Putting the 9 wins debate to bed

I said this a couple of days ago. I think it would work out quite well for us. Tressel seems a lot like coach Osborne.

I know the NCAA stuff, but Tom made some questionable choices concerning some of his players, and so did the Bob Father. I could see giving coach Tressel a second chance.

I said this a couple of days ago. I think it would work out quite well for us. Tressel seems a lot like coach Osborne.

I know the NCAA stuff, but Tom made some questionable choices concerning some of his players, and so did the Bob Father. I could see giving coach Tressel a second chance.

tressel should have went to a small school for a year or two just to get that show-cause out of the way. but if he had a good team in place, i do not think it would be that detrimental.

If they are hired, they deserve just as much a shot as Bo was given don't they? If not, why?

Yes, the next coach (if there was actually an opening) should be given just as much a shot as Pelini. Now, please tell me measurably what that equates to......and I'm not talking about the vaguery of "not getting blown out" or "playing hard" or whatever. Because Pelini has won 10 games in three different seasons and 9 games in his other two full seasons.....including playing in the conference championship game 3 of those 5 full seasons. So, what does it mean to give another coach "just as much of a shot" as Pelini?

A Tressel/Frost combo would be hard to refuse. Probably a pipe dream, but sometimes you have to dare to dream.

Banner-arthur-and-eames-15138948-721-343.jpg

that would be nice because frost would be the obvious coach-in-waiting if things went well given tressel's age.

Exactly. Nebraska would get a try-before-you-buy opportunity with Frost, and we'd actually get to see him manage fall camp, five games plus a bowl, and possibly a B1G CCG. Assuming Tressel can recruit while riding the pine, it might even work to our advantage.

Definitely a pipe dream, but I've not seen any compelling reason that Tressel is so toxic that he can't be seriously considered. If Frost could be persuaded and Tressel could be bought, I can't imagine how we'd be markedly worse off than we are now.

And I'm betting one of them could figure out how to return a punt. Or beat Minnesota.

Definitely a pipe dream, but I've not seen any compelling reason that Tressel is so toxic that he can't be seriously considered. If Frost could be persuaded and Tressel could be bought, I can't imagine how we'd be markedly worse off than we are now.

not only that, but the more i think about it the more i think he would be an excellent hire.

I think everyone deserves a second chance as well and as e-z said I know I've been given a few.

One thing about Tressel is he would absolutely get better recruits here. His hiring would impact recruiting immediately.

Maybe I am naive, but I don't see recruiting as an issue currently. Maybe rivals does. But I am really trying hard to find issues with the past three and a half cycles we have had. When I ask people this question as well, they don't seem to be able to give me an educated answer. Not saying an educated answer isn't out there, but I have yet to see someone give me one or break down any of the classes as a whole.

I follow recruiting probably more than I should. Maybe the educated answer is that I need to put more stock into the rankings by people that aren't currently employed to coach and accept payments from player's parents to rank them higher on rivals.

I really don't think Tressel will ever coach again, and I am not sure why anyone wants a 60 year old man as the coach of Nebraska. If he was 50, sure lets take a chance, but Tressel has nothing left to prove in his coaching career.

osborne was 57, sure we would have let him stay on a few more years. how old is snyder? heck, reagan was 69 when he was elected president of the united states.

I think everyone deserves a second chance as well and as e-z said I know I've been given a few.

One thing about Tressel is he would absolutely get better recruits here. His hiring would impact recruiting immediately.

Would he get better recruits than Callahan? Because we saw how that worked out, in fact think about the rivals rankings;

2003 Huskers 42nd Ohio St 41st

2004 Huskers 58th Ohio St 16th

2005 Huskers 5th Ohio St 12th

2006 Huskers 20th Ohio St 12th

2007 Huskers 13th Ohio St 15th

5 yr avg

Huskers 27.6 Ohio St 19.2

Is it really that much better? Especially with the recruiting base that he had, you see what Urban is doing with it. I don't think he would recruit any better than Bo. He certainly isn't going to get us in the top 4, which should be the goal.

The current class is in quite a bit of trouble though... the questions regarding Bo's future certainly aren't helping

What is your definition of quite a bit of trouble? If it's because ranking with the recruiting boards, that has as much to do with the current lower number of commitments.....which the staff has discussed being very strategic about.

Maybe I am naive, but I don't see recruiting as an issue currently. Maybe rivals does. But I am really trying hard to find issues with the past three and a half cycles we have had. When I ask people this question as well, they don't seem to be able to give me an educated answer. Not saying an educated answer isn't out there, but I have yet to see someone give me one or break down any of the classes as a whole.

I follow recruiting probably more than I should. Maybe the educated answer is that I need to put more stock into the rankings by people that aren't currently employed to coach and accept payments from player's parents to rank them higher on rivals.

I am with you, recruiting is doing quite well. I think BP and staff have gotten fairly good at identifying talent that fits their needs. They are good at finding guys that are a little under rated in some cases and bringing them into the system.

There are lots of great players that don't quite meet the measureables that all the 4 and 5 star players have. Nebraska traditionally has been good at picking up this type of player and they have worked out pretty well.

Abdullah, Bell, Cross, Anunwa, Pensick, Martinez, Mitchell, Moss, Santoz, and Collins are all players that fit this bill

I really don't think Tressel will ever coach again, and I am not sure why anyone wants a 60 year old man as the coach of Nebraska. If he was 50, sure lets take a chance, but Tressel has nothing left to prove in his coaching career.

osborne was 57, sure we would have let him stay on a few more years. how old is snyder? heck, reagan was 69 when he was elected president of the united states.

Actually TO was almost 60 when he retired. There is a big difference between a coach that has been at a school for 25 years as HC staying at the school and bring in a 60 year year old coach with baggage and sanctions following him, wouldn't you say?