The First Game We're Supposed to Lose?

Zaimejs

We should comfortably win this game. We are better than Michigan but who knows what will actually happen.

What is it that makes you believe this?

I mean it literally. What about our team right now makes you believe we should walk into Michigan and win that game comfortably? I'm trying to understand the mindset of fans like this?

Because, man! Huskers, at home, beat a winless-in-conference NW on a last-second hail mary pass. How does that not exude confidence lol

Northwestern has been in each of those losses.

We should comfortably win this game. We are better than Michigan but who knows what will actually happen.

What is it that makes you believe this?

I mean it literally. What about our team right now makes you believe we should walk into Michigan and win that game comfortably? I'm trying to understand the mindset of fans like this?

Because, man! Huskers, at home, beat a winless-in-conference NW on a last-second hail mary pass. How does that not exude confidence lol

Northwestern has been in each of those losses.

Northwestern looked really good against OSU when I watched them.

The only true advantage Meechicken has is home field, but that is a big advantage. Otherwise I think these teams are fairly evenly matched.

Things I would like to see NU do in this game.

1. Establish the run, and I mean stick with it. Run the ball, run option, a lot. I would love to see at least 12-15 options this game. Then throw play action. Nebraska doesn't need to throw the ball 30 times a game. They are best at about 17-20 IMO.

2. Shut down their run. They don't run real well and we need to keep it that way. How about they man up on the short guy with Mitchell and SJB gets the big guy and lets stop the run. I would love to see lots of run blitzes just like against NW. Gardner doesn't run as well as even a hurt Cain Colter IMO.

3. They just need to sell out and play. BP tries to scheme everything. He just needs to let them play hard, be physical and fast. Keep the game plan as simple as possible.

I know they are 18-0 under Hoke at home, but they can be beat.

Thanks for spelling your thread title correctly. I have argued with my wife several times over this, and she still spells it "suppose to" instead of "supposed to". Her main argument is that spell check thinks it's fine. eyeswear2allthatsholy

I'm guilty of being an English teacher :( or :) depending on how you look at it.

The only true advantage Meechicken has is home field, but that is a big advantage. Otherwise I think these teams are fairly evenly matched.

Things I would like to see NU do in this game.

1. Establish the run, and I mean stick with it. Run the ball, run option, a lot. I would love to see at least 12-15 options this game. Then throw play action. Nebraska doesn't need to throw the ball 30 times a game. They are best at about 17-20 IMO.

2. Shut down their run. They don't run real well and we need to keep it that way. How about they man up on the short guy with Mitchell and SJB gets the big guy and lets stop the run. I would love to see lots of run blitzes just like against NW. Gardner doesn't run as well as even a hurt Cain Colter IMO.

3. They just need to sell out and play. BP tries to scheme everything. He just needs to let them play hard, be physical and fast. Keep the game plan as simple as possible.

I know they are 18-0 under Hoke at home, but they can be beat.

This is a really good breakdown, IMO.

We'll be playing with fire if we allow TA to throw the ball a lot (I like him, but he's young and has been making mistakes against B1G Ds).

I don't see us shutting down their run, only because we haven't really shown a lot to get me excited. Hopefully, we can slow them down and not get gashed too much; at least, just slow down the attack and get a stop here and there. But our defense just hasn't been very physical thus far, and I'm not too hopeful.

Love your statement about scheming. We do have a lot of talent on the field, but they're young and unpredictable. They're gonna be prone to getting rattled in that big-time environment.

We haven't played very well in big-time road games lately, but there has to be a first time someday. So that home-field advantage is pretty huge.

They ARE beatable, like you say. But it's gonna be a really tough matchup for us.