Defensive Scheme Change?

Gulp, as much as I have hated to hear "scheme", "execute", "in a position to make plays" etc, I think we are seeing the results of guys starting to "get it" along with the athleticism to perform.

I do think that Bo has, to a degree, pared down the calls (simplified) for lack of a better term and is dialing up more pressure. The scheme is still Bo's, just calling what the guys can execute.

I am really surprised we have dialed up this much pressure ie blitzes at times, the past two games as we have played mobile QB's.

I also think the emergence of Curry, VV, RG has helped as well.

What it appears we've don't in the last 7 quarters of football is just let our athletes be athletes and go make plays. The players seem as though they are starting to trust the scheme and the coaches are putting the trust in our guys as a whole to roll the dice a lot more and play fast and loose.

What it appears we've don't in the last 7 quarters of football is just let our athletes be athletes and go make plays. The players seem as though they are starting to trust the scheme and the coaches are putting the trust in our guys as a whole to roll the dice a lot more and play fast and loose.

It does seem that every player is moving faster. I love seeing multiple players converge at the ball carrier.

I can't recall where I read this but I believe that the players talked to Papuchis and Bo about scrapping the previous defensive scheme that we saw earlier this season and going to a more simple yet aggressive scheme. Whatever it is, keep it going because it is working! It's been a long time since I have seen a Husker D shut down dual threat QB's, it is a thing of beauty!

I think we're seeing a couple things. First, we have a lot of guys who had little playing experience coming into the year getting more comfortable. Second, when we get to defend what we've prepared for, we can be very good. We struggle when teams throw something we at us that we haven't prepared for (Wiscy in the CCG, Minny with all their shifting and crazy formations, etc.). Part of why we have looked so much faster (I believe) is that we are reacting to what we've been preparing for all week in practice instead of trying to figure everything out on the fly - especially with a lot of young guys.

We're actually tackling well now. I don't remember any part of that Michigan game where we had a guy fly in missing on an arm tackle. We are starting to see the potential that Bo talked about with this defense

There were a few missed tackles against UM, but overall our tackling has improved a TON. Also, guys aren't as hesitant about whether to hold their ground or attack the ball. There were a couple plays this week where the underneath coverage guy had to choose whether to stay with their coverage or close in on the scrambling QB, and each time our guy did one or the other and did not get caught halfway between which I've seen us do a lot not just this season but also last season.