Where is the Big Play?

Fuzzy

I was thinking about this too. As great as Abdullah is, he hasn't had a lot of huge runs. Most of his yardage is in small bursts. We've had a couple long passes, but we have not broken a lot of long plays... especially long runs.

Ameer has had runs of 62, 43, 41, and 37, all in different games. Throw in 50 and 46 yard completions, too.

Last year, he only had longs of 45 and 36. (Rex had 71, 63, and 57).

The difference is not having a healthy Taylor.

I think we are capable of a big play at any moment. That is a good thing.

I also like the fact we have shown we can grind away.

Yeah, we relied on the big play last year, and it hurt us sometimes on D, shooting our wad, and having unrealistic expectations of what we were capable of.

Gimmie Stanford grind over Oregon flash any day. Gimmie the huskers CAPABLE of a big play--but still getting yds when we need to, to flip the field, rest the D, kill the clock.

I tell you what, Mr. Chamberlin. I've seen this very thing come to pass before. I recall coach Vince Dooley's post Herschel Walker signed recruits at running back go through a pedestrian season after 8 games to where no player had had a longer run past 35 yards or so from the line of scrimmage back in 1985. Here, I am talking about former NFL running backs Keith Henderson, Lars Tate, and Tim Worley. Then rolls in undefeated #2 ranked Florida with the nation's top rush defense. What do the three great backs do when faced with this monumental task after having 8 regular season games with lackluster performances? The answer is...they EXPLODE! Keith Henderson pops a 76 yard TD run in the 1st quarter and later adds a 32 yarder for a score. Lars Tate then pops his longest run of the season at 40 yards. And then the 4.27 (40 yd. dash/ senior year in HS) speedster, 6-2, 205-pound Tim Worley completes the beatdown by racing 89 yards on a toss sweep to complete Georgia's 24-3 win over a dynamic Florida team in late November 1985. People could have made the same judgement about Georgia's offense that year that they are making about the current Cornhusker offense...and then your offense has that special moment in history. It could happen. I've seen it happen before.

Losing TM's wheels makes a big difference, not only in direct production but in that teams cheated-up to stop the run and opened themselves for the big pass. Now we lack a breakaway runner and our receivers have been inconsistent, goodbye big play. That is something we could overcome if our line was healthy but with a patchwork line going against an elite D we won't be working our way down the field much. Our receivers have to step it up and be difference-makers this week.

I tell you what, Mr. Chamberlin. I've seen this very thing come to pass before. I recall coach Vince Dooley's post Herschel Walker signed recruits at running back go through a pedestrian season after 8 games to where no player had had a longer run past 35 yards or so from the line of scrimmage back in 1985. Here, I am talking about former NFL running backs Keith Henderson, Lars Tate, and Tim Worley. Then rolls in undefeated #2 ranked Florida with the nation's top rush defense. What do the three great backs do when faced with this monumental task after having 8 regular season games with lackluster performances? The answer is...they EXPLODE! Keith Henderson pops a 76 yard TD run in the 1st quarter and later adds a 32 yarder for a score. Lars Tate then pops his longest run of the season at 40 yards. And then the 4.27 (40 yd. dash/ senior year in HS) speedster, 6-2, 205-pound Tim Worley completes the beatdown by racing 89 yards on a toss sweep to complete Georgia's 24-3 win over a dynamic Florida team in late November 1985. People could have made the same judgement about Georgia's offense that year that they are making about the current Cornhusker offense...and then your offense has that special moment in history. It could happen. I've seen it happen before.

And I wouldn't bet against it.

Honestly this thread threw me a bit, as I still consider us a big play offense. Maybe a 35 yard Abdullah run instead of a 90 yard Martinez TD, or a Kenny Bell outlet pass juked into a 45 yard gain. But I still consider this offense explosive.