Tunnel Walk of Shame Speaks Out

Landlord

It is a very well written piece. Oregon is indeed a prime example of what marketing will do. They have zero national championships, their defense is not among the elite. Yet they've done well enough that Scott Frost's name pops up as much as Nick Saban's on here.

They've done well enough that they are in a dang BCS title game every year in a top 3 conference....

I would give my left nut to see NEB competing like that again........

Oregon has done well in their conference. Recently. They played in the BCS title game once recently and did not win it. Oregon is a good program with not much history that has used their marketing dollars very well. I applaud them. I'm still a Husker.

Oregon has played in 4 straight BCS games. DONU hasn't played in one since 2001 and it's the only one they've played in. Like it or not, Oregon is miles ahead of Nebraska. Miles. And we sound like the Notre Dame fans we used to make fun of. The fans that talked about tradition that hadn't produced anything in 20 years. We're becoming those guys.

• Fire 2

I posted this in the woodshed thread before I saw this one, but anybody know what happened to playing DJ Kool, Let Me Clear My Throat between the 3rd and 4th? They were doing that when I was a senior I think and the students seemed to enjoy it and the players would get lose to it on the field as well.

There were some good points brought up in that article. There is no question that certain changes do need to happen to "put a fresh new polish" if you will on the Nebraska brand.

Do we have to be exactly like Oregon? God no! Sometimes lately I think Nebraska fans have gotten a little too hung up on how Oregon is doing this, and Oregon is doing that. We can certainly gain ideas & perspective of how they are branding their program, but at the same time we certainly do not have to be exactly like them.

Two things that I personally think would vastly improve the in-game experience inside Memorial Stadium:

1. Move the student section.
  2. Upgrade the stadium's sound system.

Why would we want to be exactly like Oregon? Wouldn't we want to make a name for our own brand? I don't think it will help if we go the exact route Oregon did, then how would recruits differentiate Oregon and Nebraska if they are doing the exact same thing?

I don't think people want to be Oregon, but we need to do something to be the next Oregon (if that makes sense). Instead of people using Oregon as an example of what recruits look for, they use Nebraska instead. Its about creating our own image and story.

It is a very well written piece. Oregon is indeed a prime example of what marketing will do. They have zero national championships, their defense is not among the elite. Yet they've done well enough that Scott Frost's name pops up as much as Nick Saban's on here.

They've done well enough that they are in a dang BCS title game every year in a top 3 conference....

I would give my left nut to see NEB competing like that again........

Oregon has done well in their conference. Recently. They played in the BCS title game once recently and did not win it. Oregon is a good program with not much history that has used their marketing dollars very well. I applaud them. I'm still a Husker.

Oregon has played in 4 straight BCS games. DONU hasn't played in one since 2001 and it's the only one they've played in. Like it or not, Oregon is miles ahead of Nebraska. Miles. And we sound like the Notre Dame fans we used to make fun of. The fans that talked about tradition that hadn't produced anything in 20 years. We're becoming those guys.

I feel no need to defend Oregon. I'm a Husker. Oregon has done a nice job. Recently. Which is what I wrote above.

pyrotecnics don't win games

songs between quarters don't win games

cool uniforms don't win games

an awesome website doesn't win games

a rowdy tunnel walk doesn't win games

runza commercials on 4 screens during a timeout on 4th & 1 don't win games

you know what wins games? great players being coached to get the most out of their great ability.

how do you get some great players?

by having a cool website

by making the gameday atmosphere rowdy and fun

updating and keeping things fresh and with good energy

Bo has had some good players and many of those players are making millions in the NFL. He knows what to do with talent and how to get the ability out of his players.

but i agree, our "atmosphere" is pretty lame. I have a friend going to the NW game this weekend and he is a big chiefs fan, goes to games there all the time. I'm kinda apprehensive of what he's gonna think of 90k+ sitting on their hands.

We need some freshness in and around campus and the program. We need to be more dangerous, more risk taking. Just like on the field, it spills over. Why so serious???

I am I......I don't really mind your posts.....

But aren't you contradicting yourself there a bit with what you posted above in your response?.......

NEB needs to invest money in other avenues of the program and take a hard look at how to bring top-notch recruits to NEB. There are many ways to go about doing it......some not legal, and other ways that take a bit of investing time and money.

He's saying all of those things aren't directly related to winning. Having great players and great coaches is, however. In order to attract great players, we need to enhance those things. So in turn, he's supporting more creative and inventive ways of enhancing areas of the program that will attract young elite athletes to Nebraska.

yep, that's pretty much it

i'm sure there are schools out there with awesome web design and cool stadium features, but no real handle like our great tradition and winning excellence over the last 5-60 years. so, we have can have both. which will bring in the Jimmy and Joe's to enhance our X's and O's.

i'm not contradicting myself or TWOS, i'm agreeing with him that there are ways that things can be "cooler" and more intimidating without bordering on the ridiculous all the while using our tradition in the modern era.

ps, i'm glad you don't mind my posts :)

I don't want to rebrand, I want to win. We get the athletes and then don't do anything with them. Start winning with some swagger and Nebraska will again be sexy. Fine, revamp a few things here and there but Lincoln is in the middle of the corn coast and I'm not at all ashamed of it. Remember, Lil "Red was a revamp.

There were some good points brought up in that article. There is no question that certain changes do need to happen to "put a fresh new polish" if you will on the Nebraska brand.

Do we have to be exactly like Oregon? God no! Sometimes lately I think Nebraska fans have gotten a little too hung up on how Oregon is doing this, and Oregon is doing that. We can certainly gain ideas & perspective of how they are branding their program, but at the same time we certainly do not have to be exactly like them.

Two things that I personally think would vastly improve the in-game experience inside Memorial Stadium:

1. Move the student section.
  2. Upgrade the stadium's sound system.

Why would we want to be exactly like Oregon? Wouldn't we want to make a name for our own brand? I don't think it will help if we go the exact route Oregon did, then how would recruits differentiate Oregon and Nebraska if they are doing the exact same thing?

I don't think people want to be Oregon, but we need to do something to be the next Oregon (if that makes sense). Instead of people using Oregon as an example of what recruits look for, they use Nebraska instead. Its about creating our own image and story.

I wasn't implying that we should be exactly like Oregon, I was simply making reference to the fact that some people in the past on HuskerBoard have wanted us to be more like Oregon.

In my opinion Oregon does things their way and Nebraska will do what they think is best for the Husker program. That's not to say Nebraska can't study Oregon to see what we can apply here, and put our own midwestern spin on certain things.

So in summary, I am in complete agreement with you that we need to change some things within the Nebraska program in order to pull ourselves back up into the national elite...and let's face it, right now we're not there.

Minnesota handed out towels to everyone Saturday at the game. The crowd all yelled, "first down" when the announcer said, "that's another Minnesota". At first I thought it was lame, but the more I saw the Minny crowd getting into it, I kind of liked it. They played modern music during the breaks and the people danced and had fun.

After going to Husker games for 40+ years, I have to agree that maybe we as a crowd need to do more. I know when I played ball, regardless what some people say, you do hear the crowd and wanted to play harder for them as well as the team, I've never been a big fan of change, tradition wise, but here are a some changes crowd wise that could help.

I'm willing to do my part.

The Chiefs do this and it's fun. But anyway...who cares. What happened to Bo's "put the N under someone's chin" speeches that motivate players?

A good coach changes the culture and the entire program. Devaney, Chip Kelly, Art Briles.

Once you start winning, the branding takes care of itself, usually reflecting whatever style the coach brings to the team.

If the Huskers played fiery and hard-nosed football, the Pelini brand would make sense. But they don't and it doesn't.

Still, as long as you have to make videos, choose music and design websites, you might as well do it up right.

Minnesota handed out towels to everyone Saturday at the game. The crowd all yelled, "first down" when the announcer said, "that's another Minnesota". At first I thought it was lame, but the more I saw the Minny crowd getting into it, I kind of liked it. They played modern music during the breaks and the people danced and had fun.

After going to Husker games for 40+ years, I have to agree that maybe we as a crowd need to do more. I know when I played ball, regardless what some people say, you do hear the crowd and wanted to play harder for them as well as the team, I've never been a big fan of change, tradition wise, but here are a some changes crowd wise that could help.

I'm willing to do my part.

The Chiefs do this and it's fun. But anyway...who cares. What happened to Bo's "put the N under someone's chin" speeches that motivate players?

I've spoke my opinions on this numerious times. It all went to hell in College Station 2010. If you look at it factually, our program has not been the same since, when was definitely on the upswing before. Perlman took Bo's balls away after that night. Plain and simple.

• Fire 2

no. no. and no.

It has a couple meek points but thats about it. winning takes care of all those things. "Firing the coach is not the answer. We need to form a new brand. Just look at osu, they hired a new coach and it helped their brand tremendously" What? "our website isnt as good as oregons, and they have cool jerseys." f#*k outta here. "Our gameday experience sucks." Thats absolutely rediculous. Because we dont play jump around? Okay. We are desperate but f#*k all that "lets be like them sh#t". Theres no honor in that in my opinion. Thats why i hate wisconsin, because they tried to "brand" themselves like us. Stfu and get recruits. Stfu and win.

The sound system is absolutely atrocious. Thats step one. I am very very very weary to bring up "hip" changes of any kind when it concerns nebraska. Basically because we are sooooo bad it. There is a serious chance that anything that changes will be much worse. Case in point, in the mid 2000's people were calling for a change to the tunnel walk music because sirius is dated. What do they do? enlist homegrown "super duper producer" mikey bo to concoct some young new hip music. Next thing u know we have some irrelevent, boom boom clap timbaland throw away beat that took five min. Then we think we're so f'ing hip and cool and young. No. Uniforms, dont even get me started on that. We f'ing suck sooo hard at picking anything new uniform wise. (FORGET I EVEN MENTIONED THE UNIFORMS, IF ANYTHING CHANGES ON THE UNI'S I'M GETTING VIOLENT). Anything we would try to do to keep up with the jones' would hurt us double imo. We are very corny at trying to be cool. Winning and kicking ass while not giving a f#*k about being cool is our Fonzie, Morrison, Elvis cool. Its our brand. Just because we arent doing that doesnt mean we should play halloween.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

anybody arguing the points in this article, i can make a case for them being clueless.

Do we need some new sort of DJ in the box playing stadium music during the games? absolutely! But is there anyone in the nebraska offices that can find/hire that person? No, there isn't. And if you get beggy with it, they put on mikey bo music. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR!!

However, I will say..... we've got lots of D bags that like to take it upon themselves and take out their frustrations on players via social media. What a bunch of morons. If these people went missing and were never found I wouldn't be upset.

• Fire 1

I posted this in the woodshed thread before I saw this one, but anybody know what happened to playing DJ Kool, Let Me Clear My Throat between the 3rd and 4th? They were doing that when I was a senior I think and the students seemed to enjoy it and the players would get lose to it on the field as well.

Several blue-hairs had heart attacks, so it was replaced with 'My Heart Will Go On' by Celine Dion.

Kind of fitting. Hearts. Titanic. Fake irony.

Here is the "Do the Gopher" video for this season.

and one from last season:

shoot, just youtube "Do the Gopher" there are some pretty entertaining ones on there...the things people do when they see they are on camera.

Like I said, its fairly ridiculous but clearly fun and all the fans (not just the student section) get into it.

So what??? whats your point??? Dances will get us winning? We are toooooooo far gone here people. Too far gone.