Chatelain's column - 2003 all over again

np_husker

Totally agree accountability, Nebraska needs to innovate or die. My problem is, we seem to be content with, "times have changed, we can't do what we did.".

That's loser talk, and shouldn't be at all acceptable.

It will take work, luck, and risk to fix this. Fortunately, Nebraska sold that as an image for a quarter century. Time to put actions behind the talk. Though it's been time for that for a decade, in all reality.

I think we can try and do what we did in the past to make us as successful as we were, but I don't think we should believe that doing the exact same thing is going to net us the exact same results.

Oh, definitely. This isn't the 70s, 80s, and 90s. There are things we do well and have done well, like the walk-on program, that definitely need to stay a part of this program. But some things have to change.

First of all, I feel we need to really start focusing on recruiting, as obvious as that is. Recruiting certainly isn't a fix-all, I feel player development is honestly more important, but you need to try to get as much talent to work with at the start so you can build these players into football machines. Instead of a defense with one guy like Gregory, imagine a defense with two or three of them, it creates a whole new dynamic and turns our defense into a powerhouse. You basically want one really good player in each area, 1 really good secondary player, one really good linebacker, one really good lineman, that forces the opposing offense to focus on them, and let's the others come in for the kill. Same goes for offense: 1 really good wide receiver, 1 really good backfielder, 1 really good lineman. At least that's my sh**ty little theory.

RG44, Michael Rose, SJB

Kenny Bell/QE/Westercamp, AA, Spencer Long

We already have those players on the roster.

Fair points, fair points all.

I stand by what I said about recruiting. This program could use a 5-star or two.

Had RG44 not broken his leg and not played his sophomore year he would have been close.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me what is so broke about recruiting. It seems people marvel at how good certain players are yet dog recruiting as a whole.

I suppose that's fair, I mean, we certainly aren't at a complete want of talent. But it's hard to compare how good these guys are with the top teams in the nation considering the conference we are in is absolute garbage. I figure, we need to recruit at a top level so that we can win those bowl games and big non-conference games with top teams.

Instead of trying to be innovative on the developmental side this time, maybe it's time to take a look at how to get the big time players to flock to Lincoln instead of Tallahassee, Tuscaloosa, and LA. That my friends would be innovation.

That is the key in my opinion and our staff has worked hard to do what I call "out-evaluate" the other coaching staffs.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me what is so broke about recruiting. It seems people marvel at how good certain players are yet dog recruiting as a whole.

I suppose that's fair, I mean, we certainly aren't at a complete want of talent. But it's hard to compare how good these guys are with the top teams in the nation considering the conference we are in is absolute garbage. I figure, we need to recruit at a top level so that we can win those bowl games and big non-conference games with top teams.

Not being an ass, but what is the measuring stick for recruiting?

Totally agree accountability, Nebraska needs to innovate or die. My problem is, we seem to be content with, "times have changed, we can't do what we did.".

That's loser talk, and shouldn't be at all acceptable.

It will take work, luck, and risk to fix this. Fortunately, Nebraska sold that as an image for a quarter century. Time to put actions behind the talk. Though it's been time for that for a decade, in all reality.

I think we can try and do what we did in the past to make us as successful as we were, but I don't think we should believe that doing the exact same thing is going to net us the exact same results.

Oh, definitely. This isn't the 70s, 80s, and 90s. There are things we do well and have done well, like the walk-on program, that definitely need to stay a part of this program. But some things have to change.

First of all, I feel we need to really start focusing on recruiting, as obvious as that is. Recruiting certainly isn't a fix-all, I feel player development is honestly more important, but you need to try to get as much talent to work with at the start so you can build these players into football machines. Instead of a defense with one guy like Gregory, imagine a defense with two or three of them, it creates a whole new dynamic and turns our defense into a powerhouse. You basically want one really good player in each area, 1 really good secondary player, one really good linebacker, one really good lineman, that forces the opposing offense to focus on them, and let's the others come in for the kill. Same goes for offense: 1 really good wide receiver, 1 really good backfielder, 1 really good lineman. At least that's my sh**ty little theory.

RG44, Michael Rose, SJB

Kenny Bell/QE/Westercamp, AA, Spencer Long

We already have those players on the roster.

Fair points, fair points all.

I stand by what I said about recruiting. This program could use a 5-star or two.

The thing about 5 star recruits is they don't always turn into great college athletes. Marlon Lucky, Aaron Green, Baker Steinkuhler. We've had our fair share, but they haven't turned into big time stars. Look at AG now. Not even the starter for TCU. I think he's third string.

Id take *** like Suh, KB and AA anytime. Not saying all five stars don't turn into great players, but just because they have ***** next to their name doesn't automatically mean they are going to be great players for us. We will get ***** players every once and a while, don't worry.

because we dont have 35 committs in July made up of severly underevaluated hot dogs who have yet to even play a snap as a senior in high school, and have been promised the world, half of which will probably decommit and go somewhere else by signing day anyway.

I dont pay much attention to recruiting. But enough to have the common sense to know what's going on. This staff puts a lot into evaluation. We cant afford to miss on guys like we did int he '09 and '10 classes anymore. That's why the inseason part of recruiting is slow time. Coaches are evaluating how seniors perform on the field. Then we make the push after the season's over-starting now. but you'll never get the haters to understand this.

Again, Bo has my flustered on many accounts right now. But his recruiting, and vast improvement within, I cant find anything to be upset about. Some ignorant folks just want those stars so we can be on front page of Rivals or Scout. f#*k that sh#t. That crap's a bunch of manipulated bs anyway.

That's a fair question, I honestly can't pretend to know the answer.

And, Po, those are good points, I sometimes forget to consider that.

Instead of trying to be innovative on the developmental side this time, maybe it's time to take a look at how to get the big time players to flock to Lincoln instead of Tallahassee, Tuscaloosa, and LA. That my friends would be innovation.

That is the key in my opinion and our staff has worked hard to do what I call "out-evaluate" the other coaching staffs.

Very much agree. This is how we got, and will hopefully continue to get, the Abdullah's and Moss'.

• Fire 1

That's a fair question, I honestly can't pretend to know the answer.

And, Po, those are good points, I sometimes forget to consider that.

Don't get me wrong, Id love to get those ***** players also. I know we won't get 5-6 every year, but Id like to get 1-2 every couple years.

So, then what's next, fundamentals? I mean, that seems to always be a problem for Bo's teams, be it that it shows up in different ways. Sometimes it's poor tackling, other times its turnovers, other times its an ungodly number of penalties...

YES. Fundamentals. Enough of the technical fancy pants bs on offense. Narrow down an identity. Feed Ameer the ball 40 times a game. Dont fumble. Win. Profit. Bang the hookers. Smoke the blow. Dun.

because we dont have 35 committs in July made up of severly underevaluated hot dogs who have yet to even play a snap as a senior in high school, and have been promised the world, half of which will probably decommit and go somewhere else by signing day anyway.

I dont pay much attention to recruiting. But enough to have the common sense to know what's going on. This staff puts a lot into evaluation. We cant afford to miss on guys like we did int he '09 and '10 classes anymore. That's why the inseason part of recruiting is slow time. Coaches are evaluating how seniors perform on the field. Then we make the push after the season's over-starting now. but you'll never get the haters to understand this.

Again, Bo has my flustered on many accounts right now. But his recruiting, and vast improvement within, I cant find anything to be upset about. Some ignorant folks just want those stars so we can be on front page of Rivals or Scout. f#*k that sh#t. That crap's a bunch of manipulated bs anyway.

I lost most of my faith in rivals when they dropped Adam Taylor to a three star kid. Since the end of 2010 when we were able to bring in Lavonte David and Kenny Bell I have really not found anything to be angry at. The one that stings

Is Peat. Andrus would give us another tackle that would be starting IMO.

Very much agree. This is how we got, and will hopefully continue to get, the Abdullah's and Moss'.

Moss is a very good example of our staff finding him from looking at the Peats and projecting him accurately. Kid had only played like 10 football games in his life before he signed with us.