Are We All Finally Ready to be all "N" with Armstrong?!?

The thing that impresses me most about Armstrong is something that won't always be depicted on a stat sheet. His ability to make good decisions and pitches on option plays. Even when the defense has it sniffed out, he'll be patient and make a play if there's one to be made.

Yes, I agree. That last game winning pitch to AA was a great example. He froze the defender and then pitched wt the left. He has good lateral movement - something TM lacks.

That is something that is painfully obvious with TM, he has zero lateral movement and only has straight line speed. He simply has a hard time juking defenders out of their shoes, something we've seen Tommy do already. This is why you see TM run right into defenders............he has no choice, because unless he can get his upper body turned and facing the way he wants to run, he has a terrible time side stepping laterally. His lower body is way too tight and he runs upright instead of dropping his pad level and trying to run over defenders. He needs to do this because this is why he runs right into a defender, gets slammed hard, and falls straight back into the ground. TM is faster than TA, but he's doesn't have the same agility as TA.

0 Lateral movement? People sure forget fast.

Yeah he sure looks like he just CANNOT go left or right at all. :sarcasm

Always makes me laugh when people say something to the effect of "All Martinez can do is run fast." Because touchdowns don't count if you simply out-run everyone? That you're not the leading active rusher in the NCAA because all you can do is run fast? That you're not a Top 10 rusher in the history of Husker football because all you can do is run fast? I mean, really? How hard do you have to be looking to be able to discredit someone by making arguments like that?

The thing that impresses me most about Armstrong is something that won't always be depicted on a stat sheet. His ability to make good decisions and pitches on option plays. Even when the defense has it sniffed out, he'll be patient and make a play if there's one to be made.

Yes, I agree. That last game winning pitch to AA was a great example. He froze the defender and then pitched wt the left. He has good lateral movement - something TM lacks.

That is something that is painfully obvious with TM, he has zero lateral movement and only has straight line speed. He simply has a hard time juking defenders out of their shoes, something we've seen Tommy do already. This is why you see TM run right into defenders............he has no choice, because unless he can get his upper body turned and facing the way he wants to run, he has a terrible time side stepping laterally. His lower body is way too tight and he runs upright instead of dropping his pad level and trying to run over defenders. He needs to do this because this is why he runs right into a defender, gets slammed hard, and falls straight back into the ground. TM is faster than TA, but he's doesn't have the same agility as TA.

Uh, he had one cut in there that had SOME lateral movement in there, outside of that it was mostly straight lines. I can show you a thousand examples of what I'm talking about, I just don't have the time to look up the videos.

Always makes me laugh when people say something to the effect of "All Martinez can do is run fast." Because touchdowns don't count if you simply out-run everyone? That you're not the leading active rusher in the NCAA because all you can do is run fast? That you're not a Top 10 rusher in the history of Husker football because all you can do is run fast? I mean, really? How hard do you have to be looking to be able to discredit someone by making arguments like that?

Also, I'm not a Taylor basher, look at my posting history if you don't believe me. I take it when you say "people" you mean me.

Also, I'm not a Taylor basher, look at my posting history if you don't believe me. I take it when you say "people" you mean me.

It's no secret that juking isn't in his bag of tricks. Just because someone brings it us doesn't have to mean they are a Taylor basher. But why fixate so much on what someone can't do when they've rewritten the record books with what they can do?

It's no secret that juking isn't in his bag of tricks. Just because someone brings it us doesn't have to mean they are a Taylor basher. But why fixate so much on what someone can't do when they've rewritten the record books with what they can do?

Because it's something that A LOT of folks have been critical of involving his play. I love the kid to death, wish like hell he was healthy because I'd feel more comfortable with a 100% Taylor Martinez in November than a 100% Tommy Armstrong in November. He's been blasted several times by defensive players for his inability to cut/juke away from a defensive player and he ends up running right into them and taking a pretty large hit. Recent example: UCLA game this season, granted his foot was obviously hurt, I'll give you that, but that's just one example of this. Makes me cringe to see him get hit like that..........

Because it's something that A LOT of folks have been critical of involving his play. I love the kid to death, wish like hell he was healthy because I'd feel more comfortable with a 100% Taylor Martinez in November than a 100% Tommy Armstrong in November. He's been blasted several times by defensive players for his inability to cut/juke away from a defensive player and he ends up running right into them and taking a pretty large hit. Recent example: UCLA game this season, granted his foot was obviously hurt, I'll give you that, but that's just one example of this. Makes me cringe to see him get hit like that..........

So unless someone is perfect - speed of Deion Sanders, moves like Barry Sanders, throws the ball like Dan Marino - it makes more sense to continually talk about the things he can't do?

OK I think we have a consensus!

TA is the man for the rest of the season.

RKIII comes in for spot relief as needed should TA falter.

TM gets the bowl if healthy to reward his great career.

I'm going to add here: this thread from here on is based on the assumption of an unhealthy Martinez until the bowl game. If someone wants to debate 100% healthy TM vs. TA (who may not be 100% himself), feel free to start a thread for that as it's become really tiresome to hear about.

I can agree with this.

Uh, he had one cut in there that had SOME lateral movement in there, outside of that it was mostly straight lines. I can show you a thousand examples of what I'm talking about, I just don't have the time to look up the videos.

So saying he has zero lateral movement was you trying to sell a lie? What other BS you trying to sell us as flowers then?

I can build a thousand strawmen too...I just elect to go with facts and statistics to back up what I have to say not just used car salesmen bullcrap based on my own opinion.

You're being ridiculous and need to relax. I don't know what the issue is here. He has problems with lateral movement.......deal with the facts dude. Love the kid, I've said that, you're taking it personally. (rolls eyes)

• Fire 1

I'm not too sure how we got started on this but BRI is correct. Moving laterally, not Taylor's strong suit. His strength was his acceleration and top gear. Kinda silly to argue otherwise.

Tommy's got a long way to go but so much to love so far about his game and his demeanor. Going to be a hell of a quarterback battle in the offseason.

I'd be very confident about TA starting next year due to his development this season if it weren't for something da skers said in another thread about Stanton. Either way will be fun to watch.

TM is just awkward as a QB and the difference between him and TA isn't subtle. It's too bad that he wasn't able to finish his career on the field though. I can't imagine how that feels. If he had stayed as a slot receiver, is there any doubt that he'd be headed to the NFL? It would be cool if he still got that chance but the accumulation of injuries doesn't make that too likely IMO.

TM was sort of a one trick pony but damn, that was one hell of a trick. I doubt we'll ever see another QB with that type of acceleration.

I'm not too sure how we got started on this but BRI is correct. Moving laterally, not Taylor's strong suit. His strength was his acceleration and top gear. Kinda silly to argue otherwise.

Tommy's got a long way to go but so much to love so far about his game and his demeanor. Going to be a hell of a quarterback battle in the offseason.

We got on it because he stated Taylor had ZERO ability to move laterally. I posted proof to the contrary and his panties got in a wad.

I disagree, I didn't think someone would honestly take that 100% word for word. Figured most would understand that he lacks this in his game. Can't help you if you read farther into it. Care to carry the discussion on that's what the woodshed is for. The thread is about Tommy being the guy and we're moving on so you can either move on with the discussion or leave the thread and start another about Martinez's lateral ability and see how that goes. Thanks. :thumbs

I'd be very confident about TA starting next year due to his development this season if it weren't for something da skers said in another thread about Stanton. Either way will be fun to watch.

TM is just awkward as a QB and the difference between him and TA isn't subtle. It's too bad that he wasn't able to finish his career on the field though. I can't imagine how that feels. If he had stayed as a slot receiver, is there any doubt that he'd be headed to the NFL? It would be cool if he still got that chance but the accumulation of injuries doesn't make that too likely IMO.

TM was sort of a one trick pony but damn, that was one hell of a trick. I doubt we'll ever see another QB with that type of acceleration.

I agree about TA having the edge at this point, Stanton has some catching up to do, but we have no idea what he can do on the field either. So far I like what I see out of TA and believe he'll be a great QB. He has the ability to run the option well and you have to account for him as a defender or he'll make you pay. Some of the fakes he's done so far have been pretty cool to see. Hope to see more of that on Saturday.