The Mark Richt Campaign

I see what you are saying and my point is tough for me to find the right words for. I've said it enough, but I think everyone can agree that in a hypothetical coaching search you would be looking for someone who is better than the last guy. Right now our program has struggled to "take the next step." That next step being winning a conference championship and winning 11+ games. I guess my overall point is, our current guy took a team and made a four game improvement in the win column his first year and then won ten games the next. Our program currently is FAR from the shambles that it was in 07. There is actually a solid foundation off the field and we have a good program, but not great. So why fire a guy that runs a good program to hire a guy that won't have more success in a shorter amount of time?? Hard for me to type my thoughts, but I hope you understand what I am saying and where I am coming from when I say that a new coach needs to win a conference championship in his first two years. Do we take a step backwards to go forwards in a situation like the current one???

In regards to your last question, I am having trouble understanding how we KNOW it is going to bea step backwards at all.

Because this is a win now business, and Bo knew that going in.

Pelini won "now".....immediately elevating the program.

So, at this point, he won "then". And marginally at that.

And he hasn't improved. He's regressed. And he's lashing out and burning bridges whilst doing so.

I see what you are saying and my point is tough for me to find the right words for. I've said it enough, but I think everyone can agree that in a hypothetical coaching search you would be looking for someone who is better than the last guy. Right now our program has struggled to "take the next step." That next step being winning a conference championship and winning 11+ games. I guess my overall point is, our current guy took a team and made a four game improvement in the win column his first year and then won ten games the next. Our program currently is FAR from the shambles that it was in 07. There is actually a solid foundation off the field and we have a good program, but not great. So why fire a guy that runs a good program to hire a guy that won't have more success in a shorter amount of time?? Hard for me to type my thoughts, but I hope you understand what I am saying and where I am coming from when I say that a new coach needs to win a conference championship in his first two years. Do we take a step backwards to go forwards in a situation like the current one???

I don't disagree with the notion that if coaching changes are made, the expectation should be for the program to improve immediately. I'm not interested in watching someone come in and overhaul the offense like Callahan did, putting players in a position to fail and leading us to a 5-7 season while they try to get "their players" in place.

However, I disagree with the idea that the only way to measure progress is through wins/championships. I want to see a team that plays hard week in and week out, that doesn't take games off, that plays smart and aggressive and fundamentally sound, that doesn't get out-toughed by inferior programs or blown out on a regular basis. That's not too much to ask for at Nebraska, and you can have all of that without winning a conference championship. I would be pretty happy with that compared to what we have right now, because I think that program would be a lot closer to winning a conference championship than this one is.

Not much to disagree with here. The only thing I'll add is that I think it would be very interesting to sit and watch film with guys and have them explain what they are doing. In sports, sometimes lack of effort is mistaken for confusion. I always give everybody I meet the benefit of the doubt and I would really like to believe that it is confusion over assignment rather than lack of effort.

I saw some real lack of effort last Saturday...

Ok, so may I ask: do you personally feel Bo should be replaced. If so, who do you see as his top 3 candidates. If not, what changes does he need to make for him to get over the hump here at NU? If you say coordinators, who do you feel as a couple possible names that would be candidates?

And he hasn't improved. He's regressed. And he's lashing out and burning bridges whilst doing so.

He's still winning. If you want to call it marginal that's fine. He's been consistent at 9 and 10 wins. If you want to call that regression, that's fine also. I don't really have any comments about the lashing out or burning bridges as it's not something I'm in the know or care about.

I would say hes stalled. Neither going forward or backward.

I would say hes stalled. Neither going forward or backward.

Disagree.

Losing by a questionable call to a national championship competitor, to getting 70 hung on him by a 5 loss team lucky to be there.

Struggling to compete in an inferior conference.

The defensive stats speak for themselves.

But really, to me, that's all secondary to his stunt with Taylor this week.

Ok, so may I ask: do you personally feel Bo should be replaced. If so, who do you see as his top 3 candidates. If not, what changes does he need to make for him to get over the hump here at NU? If you say coordinators, who do you feel as a couple possible names that would be candidates?

I don't like to call for anyone's job. In a knee jerk reaction I have been guilty of it in the past and I have done a lot better which is something I've worked on recently. I always try to remember that these are kids and the coaches are only human and I feel uncomfortable calling for someone to be out of a job.

To be quite honest with you, I haven't even put much thought into it. The only name that really I'd like to see that I personally think we could get would be Kirby Smart and this would be a stepping stone for him.

I truly think if we were to fire Bo that it would be a very humbling experience for us Husker fans. I don't believe people would be knocking down the door to come here to a place with built in disadvantages in modern day recruiting and a very tight leash. I just don't see the appeal for a top level candidate to take this job.

I fear that if we do fire Bo, yesterday will be the least of our worries and darker days are to come.

I could be convinced otherwise, but I just really don't see the appeal of the Husker gig when looking at it from an objective standpoint. What would attract a coach here??

If we fire Bo for the W/L record I feel that will be one to regret. I also worry about the unreasonable expectations in that regard for Husker fans. 9-win seasons aren't that great, but we're talking about 10 wins and CCG appearances. Lack of a BCS bid is something lacking, but it isn't an outrageous omission, either, especially when we've come close.

If we fire Bo more for other reasons I'm OK with it. But the fans have to be reasonable about their expectations. Bo's a successful and highly able coach. Maybe the program needs a new voice and a better manager. Maybe the current feelings on both sides are too noxious to sustain the current staff. But if that's the case it's not about the W's and the L's.

I guess all things considered, even if Bo is losing the fans with no hope for return, I'd prefer if a decision isn't made until it's totally obvious. Better to be too late than too early; less pressure on the next guy.

If we fire Bo for the W/L record I feel that will be one to regret. I also worry about the unreasonable expectations in that regard for Husker fans. 9-win seasons aren't that great, but we're talking about 10 wins and CCG appearances. Lack of a BCS bid is something lacking, but it isn't an outrageous omission, either, especially when we've come close.

If we fire Bo more for other reasons I'm OK with it. But the fans have to be reasonable about their expectations. Bo's a successful and highly able coach. Maybe the program needs a new voice and a better manager. Maybe the current feelings on both sides are too noxious to sustain the current staff. But if that's the case it's not about the W's and the L's.

I guess all things considered, even if Bo is losing the fans with no hope for return, I'd prefer if a decision isn't made until it's totally obvious. Better to be too late than too early; less pressure on the next guy.

He won't be canned for his record. His management is substandard, and his attitude is worse.

• Fire 2

I don't like to call for anyone's job. In a knee jerk reaction I have been guilty of it in the past and I have done a lot better which is something I've worked on recently. I always try to remember that these are kids and the coaches are only human and I feel uncomfortable calling for someone to be out of a job.

To be quite honest with you, I haven't even put much thought into it. The only name that really I'd like to see that I personally think we could get would be Kirby Smart and this would be a stepping stone for him.

I truly think if we were to fire Bo that it would be a very humbling experience for us Husker fans. I don't believe people would be knocking down the door to come here to a place with built in disadvantages in modern day recruiting and a very tight leash. I just don't see the appeal for a top level candidate to take this job.

I fear that if we do fire Bo, yesterday will be the least of our worries and darker days are to come.

I could be convinced otherwise, but I just really don't see the appeal of the Husker gig when looking at it from an objective standpoint. What would attract a coach here??

$$$$, that's what. Money talks.

Also, just wanted to point out that the coaches that Texas and USC will be targeting are assuredly not the same coaches that we will be targeting. I could see USC landing Chip Kelly somehow. Texas will go after Saban, and if they're not successful, probably Briles.

This is the perfect time to target guys like Petersen and Richt. Both are having flat seasons and might be looking for a fresh start. I'm not really big on the NFL guys because most of them have goals to return to the NFL at a later point.

The one thing I like about Frost is his youth. If he were to come here, and be successful, he could be here for a very, very long time.

Lastly, I see a lot of people still using the 9/10-win argument, and that's understandable. However I think most people are under the belief that Bo will not attain 9 wins this year. I personally think that he'll have to coach his ass off to get there. If he doesn't make it, that, coupled with everything else, would be reason enough to show him the door.

I am of this train of thought as well. We may think the national perception is on our blowouts. But if we fire yet another successful coach, we might see there something to what EZ-E wrote above.

I was told by a good friend who is a season ticket holder for the Ducks that Helfrich took over the game planning and play calling the week of the Washington game. He didn't say why, just that it was what he was told by guys in the know. He also said it is no secret that Frost wants to come home and coach.

Oregon DC Nick Aliotti disagrees. After the Washington game, he said, "Scott is driving that car real fast and it looks real pretty. Scott Frost, I'm tickled for him, a young rising star."

And that is fine...I was just telling people what was told to me. Either way, I could give a sh#t less if Frost becomes our coach or not. He wouldn't be my first choice and he wouldn't be my last. The way I look at it is, the sooner people get over this notion of " WE ARE NEBRASKA " , we can do this and that, the better off it would be. I keep seeing names thrown around on here of coaches we "could" get because of said notion and that is just plain crazy. I understand that money talks and we do have a lot of it but these coaches look at more then just money when it comes to picking a school, kinda like a recruit. My first choice would be Kirby Smart or Bud Foster if we were to go the coordinator way, both have been very successful coordinators for very successful coaches for a long time.