Huskers fall in closed scrimmage

I remember Northern State (D-2 school located in Aberdeen, SD) beat Butler a few years ago and Butler went to the NC game that year, Ohio State lost to a D-2 team back in 07 and went on to win the NIT. These exhibition and scrimmage games aren't even worth paying attention to as fans. Nebraska wasn't playing to win, while SDSU was probably trying to play the game of their lives.

I remember Northern State (D-2 school located in Aberdeen, SD) beat Butler a few years ago and Butler went to the NC game that year, Ohio State lost to a D-2 team back in 07 and went on to win the NIT. These exhibition and scrimmage games aren't even worth paying attention to as fans. Nebraska wasn't playing to win, while SDSU was probably trying to play the game of their lives.

Correct, of all the games State has played in route to 2 summit league titles and 2 NCAA tournament births, this was their super bowl... In an empty arena... To a team selected to finish last in the big ten.. Other than that, I agree, this means nothing.

Correct, of all the games State has played in route to 2 summit league titles and 2 NCAA tournament births, this was their super bowl... In an empty arena... To a team selected to finish last in the big ten.. Other than that, I agree, this means nothing.

Fine, game of their lives was an overstatement, but there is no doubt that they were playing to win while I'm sure we were trying out many different things just to see how they looked.

Fine, game of their lives was an overstatement, but there is no doubt that they were playing to win while I'm sure we were trying out many different things just to see how they looked.

okay, nice way to try and rationalize something that didnt need rationalizing. it was a glorified practice which probably included more than just a "game" between the two teams. pretty sure they were also working on some things.

Well, I'm a fan of both teams (ok, Husker football, don't follow BB much, haven't given me a reason too) so I may be able to lend a little more to the discussion.

Yes, it was a closed scrimmage in an empty gym and it doesn't mean anything as far as the season goes. Nobody knows who played. Maybe SDSU played their best players and NU used it to evaluate young talent? Maybe it was the exact opposite. Doesn't matter.

One thing that I can tell you is that SDSU has a very good basketball team and that result on any date wouldn't be surprise to me or anyone that knows the two teams. The SDSU team this year may be better than either team that went to the NCAA Tournament. SDSU gave Michigan its closest game in the NCAA Tournament until the loss to Louisville in the final. SDSU is favored to win the conference again this year and has added depth, talent, and size. Enough to overcome the loss of All-American PG Nate Wolters.

SDSU Coach Scott Nagy and Tim Miles have been friends for years so that makes for a natural fit for a scrimmage. Miles is aware of the talent that SDSU has and has had the last few years. That is why SDSU isn't on the regular season schedule. It would be perceived as a bad loss for the Huskers even though the Jacks probably are the better team.

My hope is that with Miles (he is a good guy, solid coach), the new arena, and commitment to getting better by the AD that the Huskers become a contender in basketball. That would make my inner Husker quite proud. Good luck this season!

SUPERBUNNY

Well, I'm a fan of both teams (ok, Husker football, don't follow BB much, haven't given me a reason too) so I may be able to lend a little more to the discussion.

Yes, it was a closed scrimmage in an empty gym and it doesn't mean anything as far as the season goes. Nobody knows who played. Maybe SDSU played their best players and NU used it to evaluate young talent? Maybe it was the exact opposite. Doesn't matter.

One thing that I can tell you is that SDSU has a very good basketball team and that result on any date wouldn't be surprise to me or anyone that knows the two teams. The SDSU team this year may be better than either team that went to the NCAA Tournament. SDSU gave Michigan its closest game in the NCAA Tournament until the loss to Louisville in the final. SDSU is favored to win the conference again this year and has added depth, talent, and size. Enough to overcome the loss of All-American PG Nate Wolters.

SDSU Coach Scott Nagy and Tim Miles have been friends for years so that makes for a natural fit for a scrimmage. Miles is aware of the talent that SDSU has and has had the last few years. That is why SDSU isn't on the regular season schedule. It would be perceived as a bad loss for the Huskers even though the Jacks probably are the better team.

My hope is that with Miles (he is a good guy, solid coach), the new arena, and commitment to getting better by the AD that the Huskers become a contender in basketball. That would make my inner Husker quite proud. Good luck this season!

SUPERBUNNY

Doc beat the first tourney team handily, and last year's team had many bad games on the road (Hofstra, CSU Bakersfield, smoked by Belmont, still can't win in the Dome) that I doubt State would have pulled it out, though they managed to get the UNM one out of nowhere so it's possible.

Getting the once in a lifetime player State did was probably the thing that made them a tourney team, and regular season this year they'll be 3rd in the Summit at best without him. I don't think the reason they're not on the schedule is because Miles is afraid of the talent. If that Florida transfer (whose name escapes me, Cody something?) lives up to the hype he had going into college this could be another tourney team, but I'm not sold yet. If there's a Summit school that Miles has ties to and should fear this year it'd be NDSU, but even that one I don't see being a loss for the Huskers.