Lansing State Journal: Husker Fans' Unique Kindness is Winningest Approach

Landlord

Posted this over in the compliments thread but figured it deserved it's own attention. Really cool article from Spartan country:

In an informal survey of visiting fans at Spartan Stadium last year — for a column I never completed — I learned Nebraska’s fans to be the nicest in the Big Ten, unanimously. Ohio State’s, just as consistently, were considered to be the worst.

The Buckeyes, by the way, are 187-35-1 at home in the last 33 years, a few wins behind the Huskers, so relative cruelty has brought their fans nothing.

The year 1980 is significant because it’s when a way of life became an identity for Nebraska fans, beginning with an open letter from Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, published in the Lincoln and Omaha newspapers, shortly after the Seminoles were cheered as they left the field, following an 18-14 Florida State win.

Dated, Oct. 8, 1980, it read, in part:

“I have never seen people with more class than I saw at Nebraska last week. … I actually had the feeling that when we upset the Nebraska team, that instead of hate and spite, the Nebraska fans thanked us for coming to Lincoln and putting on a good show. This is nearly unheard of in today’s society.”

Or today’s. Except at Nebraska.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20131115/COLUMNISTS15/311150039/

I think if our team was putting out a hard nosed focused and solid looking effort each week, there wouldn't be as much vitriol among fans...sure the jerk fans you get with every fanbase but a lot of people are just frustrated with our lack of performance. We look like a high school team at times in terms of discipline.

I followed Dantonio out of the tunnel on Saturday. As he walked through the tunnel there was a TON of fans there waiting to high five him and congratulate him and his players on a great game. More than half of those fans were wearing red. It felt really good to see that.