The Mark Richt Campaign

It took us beating us for Richt to beat Bo with a defense full of guys who are playing in the NFL and a QB who had the game of his life. No way can you use the game last year as an argument for Richt.

The argument against Frost is he hasn't even been a Coordinator for more than a season.

I'm not getting the hate in this thread. Richt straight-up beat Bo last year. He was 1 play away from having his team in the National Title game last year. He's coached in, and been successful in, the toughest conference that college football has ever seen. Sure, he has proximity to recruits. You know who else is nearby? Florida, Florida State, Alabama, South Carolina, Clemson, etc; not to mention, pretty much everyone recruits, or tries to recruit, Georgia.

The thing that gets me is that the big argument against Frost is that he's never been a HC. Neither has Kirby Smart. I think both of those guys are going to be fantastic head coaches, but the main argument I've heard against both is that "we don't want another guy learning on the job". Now, we're willing to hypothetically throw away a SUCCESSFUL SEC-level coach because his team (which has been destroyed by injuries this year) lost to Vandy and Missouri? I'm just not seeing it, guys. If the dominoes fall this way, and we have a shot at getting Richt, it would be colossally, monumentally idiotic not to pursue him.

absolutely correct!

• Fire 2

Before everybody starts making thier list of coaches they want, I think it is important to look at your qualifications for him. One thing some people talk about if this person having "Nebraska ties". I don't feel that this is a top qualification that the next coach has to have. I think it is more important that they be able to recruit and coach the players they have then whether or not they went to college here or have family living in Nebraska.

I agree to a point, but it you can get a proven HC that has shown he knows how to get a staff to recruit AND has NE ties and would have a full appreciation of the culture and values, that would be a HOME RUN IMO. I think Richt would be a good option. I get a bit of what EZ is saying, but he is glossing over what Richt has done in his entire time at UGA. What if Richt were to come and hire Frost as his OC? I think I could sign up for that.

So, a new staff has a ton of young talent that has won 9-10 games a year since their time here and it isn't a reasonable expectation to expect a CC in year two? Why? Bo took a team that lost 7 games the year before and won 9 and then 10 and played for a CC. If you fire someone you better get someone better than the guy you fired. That isn't unreasonable is it???

I understand the concept of what you're saying, but if Bo is fired, it's not for what he did in 2008-2010. It's for 2011-2013. Similarly, if a new coach is hired, his progress wouldn't be measured in comparison to where Bo had the program in 2009. It would be measured with where he had the program in 2013.

Then that's completely ass-backwards.

But comparing Pelini's team to Cally in 2007 isn't? Where Bo leave's the team, will be where the next guy starts. His progress will be measured from that point.

Say he wins 9 this year. What's the next guy have to do? Win 11? 12??

11 or 12 would be a nice change since we haven't seen that since Solich.

I like Richt - I think he would be a good fit for NU.. I still go back and forth however, do we roll the dice wt an up and comer like Frost, Smart, or a Div 2 coach or Div 1A.

I think hiring a proven coach who can pull a good support team together of assistance is my 1st choice. Frost and Smart would have to start 'robbing' coaches from other programs to build their staff from scratch. We might end up wt the same situation - inexperience coordinators helping a coach wtout HC experience. Frost and Smart do appear to have great potential as HC, but I don't NU is in the place for another job training experience.

• Fire 1

Before everybody starts making thier list of coaches they want, I think it is important to look at your qualifications for him. One thing some people talk about if this person having "Nebraska ties". I don't feel that this is a top qualification that the next coach has to have. I think it is more important that they be able to recruit and coach the players they have then whether or not they went to college here or have family living in Nebraska.

I agree to a point, but it you can get a proven HC that has shown he knows how to get a staff to recruit AND has NE ties and would have a full appreciation of the culture and values, that would be a HOME RUN IMO. I think Richt would be a good option. I get a bit of what EZ is saying, but he is glossing over what Richt has done in his entire time at UGA. What if Richt were to come and hire Frost as his OC? I think I could sign up for that.

Unless Frost is named Assistant HC, doubtful he would come. Richt is too young for a 'coach in waiting' guy behind him. That guy might be waiting a long time.

I only see Frost coming here if he's offered HC. I think the moment he is offered HC, he'll take it, but I doubt he accepts anything less.

• Fire 1

I only see Frost coming here if he's offered HC. I think the moment he is offered HC, he'll take it, but I doubt he accepts anything less.

Based on his body of work so far as an OC, I would say he would be justified in his thinking.

So, a new staff has a ton of young talent that has won 9-10 games a year since their time here and it isn't a reasonable expectation to expect a CC in year two? Why? Bo took a team that lost 7 games the year before and won 9 and then 10 and played for a CC. If you fire someone you better get someone better than the guy you fired. That isn't unreasonable is it???

I understand the concept of what you're saying, but if Bo is fired, it's not for what he did in 2008-2010. It's for 2011-2013. Similarly, if a new coach is hired, his progress wouldn't be measured in comparison to where Bo had the program in 2009. It would be measured with where he had the program in 2013.

Then that's completely ass-backwards.

But comparing Pelini's team to Cally in 2007 isn't? Where Bo leave's the team, will be where the next guy starts. His progress will be measured from that point.

Say he wins 9 this year. What's the next guy have to do? Win 11? 12??

9 seems to be good enough for everyone around here (at least those that could care less about everything else an only look at the W/L columns - because it's about the only thing the Pelini defenders have left) - why should the next guy not get the same treatment? Go a little deeper, and 9 wins without a blowout? Major improvement over Pelini right there.

That I can agree with completely. But to clarify there are alot of people that would put the "Nebraska tie" as a top check mark on their list. If you have a great prospect that also happens to have that tie, great! But if not that should be ok also. I think the Mark Richt idea is a good one but we have get ride of the baggage we have first.

I don't think Tressel can interview for any coaching job in the NCAA for a little while longer.

Tress can. The University just has to show a reason why they need to hire him over anyone else supposedly....

I have heard Tress is coming back next year so this penalty has no bite. Id love to see the NCAA enforce it after letting the Canes get away.

I'm not getting the hate in this thread. Richt straight-up beat Bo last year. He was 1 play away from having his team in the National Title game last year. He's coached in, and been successful in, the toughest conference that college football has ever seen. Sure, he has proximity to recruits. You know who else is nearby? Florida, Florida State, Alabama, South Carolina, Clemson, etc; not to mention, pretty much everyone recruits, or tries to recruit, Georgia.

The thing that gets me is that the big argument against Frost is that he's never been a HC. Neither has Kirby Smart. I think both of those guys are going to be fantastic head coaches, but the main argument I've heard against both is that "we don't want another guy learning on the job". Now, we're willing to hypothetically throw away a SUCCESSFUL SEC-level coach because his team (which has been destroyed by injuries this year) lost to Vandy and Missouri? I'm just not seeing it, guys. If the dominoes fall this way, and we have a shot at getting Richt, it would be colossally, monumentally idiotic not to pursue him.

absolutely correct!

There were 7 draft picks on that Georgia defense and they gave up how many yards to us???? Richt and Miles are the coaches in the nation that do the least with that much talent.

Based on his body of work so far as an OC, I would say he would be justified in his thinking.

Remember his body of work is pretty small though. Don't get me wrong, I really like Scott Frost but he hasn't even the OC for a complete year yet and people are talking about giving the keys to the kingdom. Pelini had more time as a DC and look how he has done with that?