National Title. That was progress. If this hypothetical new staff doesn't do better than that in year two it's a step back.

yep, we had Suh, who made up half the defense.....so we were down, then up, now back down...where is the process that ensures we make steady progress, as Bo gets his own recruits?

Bottom line:

That's such a crock of sh#t. Your going to hold a new coaching staff to a standard that you don't even hold your golden boy Bo Pelini to? Ha gimme a break.

Nope. I am going to hold them to a standard to be better than what we have now. If they can't do what I outlined, there is zero reason to keep them.

- top 2 running backs

- starting safety

- starting corner

- top 3 WRs

Bottom line:

That's such a crock of sh#t. Your going to hold a new coaching staff to a standard that you don't even hold your golden boy Bo Pelini to? Ha gimme a break.

Does he honestly think that Nebraska would have been mad if we'd lost a heartbreaker to UCLA by a late FG miss or something like that? or if we'd lost to Wisconsin last year the same way? No it's HOW we lose. We got beat by MINNESOTA by double digits on National television. And the game could have been worse. I don't know how you can defend that. Whatever is in your Bo-laid, I want it.

- top 2 running backs

- starting safety

- starting corner

- top 3 WRs

Bottom line:

Nope. I am going to hold them to a standard to be better than what we have now. If they can't do what I outlined, there is zero reason to keep them.

Guess what? the next coach could go 9-4 and lose all 4 in close fashion and fans would be lightyears happier. Expectations met. Compete, that's all we want.

- top 2 running backs

- starting safety

- starting corner

- top 3 WRs

Bottom line:

You are blind to the notion that people don't care about the wins and losses. Do you genuinely think the team has progressed since the B12 ship? It's not the losses, it's how we lose. The game against UCLA and Minnesota this year have been two of the most defeated looking team I've ever seen us field. Even in the Clownahan era. Minnesota could have had 21 more points is their WR's could catch. UCLA put up 38 points unanswered against us after being down 18. That does NOT happen to a team with a drive to win as no one play in the second half should be able to dictate a teams mood or motivation. Bo has done amazing things for our program and I am thankful for that, but to be so naive to the fact that games like these are the norm moreso than an anomaly. I am mortified that Bo and Beck would play Martinez injured like he says he is. No matter if Taylor wanted to play or not. Randle should have been subbed by half at least for VV and Santos looks like he's not even trying anymore.

The issues that are these guys lacking the execution and fundamental football like Bo says, (throwing his players under the bus again) is on him. You can only say we didn't execute so many times before it's on you to make them execute whether it be schematic changes, new coordinators to teach the fundamentals or playing guys by skill not by preference. If you can't see that his stubbornness will be his downfall then you my friend, are just as naive as him.

I have always said that to take the next step, the plays in games that win or lose you said games are the ones we have to make. For example, in 2010 when Taylor threw the pick in the endzone, Ameers fumble in the two bowl games, etc. I could go on and on about that. I don't think that we have a team or even a group of guys that are mentally strong enough to make big time plays in big time games. Really don't believe we do. A lot of mental midgets as my HS baseball coach would say.

You must have been nowhere near NU football during the Callahan years. I actually watched players appear to play to lose during that era. There is nothing comparable to that '07 season. Nothing.

If you go back and look at my status updates you will find that I specifically said in the 2nd quarter yesterday that Bo's loyalty to Thad Randle will cost us this game if he isn't subbed. Ill leave it to you to find.

I have blind loyalty to nobody. If you would have been in my living room while I watched the game you would have figured that out. What I am doing is outlining what I believe should be the expectations for a new football coach if a change is made. If a new staff came in here and played for three conference championships in 5 seasons and lost all three do you keep them???? You are wanting to fire Bo. What are the expectations for a new staff?

- top 2 running backs

- starting safety

- starting corner

- top 3 WRs

Bottom line:

Guess what? the next coach could go 9-4 and lose all 4 in close fashion and fans would be lightyears happier. Expectations met. Compete, that's all we want.

This is just simply not the case and you must be new around here to honestly think that.

- top 2 running backs

- starting safety

- starting corner

- top 3 WRs

Bottom line:

Does he honestly think that Nebraska would have been mad if we'd lost a heartbreaker to UCLA by a late FG miss or something like that? or if we'd lost to Wisconsin last year the same way? No it's HOW we lose. We got beat by MINNESOTA by double digits on National television. And the game could have been worse. I don't know how you can defend that. Whatever is in your Bo-laid, I want it.

Didnt realize that you were into moral victories. That is the vibe I am getting. You may have to clarify.

I hope the next hypothetical coach reaches theses expectations too EZBP. But they would deserve just as much time as Bo to get the results. If not, why?

Like Army is saying, just looking competitive would be great. I can handle losing, I've played multiple sports so I understand losing is part of it. It's the heartless, passionless, downright lay down and die stuff that gets me. When a team that supposedly loves this coach is quoted repeatedly that their "head wasn't in it" or they just " weren't focused", well that leads you to believe this coach maybe doesn't quite have the devotion they keep saying they have. That and then the mindless explanations we get afterwards. The fact that a talented freshmen sat on the sideline as we played a guy we swore wouldn't play til he was ready. Turns out the guy is still in pain. Was there even a thought of pulling him for a bit? He talks to the fans and media like they are a bunch of idiots. He looks like a buffoon on the sideline. Oh and he's got a real nice f#*k you fans tape out there. Yea, he really represents Nebraska proudly.

Oh yea, and good ole Nebraska run game that we all love so much. Well it's working so well that apparently we better stop using it. Ron Brown has to be livid that we have 3 backs on this team that could start anywhere and instead we ask our QB with a bum foot and shoulder to be the answer....pffft........what a joke.

- top 2 running backs

- starting safety

- starting corner

- top 3 WRs

Bottom line:

Didnt realize that you were into moral victories. That is the vibe I am getting. You may have to clarify.

I'm not into moral victories but there are palpable victories, and ones that you can't stomach because it's a sh#tstorm that shouldn't occur. OSU when Braxton was at full health, Wisconsin CCG and when Russell was there, Minnesota, UCLA the second time, and the Washington rematch all come to mind. The loss to Texas I would never be mad at Bo or the team for even if there were 5 seconds left and we lost fairly. Can you say you feel the same about the losses of Minnesota and the Texas game?

- top 2 running backs

- starting safety

- starting corner

- top 3 WRs

Bottom line:

I'm not into moral victories but there are palpable victories, and ones that you can't stomach because it's a sh#tstorm that shouldn't occur. OSU when Braxton was at full health, Wisconsin CCG and when Russell was there, Minnesota, UCLA the second time, and the Washington rematch all come to mind. The loss to Texas I would never be mad at Bo or the team for even if there were 5 seconds left and we lost fairly. Can you say you feel the same about the losses of Minnesota and the Texas game?

Reread this entire thread and I really don't understand how this became a discussion where people think I am defending anyone. I have not uttered any word. Maybe it morphed when I outlined what a new coaching staff would have to do to meet this fanbase's expectations? I have not defended anyone.

Back to what I was saying, the expectatioins are outlined above. If a change is made, this is what that staff should be held to as you fire someone and hire someone else to be better than the former employee. There are no moral victories here at NU so "close competitive losses" will get you no wiggle room.

Reread this entire thread and I really don't understand how this became a discussion where people think I am defending anyone. I have not uttered any word. Maybe it morphed when I outlined what a new coaching staff would have to do to meet this fanbase's expectations? I have not defended anyone.

Back to what I was saying, the expectatioins are outlined above. If a change is made, this is what that staff should be held to as you fire someone and hire someone else to be better than the former employee. There are no moral victories here at NU so "close competitive losses" will get you no wiggle room.

You're being an ass and trying to stir sh#t up. You think you know the fanbase and that we couldn't handle a close competitive loss. You're wrong as so many people here have proven to you. You want to argue here yet you have no opinion of your own other than IF there's a new guy you want him BCSing in his first year.

You're being an ass and trying to stir sh#t up. You think you know the fanbase and that we couldn't handle a close competitive loss. You're wrong as so many people here have proven to you. You want to argue here yet you have no opinion of your own other than IF there's a new guy you want him BCSing in his first year.

Not really the case. Simmer down son. I am simply stating that if you fire someone, you hire someone better. If that person that you hire can't live up to those expectations then firing that person was all for nothing. So think about the set of expectations before you throw out names like Mark Richt and Scott Frost. Neither of those guys would live up to those expectations. Not being "an ass," flat out being realistic. Sorry to rain on your "Fire Somebody" lynch mob, but the real fact of the matter is that we would be advertising on craigslist for our head coaching job. Frost would be the only one that I think would honestly take it IMO. And he would be in way over his head.

As much as people want to believe it is, the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. You had literally one thing right here, I don't really have an opinion other than "Mark Richt is no better than what we have now."

Hi "Big Red Machine,"

I hear you talking about our coach from my alma mater, University of Georgia - coach Mark Richt. We love him over here in Georgia, but there are always fans that create this "lunatic fringe" who don't really understand how blessed we are as a team to have Richt. They can't see the forest for the trees out in front of them.

They can't remember all the tough times from the past, the dark times - the 1990s, and the mediocrity of the 1980s post 1983. Yes, Georgia is a nice state to recruit from, but that alone hasn't and never really has created a pure tradition for football excellence in our state.

Georgia is not an "Alabama." We've never had that type of tradition built up for us as a program. Richt has taken us further than any other coach during the span of years we've had him. The wonderful seasons he's provided: 2002 (13-1, SEC title), 2003 (11-3), 2004 (10-2), 2005 (10-3, QB D.J. Shockley's SEC title season), 2006 (9-4), 2007 (11-2), 2008 (10-3), 2009 (8-5), 2010 (6-7), 2011 (10-4), 2012 (12-2), and the present at 4-3 with a glimmer of hope to reach the Georgia Dome -- if Mizzou drops two more games this regular season.

I've just been thrilled by Georgia's success under Richt. Compare that with previous head coaches Ray Goff and Jim Donnan, and Richt has been the best thing that could have ever happened to us! He brought us back from the ashes. During the Goff and Donnan years, we hit rock bottom.

And if we lose Richt any time soon, I can see it happening again (the tough, lean seasons; SEC is a brutal conference). We just don't have the name brand as a national football power that the other teams possess. Tennessee -- I know they are really struggling right now -- actually has a better name brand of football program than Georgia as they have more wins in their football history. Georgia's not a Texas, Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, Florida State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and yes--Nebraska. We haven't established ourselves as a true traditional program -- ever. We certainly couldn't compare our football team to a Duke or UNC basketball program. We just aren't.

Coach Richt has done an incredible job here in Athens, Ga. He's a strong Christian too (very similar to my all time favorite coach Dr. Tom Osborne), which I admire that about him as a person very much. He's an amazing leader of young men as he's done here at UGA. We just might make the SEC title game this year if we can win out along with having Missouri drop two more SEC games. We've had a ton of injuries at running back and at wide receiver.

Again, as I've told you Husker fans before on the HuskerBoard.com, Nebraska is and has always been my 2nd favorite team going back to 8th grade in 1981. I even have a nice sweatshirt of the 1994 National Championship #1 "Finished Business" stashed away in my closet. I wear it to let Alabama fans know that they aren't the only program that knows how to win national championships. I remind them when I see them that Nebraska won three in the '90s and two in the '70s. I let this one particular older lady that was donned in the Crimson Tide know this at a Subway just two days ago. She didn't want to hear it.

Anyway....Go Huskers and Dogs! I hope this will be a great season for both teams!