The Mark Richt Campaign

Talked with a very prominent player for the Ducks. Helfrich does override some play calls just because he wants to show a certain look or get a specific player the ball. He also aids in building the game plan.

I also talked to him about Frost. Great coach, charismatic, absolute players coach. Overall the team likes Helf and Frost more than Chip.

Everything I have heard makes me think Frost will be a great head coach someday, but I don't know when that day is. I would be open to interviewing him, not because of his name, but because of who he is...the OC who understands, can teach and install Oregon's offense, while being charismatic and preaching physicality. He is a very solid recruiter ans seems to be more of a "leader/manager" than a strictly offensive or defensive coach.

That said, Petrino and Tressel are the top of my wishlist. And yes I know everyone hates Petrino.

Tressel is very interesting. The thing that bothers me more than his show-cause is the fact that he's 60. That could be 5 years here, if successful, it could be 15.

Hypothetically, what it could do is give Frost more time to season and possibly be the next hire when Tressel would leave.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Tressel gets us back on the map, winning, and instills a culture here. He sticks around for 5-6 years, wins "something", and then when he retires, our HC prospects are a lot more fruitful than they would be right now. It even gives us the possibility of hiring a proven Scott Frost, that way we don't have to experiment with him as first time HC.

Oh man, if that happens.....imagine the first Nebraska/OSU game.

Talked with a very prominent player for the Ducks. Helfrich does override some play calls just because he wants to show a certain look or get a specific player the ball. He also aids in building the game plan.

I also talked to him about Frost. Great coach, charismatic, absolute players coach. Overall the team likes Helf and Frost more than Chip.

Everything I have heard makes me think Frost will be a great head coach someday, but I don't know when that day is. I would be open to interviewing him, not because of his name, but because of who he is...the OC who understands, can teach and install Oregon's offense, while being charismatic and preaching physicality. He is a very solid recruiter ans seems to be more of a "leader/manager" than a strictly offensive or defensive coach.

That said, Petrino and Tressel are the top of my wishlist. And yes I know everyone hates Petrino.

Tressel is very interesting. The thing that bothers me more than his show-cause is the fact that he's 60. That could be 5 years here, if successful, it could be 15.

Hypothetically, what it could do is give Frost more time to season and possibly be the next hire when Tressel would leave.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Tressel gets us back on the map, winning, and instills a culture here. He sticks around for 5-6 years, wins "something", and then when he retires, our HC prospects are a lot more fruitful than they would be right now. It even gives us the possibility of hiring a proven Scott Frost, that way we don't have to experiment with him as first time HC.

Frost will be gone in two years, tops.

I'm not getting the hate in this thread. Richt straight-up beat Bo last year. He was 1 play away from having his team in the National Title game last year. He's coached in, and been successful in, the toughest conference that college football has ever seen. Sure, he has proximity to recruits. You know who else is nearby? Florida, Florida State, Alabama, South Carolina, Clemson, etc; not to mention, pretty much everyone recruits, or tries to recruit, Georgia.

The thing that gets me is that the big argument against Frost is that he's never been a HC. Neither has Kirby Smart. I think both of those guys are going to be fantastic head coaches, but the main argument I've heard against both is that "we don't want another guy learning on the job". Now, we're willing to hypothetically throw away a SUCCESSFUL SEC-level coach because his team (which has been destroyed by injuries this year) lost to Vandy and Missouri? I'm just not seeing it, guys. If the dominoes fall this way, and we have a shot at getting Richt, it would be colossally, monumentally idiotic not to pursue him.

absolutely correct!

There were 7 draft picks on that Georgia defense and they gave up how many yards to us???? Richt and Miles are the coaches in the nation that do the least with that much talent.

I wholeheartily agree, but a list like this without Mack Brown on it just isn't complete. I would give Richt about as much chance of success here as Clownahan had. I'd rather put together a list of coaches who do a lot with very little. I've always been a fan of Utah's coach. It took him a while after joining the Pac12, but they're having a nice season. Bronco Mendenhall seems like a guy that gets a lot out of what he has. I highly doubt we get either of them, but going after guys like this makes a lot more sense than going after someone like Richt.

Now to support some dumbass argument I am discounting the talent on this team??? I think that's the last thing I've ever done!!!!!!

I think you're taking it a little too far. Relax a bit, and let's have a rational discussion. Have a scotch and a cigar, if you need to.

Based on his body of work so far as an OC, I would say he would be justified in his thinking.

I agree.

His whole half season.

Point they're making is that he's a hot prospect right now. He wouldn't make a lateral move to OC for Nebraska given his success thus far as Oregon. They aren't saying that makes him qualified to HC Nebraska. It makes far more sense for him to stay at Oregon and be successful there and get a HC job in the future than making a lateral move to a school in trouble. How long he's been there makes no difference to this particular argument. To him being a HC next season? Sure it matters. But to the perception of him as a coaching candidate, it doesn't matter how long he's been there. People consider his future to be bright. He won't make a lateral move. That's all that's been said in these few posts.

Based on his body of work so far as an OC, I would say he would be justified in his thinking.

I agree.

His whole half season.

Point they're making is that he's a hot prospect right now. He wouldn't make a lateral move to OC for Nebraska given his success thus far as Oregon. They aren't saying that makes him qualified to HC Nebraska. It makes far more sense for him to stay at Oregon and be successful there and get a HC job in the future than making a lateral move to a school in trouble. How long he's been there makes no difference to this particular argument. To him being a HC next season? Sure it matters. But to the perception of him as a coaching candidate, it doesn't matter how long he's been there. People consider his future to be bright. He won't make a lateral move. That's all that's been said in these few posts.

We've been around and around in circles with this point.

But where? Not to a destination school. Now let me just say I don't care much for The Vest, but if this plan outlined above plays out over the next, say, 5-7 years, the theory is that a big name coach like The Vest would bring NU back to being competitive.

Let's just be conservative here and say The Vest can keep NU a consistent top 15 school, sometimes in the top ten, maybe getting to the top 5 on occasion, but even after losses staying in the top 15 most, if not all, of the time. That would make the Huskers a national power again. Maybe not a Bama, but a team that you have to prepare for. If The Vest can maintain the program at that level, going to BCS bowls and being a tough opponent week after week, then Nebraska would be an attractive job after those 5-7 years. Why would a guy like Frost, probably coaching MAC or AAC or Sun Belt or some crap like that, not take the job?

I'd like to get a guy now that would stick around a quarter century, but that's just not likely. In the scenario proposed with The Vest, Frost would most definitely be available after the 5-7 years assuming The Vest retires.

But where? Not to a destination school. Now let me just say I don't care much for The Vest, but if this plan outlined above plays out, say 5-7 years from now, the theory is that a big name coach like The Vest would bring NU back to being competitive.

Let's just be conservative here and say The Vest can keep NU a consistent top 15 school, sometimes in the top ten, maybe getting to the top 5 on occasion, but even after losses staying in the top 15 most, if not all, of the time. That would make the Huskers a national power again. Maybe not a Bama, but a team that you have to prepare for. If The Vest can maintain the program at that level, going to BCS bowls and being a tough opponent week after week, then Nebraska would be an attractive job after those 5-7 years. Why would a guy like Frost, probably coaching MAC or AAC or Sun Belt or some crap like that, not take the job?

I'd like to get a guy now that would stick around a quarter century, but that's just not likely. In the scenario proposed with The Vest, Frost would most definitely be available after the 5-7 years assuming The Vest retires.

I think if he goes anywhere before 2016 there are some sanctions or something right?

I agree.

His whole half season.

We've been around and around in circles with this point.

Well apparently you missed it. "His whole half season." is not a relevant response given the point they were making. I agree with you frequently in this thread but I do take some issue with you taking unnecessary shots at Frost as if he is at your door begging for the HC job. Nothing personal, I just disagree with that aspect of your posts.

But where? Not to a destination school. Now let me just say I don't care much for The Vest, but if this plan outlined above plays out, say 5-7 years from now, the theory is that a big name coach like The Vest would bring NU back to being competitive.

I agree with part of this scenario, not sure I would agree with the Vest being the experience HC though. The show cause penalty is too much pressure to bring that upon a program, 1 little mistake like with the textbooks a couple of years ago could be devastating. Frost is still in his first year as an OC, I think he would consider an offer to be an OC at NU under a legitimate HC. NU could pay him well and I think the opportunity to be a part of restoring NU to prominence would be a plus for someone as motivated career-wise to move up as Frost clearly is. Regardless of how many yards Frost's Offenses put up at Oregon, he won't be able to have put a stamp on that program. Stamp was already put in place by Chip Kelly. Not saying Frost won't get credit for his work at Oregon, but he could get a lot more by being a big part in brining NU back to prominence.

If Tress became your guys' coach I'd get myself a Husker's jersey.

What about all those posts I've read on OSU boards denouncing "Tressel Ball?" Is that a real thing, and would we want it at Nebraska?

I know OSU had that moniker, but Tressel did show he was willing to play dynamic QBs and open up the style of play. He also showed the ability to adjust to a ball control style with tough D if he needed to. He was more conservative than others IIRC on trick plays, going on 4th, etc., but I don't recall his teams being totally devoid of dynamic offenses. I think he would hire a dynamic OC, perhaps even convince Scott Frost to come as a potential Coach-In-Waiting. My big issue with Tressel is the Show Cause hovering over him until 2016. One little mistake and the program is in deep, deep trouble.