Tunnel Walk of Shame Speaks Out

Landlord

I don't think the Husker brand is something that needs fixed. The brand is fine, and when it is at its best (aka. spring game Jack Hoffman run, winning the ESPY), it is something that really is amazing. The in-game experience can be spiced up for sure. We definitely need something between third and fourth quarters to get the stadium and the team hyped up to finish the game.

That was one of the coolest things I've seen done in a long time. 100% truth. However, that stuff DOES NOT win game or attract talent. Crazy to think it does.

Minnesota handed out towels to everyone Saturday at the game. The crowd all yelled, "first down" when the announcer said, "that's another Minnesota". At first I thought it was lame, but the more I saw the Minny crowd getting into it, I kind of liked it. They played modern music during the breaks and the people danced and had fun.

After going to Husker games for 40+ years, I have to agree that maybe we as a crowd need to do more. I know when I played ball, regardless what some people say, you do hear the crowd and wanted to play harder for them as well as the team, I've never been a big fan of change, tradition wise, but here are a some changes crowd wise that could help.

I'm willing to do my part.

The Chiefs do this and it's fun. But anyway...who cares. What happened to Bo's "put the N under someone's chin" speeches that motivate players?

Unfortunately a lot of us as Husker fans have neutered the same fiery guy that we long for. It's not very often you meet a motivated, fiery, leader, who will be polite about the way they want things done. Bo has his methods, needed some refining for sure, but he is constantly looking over his shoulder for the next mic or camera to catch him 'giving advice'. Let the guy coach. We want tough players, let Bo be tough!

Minnesota handed out towels to everyone Saturday at the game. The crowd all yelled, "first down" when the announcer said, "that's another Minnesota". At first I thought it was lame, but the more I saw the Minny crowd getting into it, I kind of liked it. They played modern music during the breaks and the people danced and had fun.

After going to Husker games for 40+ years, I have to agree that maybe we as a crowd need to do more. I know when I played ball, regardless what some people say, you do hear the crowd and wanted to play harder for them as well as the team, I've never been a big fan of change, tradition wise, but here are a some changes crowd wise that could help.

I'm willing to do my part.

The Chiefs do this and it's fun. But anyway...who cares. What happened to Bo's "put the N under someone's chin" speeches that motivate players?

That would be called targeting. Gets players ejected.

But seriously, he has lost his passion partly because it was taken away from him after a&m.

• Fire 1

Lots of great points. Specifically to me #2 ties in specifically to the fans. No I don't mean the fanbase is sh#t. That's been said enough here today. I think the experience is a bit out dated and lame in a way. Now if you're a real homer like me, you just love being there and that's enough, but I also see these things this article speaks of. I specifically like a lot of the things Wisconsin does. Or maybe even Texas AnM. Getting the crowd involved in other ways. At Nebraska the most we get involved is by doing the wave. The most cheering is on third downs otherwise it's fairly quiet. The fun of the experience needs amped up.

When the author is describing what schools like Oregon have to offer in the way of a story, compared to Nebraska, it's very important to realize that this message was the vision of the current head coach. Bo wasn't hired and told "recruit with this message". He was told "you're hired, build your program". Because it needed building.

Oh and you know who had major roles in the re-branding and "upgrades" at Ohio St and Oregon, his two examples? The coaches.

I'm all for tweaking our image for the better, but we don't need to invent anything and God Forbid we continue to copy Oregon. It's gotten Oregon zero national titles and it's gotten Nebraska stupid looking jerseys that get made fun of.

Wow. It got Oregon to more national title appearances and BCS games and conference championships than Nebraska in the modern era (BCS Era)

What has your "Tradition" done for you since football became a national sport rather than regional? Nothing. No National Titles, 1 Conference Title, You haven't lost less than 4 games in a season for 10 years. Even in 2003 you lost 3 games. Haven't been a threat on a national level since the 90's.

I am typically hopeful for Nebraska but when they take unwarranted shots at a program that has built itself into what it is right now, which is a national power, I get a little fired up. Put up or shut up, Oregon got a late start on building a national power, so that automatically makes them irrelevant? Good grief, Oregon has been far superior to Nebraska since 2000.

Excuse the harshness, but man that upsets me.

I've spoke my opinions on this numerious times. It all went to hell in College Station 2010. If you look at it factually, our program has not been the same since, when was definitely on the upswing before. Perlman took Bo's balls away after that night. Plain and simple.

Well that still leaves the fact that five weeks prior to A&M, Nebraska came out lifeless and skittish and laid an egg in Memorial Stadium against an unranked and slow-footted Texas team in the most anticipated Husker game in years. On October 16, 2010, Nebraska was ranked #5 and freshman Taylor Martinez was on everyone's Heisman list. Texas took our basket of kittens and drowned them in the river.

A&M was when the teamwide breakdowns started looking oddly familiar. That's been the problem ever since.

When the author is describing what schools like Oregon have to offer in the way of a story, compared to Nebraska, it's very important to realize that this message was the vision of the current head coach. Bo wasn't hired and told "recruit with this message". He was told "you're hired, build your program". Because it needed building.

Oh and you know who had major roles in the re-branding and "upgrades" at Ohio St and Oregon, his two examples? The coaches.

I'm all for tweaking our image for the better, but we don't need to invent anything and God Forbid we continue to copy Oregon. It's gotten Oregon zero national titles and it's gotten Nebraska stupid looking jerseys that get made fun of.

Wow. It got Oregon to more national title appearances and BCS games and conference championships than Nebraska in the modern era (BCS Era)

What has your "Tradition" done for you since football became a national sport rather than regional? Nothing. No National Titles, 1 Conference Title, You haven't lost less than 4 games in a season for 10 years. Even in 2003 you lost 3 games. Haven't been a threat on a national level since the 90's.

I am typically hopeful for Nebraska but when they take unwarranted shots at a program that has built itself into what it is right now, which is a national power, I get a little fired up. Put up or shut up, Oregon got a late start on building a national power, so that automatically makes them irrelevant? Good grief, Oregon has been far superior to Nebraska since 2000.

Excuse the harshness, but man that upsets me.

If you read this thread carefully, Streeter, there's quite a bit of admiration for Oregon's program, Chip Kelly and the style of ball being played there. Looks like fun. Most of us are envious.

The last poster was giving Kelly credit for both the rebuilding and branding. Never came close to calling Oregon irrelevent. Just the opposite, really.

So I think you can absorb a modest jab about your jerseys, Phil Knight's money, and Nebraska's 5 - 0 lead in National Championships, right?

no. no. and no.

It has a couple meek points but thats about it. winning takes care of all those things. "Firing the coach is not the answer. We need to form a new brand. Just look at osu, they hired a new coach and it helped their brand tremendously" What? "our website isnt as good as oregons, and they have cool jerseys." f#*k outta here. "Our gameday experience sucks." Thats absolutely rediculous. Because we dont play jump around? Okay. We are desperate but f#*k all that "lets be like them sh#t". Theres no honor in that in my opinion. Thats why i hate wisconsin, because they tried to "brand" themselves like us. Stfu and get recruits. Stfu and win.

The sound system is absolutely atrocious. Thats step one. I am very very very weary to bring up "hip" changes of any kind when it concerns nebraska. Basically because we are sooooo bad it. There is a serious chance that anything that changes will be much worse. Case in point, in the mid 2000's people were calling for a change to the tunnel walk music because sirius is dated. What do they do? enlist homegrown "super duper producer" mikey bo to concoct some young new hip music. Next thing u know we have some irrelevent, boom boom clap timbaland throw away beat that took five min. Then we think we're so f'ing hip and cool and young. No. Uniforms, dont even get me started on that. We f'ing suck sooo hard at picking anything new uniform wise. (FORGET I EVEN MENTIONED THE UNIFORMS, IF ANYTHING CHANGES ON THE UNI'S I'M GETTING VIOLENT). Anything we would try to do to keep up with the jones' would hurt us double imo. We are very corny at trying to be cool. Winning and kicking ass while not giving a f#*k about being cool is our Fonzie, Morrison, Elvis cool. Its our brand. Just because we arent doing that doesnt mean we should play halloween.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

anybody arguing the points in this article, i can make a case for them being clueless.

Do we need some new sort of DJ in the box playing stadium music during the games? absolutely! But is there anyone in the nebraska offices that can find/hire that person? No, there isn't. And if you get beggy with it, they put on mikey bo music. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR!!

However, I will say..... we've got lots of D bags that like to take it upon themselves and take out their frustrations on players via social media. What a bunch of morons. If these people went missing and were never found I wouldn't be upset.

wrestling-she-mad.gif

• Fire 1

no. no. and no.

It has a couple meek points but thats about it. winning takes care of all those things. "Firing the coach is not the answer. We need to form a new brand. Just look at osu, they hired a new coach and it helped their brand tremendously" What? "our website isnt as good as oregons, and they have cool jerseys." f#*k outta here. "Our gameday experience sucks." Thats absolutely rediculous. Because we dont play jump around? Okay. We are desperate but f#*k all that "lets be like them sh#t". Theres no honor in that in my opinion. Thats why i hate wisconsin, because they tried to "brand" themselves like us. Stfu and get recruits. Stfu and win.

The sound system is absolutely atrocious. Thats step one. I am very very very weary to bring up "hip" changes of any kind when it concerns nebraska. Basically because we are sooooo bad it. There is a serious chance that anything that changes will be much worse. Case in point, in the mid 2000's people were calling for a change to the tunnel walk music because sirius is dated. What do they do? enlist homegrown "super duper producer" mikey bo to concoct some young new hip music. Next thing u know we have some irrelevent, boom boom clap timbaland throw away beat that took five min. Then we think we're so f'ing hip and cool and young. No. Uniforms, dont even get me started on that. We f'ing suck sooo hard at picking anything new uniform wise. (FORGET I EVEN MENTIONED THE UNIFORMS, IF ANYTHING CHANGES ON THE UNI'S I'M GETTING VIOLENT). Anything we would try to do to keep up with the jones' would hurt us double imo. We are very corny at trying to be cool. Winning and kicking ass while not giving a f#*k about being cool is our Fonzie, Morrison, Elvis cool. Its our brand. Just because we arent doing that doesnt mean we should play halloween.

anybody arguing the points in this article, i can make a case for them being clueless.

Do we need some new sort of DJ in the box playing stadium music during the games? absolutely! But is there anyone in the nebraska offices that can find/hire that person? No, there isn't. And if you get beggy with it, they put on mikey bo music. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR!!

However, I will say..... we've got lots of D bags that like to take it upon themselves and take out their frustrations on players via social media. What a bunch of morons. If these people went missing and were never found I wouldn't be upset.

wrestling-she-mad.gif

lol what?

I have good points IMO. Do i not? Let's discuss, gif bomber.

no. no. and no.

wrestling-she-mad.gif

lol what??

Okay. I agree with the article. I disagree with your tirade.

no. no. and no.

wrestling-she-mad.gif

lol what??

what do you disagree with? be specific. don't say "all of it"

let's be real here.... fans wanted a new tunnel walk song. they enlisted mikey bo and it was trash. a year later we are back to sirius. tell me i dont have some kind of point here.

• Fire 1

no. no. and no.

wrestling-she-mad.gif

lol what??

what do you disagree with? be specific. don't say "all of it"

We can't just rely on tradition to get top recruits here anymore. These kids weren't even born the last time we won a MNC.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't want to be exactly like Oregon, but we need to build our own brand/story to get kids here. The gameday atmosphere needs a kick to get people excited again. Like beanman said, the tunnel walk just doesn't do it for some people anymore. The band does the same pregame/halftime show every week. Its like going to a Catholic mass. We are just a bunch of robots programed to do the same thing every weekend.

Do something that kicks some life into the fans at the game. Do things that will get top recruits excited to come play for Nebraska. I guess I just don't see whats wrong with trying something new. Not completely go away from our roots, but tweak things. The tradition is great, but it hasn't done anything for us in the last 15+ years.

We can't just rely on tradition to get top recruits here anymore. These kids weren't even born the last time we won a MNC.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't want to be exactly like Oregon, but we need to build our own brand/story to get kids here. The gameday atmosphere needs a kick to get people excited again. Like beanman said, the tunnel walk just doesn't do it for some people anymore. The band does the same pregame/halftime show every week. Its like going to a Catholic mass. We are just a bunch of robots programed to do the same thing every weekend.

Do something that kicks some life into the fans at the game. Do things that will get top recruits excited to come play for Nebraska. I guess I just don't see whats wrong with trying something new. Not completely go away from our roots, but tweak things. The tradition is great, but it hasn't done anything for us in the last 15+ years.

Yes I understand that something needs to be done. But I think that its a little misdirected. The blue hairs are kind of an issue at the game, I get that.... But to act like we don't have a better gameday atmosphere than 90 percent of the country is blasphemous. I'd argue that we have a better gameday atmosphere than Wisonsin imo. The grass is always greener on the neighbors lawn. This is nebraska, we have one of, if not the best gameday atmospheres out there. Could we use some better music during the game? yes!!! (as i state in my comment) we do not have anyone capable of making the decisions like these that need to be made in our offices... we just don't. If its not 95 to 100%, the percentage of recruits that say yes after a home game visit has to be up there. Thats our bread and butter for getting recruits... if you get them to a home game, they will probably say yes. If you're a little bored, or you want to do the chicken dance in the stands, there is zero reason why that should affect on the field play. If you argue that doing a little dance in the stands is gonna bring more recruits and change the nebraska brand for the better, i'm going to say bullsh#t.