BF4 visuals better on PS4 over Xbone

You obviously have no clue as to how technology or IT works then.

I have a clue, I'm just looking at the entire picture while you've got a hyper focus on tech specs.

If Company A and Company B both offer me the same device with the same features and hardware, but Company A provides a better climate for creating with, using and enjoying their device, then Company A has outdone Company B.

This is what almost did Sony in early in the last generation. Terrible dev kits, insane price point, lack of exclusives, etc. Nevermind that their machine was actually significantly superior to the 360. Luckily for them, they learned enough from their mistakes to turn things around just enough to end up on equal ground.

The gimped RAM allocation alone rendered the machine inferior to the 360--it wasn't until they were able to code around it, at the expense of CPU cycles, that they could overcome that flaw. And let's not talk about the on-die RAM for the CPU (or lack thereof for the PS3), which wasted more CPU cycles that the PS3 didn't have to spare.

At the end, Sony was able to churn out some impressive looking games...but it came a couple of years after the 'impressive looking games' already hit on the XBox...or do you forget how everyone swooned when Gears first came out back in, what, 2008? Last of Us is one of the few PS3 titles that stands out (graphically) and it took until this year to see a title of this quality of visuals show up on the console.

(Incidentally, Last of Us is a good game so far. Somewhat frustrating if playing on the harder levels, but fun. Good story too.)

---

Look, I see what you're saying now...but the focus *is* on the hardware per the discussion at hand--the SDF proclamation is that the Xbox One isn't as powerful as the PS4 at the hardware level, which was supposedly the root cause for the disparity in visuals. That is being proven to be false per the Kotaku article.

You obviously have no clue as to how technology or IT works then.

I have a clue, I'm just looking at the entire picture while you've got a hyper focus on tech specs.

If Company A and Company B both offer me the same device with the same features and hardware, but Company A provides a better climate for creating with, using and enjoying their device, then Company A has outdone Company B.

This is what almost did Sony in early in the last generation. Terrible dev kits, insane price point, lack of exclusives, etc. Nevermind that their machine was actually significantly superior to the 360. Luckily for them, they learned enough from their mistakes to turn things around just enough to end up on equal ground.

At the end, Sony was able to churn out some impressive looking games...but it came a couple of years after the 'impressive looking games' already hit on the XBox...or do you forget how everyone swooned when Gears first came out back in, what, 2008?

You say the 360 already had impressive looking games but only name one game.....lol. The playstation 3 had some impressive looking games when it came out like Metal Gear Solid, Killzone, Uncharted, Motorsport. Also Warhawk wasn't a game that blew everybody away graphically, it had decent graphics but that was a really popular game though. Not only did the PS3 put out some impressive games toward the end of its cycle but it also did it at the start of its cycle too.

On the other hand, VideoGamer reports having "no problems with the PS4 build" with regards to frame rate, and criticises visual fidelity on Xbox One.

"In the single-player game, at least, texture quality can range from average to very poor, and geometry itself can look clipped and badly aliased, giving the game a jaggy, muddy look that does nothing to tell you that your £429 investment was a good one," reads VG's review.

"Multiplayer also looks demonstrably worse than in the PS4 version," it adds. "Whether through rushed/overstretched development or hardware problems (or a combination of both), Ghosts has ended up looking (far, in some cases) worse on Microsoft's machine than on its direct rival."

Game Informer dismissed the entire discussion. "I played Call of Duty: Ghosts extensively on both next-gen systems on several televisions of different sizes, and saw no differences between the two versions," it said. "The experience was virtually identical on both consoles throughout the duration of my play time. If you own both consoles and are deciding which version of Ghosts to get, I'd recommend simply going with whatever console your friends will be playing on." http://www.computerandvideogames.com/437842/cod-ghosts-reviews-split-over-xbox-one-vs-ps4-comparisons/

And in other news PC visuals are already significantly better than both consoles before either has even launched yet.

I might eventually buy one but I'm pretty disappointed and frustrated that they are already bottlenecking technological progress right now. What the hell is it gonna be like 5 years into the cycle?

It will look like running a game on PC with min specs.

Unless some exclusives really blow me away, I may skip this generation. My rig already matches or beats the 'next gen' consoles, granted it was much more expensive. I am a little interested in the PS4 controller for using with the PC though. Games might need a controller upgrade of the 360 one that I have now, and the xbone's controller wont work with PCs til sometime in 2014 (MS has issues with it working with Windows? Really? idiots)

No, the delay is so they don't introduce a controller that allows gamers right off the bat to go to PC and undermine their console business. The mapping calls from the 360 to XBox One controller is bunk to make the delay look legitimate. As soon as the XBox One controller is available, though...the PC becomes the console to own, hands down.

nah, not losing gamers to PCs are what exclusives are for. The PC community being what it is,there will be user made drivers/mods to run a xbone pad on PC within a couple days of people getting their hands on it. Sony was just smarter about it, and will have PC gamers who dont want to deal with that just buy a PS4 controller.

Once there's exclusives worth stopping down for, yes, but there isn't on the PS4 yet, and only a handful on the One. If you primarily play third party titles, then PC is the cheaper and better way to go.

Nothing for either says "Hey come drop several hundred dollars" to me. I do primarily play 3rd party titles, and there is a crap ton more PC options.

Back to the controller, I'm not ready to give MS the benefit of the doubt with regards to drivers and software for windows. For evidence I offer up the soon to be dying Games For Windows Live. Talk about a crap piece of software.

Ship a few million of anything and there are bound to be a handful of issues. As long as any distribution chain is, there are plenty of opportunities for damage to occur before it reaches the buyer.

It's more than just a handful in this case, Strigori--it's a significant minority of PS4 launch owners...significant to where Sony is having to cop to the issue and ship consoles back to be repaired.

Give credit to Sony, though--unlike the YLOD issue they had with their fat series of PS3s, Sony is issuing a mea culpa right away with the PS4 and having gamers ship their console in to be repaired and turned back around free of charge.

Though, I wonder if Sony will add an extra rubber peg to the console to fix the other launch issue with PS4:

2376216-iyj0ejfddruqy.gif

The statement from Sony was 0.4% of consoles were at issue. Pretty small number. MS will be that number or worse. 1/2 of 1% failure rate for any consumer electronic device is a pretty good number.

True, but IIRC, Microsoft also did the numbers game when the RROD issue started to get traction. Hopefully it's just .4%, and not 4% or 40%--it sucks to plunk down that much coin to get a brick, regardless the company, hardware, etc.

Also, if anyone is having problem with the BLoD and would like to troubleshoot, click here. The guide is on Sony's own site and has a number of steps to walk through before throwing in the towel and contacting their Tech Support dept.

• 4 weeks later...