Why I'm Not Depressed

2- I think Beck went a little Watson, again. We were having success moving the ball on the ground but that, once again, got abandoned a bit prematurely for some pass happy series.

I read this kind of thing every week and just don't understand it at all.

I think the people who want Nebraska to be a "run first" offense manage to forget that our running game also gets stuffed from time to time, especially when opposing defenses think we're going to run. We fumble the ball as much or more than we throw interceptions. When we get four yards rushing on the first two downs, a passing play isn't the same as abandoning the run. If it surprises you when we throw on first down, it might surprise the defense, too. Also, we didn't abandon the run. We rarely do. I honestly don't know what games you're watching.

In the second half against MSU we came back with a bomb to Kenny Bell and a trap play to Imani Cross. Everything is great when it works. Our pass plays do not fail with any more regularity than our running plays.

Nebraska has 463 rushes for a 5.2 yard average. We have 289 passing attempts for a 6.9 yard average. We average 440 yards a game. A run and pass mix, each benefitting from the other.

And I know how much people like the stat that says how often Nebraska wins when we rush for over 200 yards. But that's going to be true with almost every team. When the running game is working, it means everything is working. It means you can keep it on the ground, tire out the opposing D, and nail them with a pass when they least expect it. But because every team in all of football would love to do that, it means defenses try to stop the run first, too. When we don't get 200 yards rushing it doesn't always mean we're not running the ball enough. It means the running game isn't working.

In the fourth quarter I believed this defense could still hold. I believed this offense could still score. Freshman quarterback and decimated offensive line against supposedly best defense in the country. They did not seem intimidated. They just didn't hang onto the ball.

At our watch site in Denver, most people in the room were expressing exactly this. We have built depth on our offensive line and our skill positions are talented. An excitement has developed now when our defense comes on the field. We are communicating.....and we are active and athletic. Continuity in our coaching staff is important right now.....we have the talent.

2- I think Beck went a little Watson, again. We were having success moving the ball on the ground but that, once again, got abandoned a bit prematurely for some pass happy series.

I think the people who want Nebraska to be a "run first" offense manage to forget that our running game also gets stuffed from time to time, especially when opposing defenses think we're going to run. We fumble the ball as much or more than we throw interceptions. When we get four yards rushing on the first two downs, a passing play isn't the same as abandoning the run. If it surprises you when we throw on first down, it might surprise the defense, too. Also, we didn't abandon the run. We rarely do. I honestly don't know what games you're watching.

In the second half against MSU we came back with a bomb to Kenny Bell and a trap play to Imani Cross. Everything is great when it works. Our pass plays do not fail with any more regularity than our running plays.

Nebraska has 463 rushes for a 5.2 yard average. We have 289 passing attempts for a 6.9 yard average. We average 440 yards a game. A run and pass mix, each benefitting from the other.

And I know how much people like the stat that says how often Nebraska wins when we rush for over 200 yards. But that's going to be true with almost every team. When the running game is working, it means everything is working. It means you can keep it on the ground, tire out the opposing D, and nail them with a pass when they least expect it. But because every team in all of football would love to do that, it means defenses try to stop the run first, too. When we don't get 200 yards rushing it doesn't always mean we're not running the ball enough. It means the running game isn't working.

This. Every argument against Beck comes down to one thing, he calls more than 10 passing plays in a game. It doesn't matter how it's candy-coated, that's the problem. I just hate that this argument is all one-sided. On Saturday we ran the ball three straight plays and went 3 and out yet nobody was calling for him to start passing the ball. Beck is not perfect, but he's not an idiot either. Sadly nobody is going to change their mind. Nobody is going to convince me that he's an idiot, and I'm not going to convince any critics that he knows what he's doing.

Guy- You read way more into that than what I actually said. I don't have a problem with throwing the ball and I don't have a problem throwing it on any down. But, I do have a problem when we go pass "only" at points in games, when the run has been effective and there is still time on the clock to not have to go strictly pass. Also, when we get to the point where we have to pass (or are going pass only), based on what I have seen of RKIII and TA, I would prefer we go with RKIII.

It has happened numerous times, so I am not sure what games you are watching to not see this. For example; TM in the Minnesota game. He had been highly ineffective passing the whole game but they kept using him like a pocket passer (square peg in round hole) for the whole game. And, I would have to watch the MSU game again (which I'm not going to do) but there were 1 or 2 series late 3rd or 4th quarter, where they had TA pretty darned pass happy and it didn't work out too well. I realize not every series is going to work out but it struck me as a bit panicky and totally not required at the time. Personally, I think they should have stuck with a more balanced attack but, if they wanted to go primarily through the air, then they should have put RKIII in for those series. I think we have all seen enough of TA to know he currently has some limitations and "problems" in the passing game. Basically, it was just more of the "go away from what is working" syndrome that Beck is becoming known for. This season is littered with examples of it. He was better about it in the MSU game but, it did rear it's ugly head at probably the most inopportune time.

Just to be clear, my excitement and optimism lasts exactly one more season.

Season or first loss of the season? Loving the optimism but if we have a close loss in the first 6 games will it dissapear?

If we lose to McNeese State at home, I'm going to get pretty fretful.

Another way to look at this:

We are frustrated because we have higher standards at Nebraska. We worry that we are being passed over - maybe permanently - by other programs. We question the relative quality of our players and look longingly at other coaches. Some blame the weather. Others think ESPN is mocking us.

While it makes perfect sense to be jealous of Baylor at this particular moment, I think we can afford to be a little more patient. So here's the question:

Would you trade the Nebraska football program right now, roster and coaching intact, straight up for:

Notre Dame

Florida

Miami

Texas

USC

UCLA

Georgia

Arkansas

Tennessee

Wisconsin

Michigan

Minnesota

Penn State

Washington

Utah

Boise State

Oklahoma State

Kansas State

Va. Tech?

Cause there are some high expectations thereabouts that aren't being met. Oklahoma and Stanford are feeling some embarrassment, too.

It might be fun to be Louisville or Baylor or Duke or Vanderbilt or Northern Illinois at the moment, but let's check back in five years.

It might be more fun to be Auburn this year, but would we have tolerated a 3 - 9 season to get there?

Do you still want to be A&M when Johnny Football leaves for the NFL?

Do you even want to be Michigan State?

It's not that bad, Husker Nation. That's all I'm sayin.

I agree. I couldn handle loss to Mcneese State. No I wouldnt trade what we have for any of them, all are flawed as are we. The thing about Bo and his staff is that the potential is there. Building a lifer staff is something Nebraska could be prideful of. But the wins have to go with it. Were getting them now but not at a high enough rate. Say Bo starts a new standard of 10-3 or 11-3 seasons. Can we live with thT for say 5-6 seasons before mKing a jump towards 11-2 or 12-2?

We should expect more but also not send out the lynch mob when it doesnt happen. I like the crew we have and whats coming in. The staff is getting more comfortable. I think a conference title is only a year mabybe two away. Can we wait that long. Will Bo even want to be here co.e that time? We are at a crossroads as a program. The next couple months could clear alot up.

Would you trade the Nebraska football program right now, roster and coaching intact, straight up for:

Notre Dame? No.

Florida? They won't make a bowl game. I've done that before, and won't do it again.

Miami? No.

Texas? I wish I had their talent, but no.

USC? I wish I had their talent, but no.

UCLA? MAYBE, but I don't see Mora staying at UCLA/college long.

Georgia? MAYBE. They have great talent, fertile recruiting ground, and Richt seems like a decent coach/guy.

Arkansas? Joking, right?

Tennessee? No.

Wisconsin? I haven't watched them much. Their OL is always great, and the new HC is doing well.

Michigan? Hell no.

Minnesota? No.

Penn State? No.

Washington? No.

Utah? No.

Boise State? No.

Oklahoma State? No.

Kansas State? No.

Va. Tech? No.

Cause there are some high expectations thereabouts that aren't being met. Oklahoma and Stanford are feeling some embarrassment, too. You mean Nebraska isn't the only team that loses to teams they shouldn't? Novel.

It might be more fun to be Auburn this year, but would we have tolerated a 3 - 9 season to get there? No, and they pay-for-play would have done me in before that.

Do you even want to be Michigan State? No.

It's not that bad, Husker Nation. That's all I'm sayin. I agree.

Guy- You read way more into that than what I actually said. I don't have a problem with throwing the ball and I don't have a problem throwing it on any down. But, I do have a problem when we go pass "only" at points in games, when the run has been effective and there is still time on the clock to not have to go strictly pass. Also, when we get to the point where we have to pass (or are going pass only), based on what I have seen of RKIII and TA, I would prefer we go with RKIII.

It has happened numerous times, so I am not sure what games you are watching to not see this. For example; TM in the Minnesota game. He had been highly ineffective passing the whole game but they kept using him like a pocket passer (square peg in round hole) for the whole game. And, I would have to watch the MSU game again (which I'm not going to do) but there were 1 or 2 series late 3rd or 4th quarter, where they had TA pretty darned pass happy and it didn't work out too well. I realize not every series is going to work out but it struck me as a bit panicky and totally not required at the time. Personally, I think they should have stuck with a more balanced attack but, if they wanted to go primarily through the air, then they should have put RKIII in for those series. I think we have all seen enough of TA to know he currently has some limitations and "problems" in the passing game. Basically, it was just more of the "go away from what is working" syndrome that Beck is becoming known for. This season is littered with examples of it. He was better about it in the MSU game but, it did rear it's ugly head at probably the most inopportune time.

This is exactly what I mean when I say that he goes away from the run. Its not that he escapes from the run game for the whole game, but its his "pass happy" syndrome he goes through. Like 8 minutes in the 4th on Saturday. 5 consecutive passing plays. These coaches tell these kids a lot that we don't have to get it all back in one play, but Beck sure does put them in the spot to do just that IMO.

Like I said to Clyde in another thread, you can make stats look favorable in any debate. Here is exactly what I am speaking of, about him escaping from the run game.

Nebraska @ 10:22 3rd. Abdullah rushes for 2, we go pass happy, FORCING ourself on LONG 3rd downs if we don't get it on 2nd down! We are down by SIX. Feed the ball to Abdullah, get a 3rd and short. Easier said that done sure, but look at what Abdullah was doing in the first half.

1st and 10 at NEB 33- Ameer Abdullah rush for 2 yards to the Neb 35

2nd and 8 at NEB 35- Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass incomplete to Cethan Carter.

3rd and 8 at NEB 35 - Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass complete to Kenny Bell for 7 yards to the Neb 42.

4th and 1 at NEB 42- Sam Foltz punt for 47 yards, returned by Macgarrett Kings Jr. for 26 yards to the MchSt 37.

Nebraska @ 5:26 3rd.

2 runs, 1st down. 1st and 10 we pass? Really? I wouldn't have a problem if this was based off a play action, but we barely saw any on Saturday. 2nd and 10 we run, thankfully 2 run plays AGAIN we get a 1st with Abdullah. We AGAIN pass on 1st, no play action, Burtch hits a 1 yard loss. Pass again, incomplete, and then ANOTHER pass because we HAVE to, and thankfully due to blown coverage on MSU, Burtch gets a 1st. Adbullah gets 1 yard on his carry, (Beck escapes the run game because it didn't work the first time?). Then pass incomplete, and THANKFULLY Bell caught an under thrown ball for a TD. This, IMO was a throw it up and pray our guy comes down with it. Luckily it worked, but still, IMO, not great play calling.

1st and 10 at NEB 21- Ameer Abdullah rush for 8 yards to the Neb 29

2nd and 2 at NEB 29- Tommy Armstrong Jr. rush for 4 yards to the Neb 33 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at NEB 33- Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass incomplete to Kenny Bell.

2nd and 10 at NEB 33- Ameer Abdullah rush for 9 yards to the Neb 42.

3rd and 1 at NEB 42- Ameer Abdullah rush for 6 yards to the Neb 48 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at NEB 48- Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass complete to Sam Burtch for a loss of 1 yard to the Neb 47.

2nd and 11 at NEB 47- Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass incomplete to Kenny Bell.

3rd and 11 at NEB 47- Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass complete to Sam Burtch for 14 yards to the MchSt 39 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at MSU 39- Ameer Abdullah rush for 1 yard to the MchSt 38.

2nd and 9 at MSU 38- Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass incomplete to Quincy Enunwa.

3rd and 9 at MSU 38- Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass complete to Kenny Bell for 38 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.

Pat Smith extra point GOOD.

Nebraska @ 7:56 4th Quarter.

Down by 13, we come out PASSING on 5 straight plays? PLENTY of clock. We should have been feeding Abdullah the ball, and using him in play action on a wheel route or screen IMO.

1st and 10 at NEB 26- Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass incomplete.

2nd and 10 at NEB 26- Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass complete to Sam Burtch for 15 yards to the Neb 41 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at NEB 41- Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass incomplete to Quincy Enunwa.

2nd and 10 at NEB 41- Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass incomplete to Kenny Bell.

3rd and 10 at NEB 41- Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass incomplete to Sam Burtch.

4th and 10 at NEB 41- Sam Foltz punt for 26 yards, downed at the MchSt 33.

• Fire 1

Nick- thanks for the statistical backup to the point I was making (and that you have also made). +1.

It seems some people just won't accept any criticism of the timing of play selection of this staff. Sure, I like to establish the run but I am not opposed in the least to throwing the ball and mixing it up to keep defenses off balance. The issue is giving up on the run when there is no need and it is working, or going strictly pass with the wrong personnel, or having great success with a few things but still going totally away from them. That's what drives me nuts with Beck.

• Fire 2

Nick- thanks for the statistical backup to the point I was making (and that you have also made). +1.

It seems some people just won't accept any criticism of the timing of play selection of this staff. Sure, I like to establish the run but I am not opposed in the least to throwing the ball and mixing it up to keep defenses off balance. The issue is giving up on the run when there is no need and it is working, or going strictly pass with the wrong personnel, or having great success with a few things but still going totally away from them. That's what drives me nuts with Beck.

Yep, and with the Safeties playing so close (on average 5-8ft from LOS), we had little to no play action. We weren't forcing the Safeties to bite on anything. TA drops back, they drop back. They played close almost the WHOLE game. When RKIII went in, they weren't as close. They knew we were going to pass.

The 3 games we went away from what was working, was the UCLA, Minnesota and MSU game. Imagine that, our 3 losses too.

• Fire 2
Just to be clear, my excitement and optimism lasts exactly one more season.

I could buy into that. I could see a few assistants maybe being replaced and Bo sticking around. That might help. At the same time though, disruption in assistant coaches could do as much damage as good. Continuity is one of the most important things in college football IMO. Except of course, when continuity means 9 wins is maximum potential.

Yeah. You're right. I'm still not buying it. Nick's stats do absolutely nothing to demonstrate pass happiness. Some of the passes worked great. Some didn't. Same goes for the runs. Things that were going great in the first half don't always work as great in the second half. Defenses adjust. As another poster mentions, you guys seem to forget the three and outs when we run the ball. That's no reason to abandon the run. And of course, we don't. We only had 60 plays on Saturday, so that didn't help.

Beck is operating one of the best rushing offenses in the country. Sometimes he will see a defense playing soft in the middle, anticipating the run, and the possibility to exploit it for 15 - 20 yards. Taking three shots at 15 yards isn't necessarily pass happy at that point. We've got great receivers. They make as many big plays as Abdullah. And as long as we're not down by two touchdowns in the fourth quarter, Beck will go back to Abdullah. Increasingly that includes passes to Abdullah slipping out of the backfield. That's just smart football.

We're lucky to have Beck. Frankly we were lucky to have Watson, but I'll break down the sh*t sandwich Watson was handed another day.

Yep, and with the Safeties playing so close (on average 5-8ft from LOS), we had little to no play action. We weren't forcing the Safeties to bite on anything. TA drops back, they drop back. They played close almost the WHOLE game. When RKIII went in, they weren't as close. They knew we were going to pass.

The 3 games we went away from what was working, was the UCLA, Minnesota and MSU game. Imagine that, our 3 losses too.

That's some serious reverse engineering, chief. Not much understanding of how football works.

The thing that wasn't working in those games is that we were losing.

Do you honestly think we were 10 more Imani Cross carries away from winning those games?

Spot on sir. There seems to be those who think we need not pass at all. Like you stated, it is necessary, but not until the ground game is proven in effective. I have yet to see anyone prove that yet. We have three capable backs, though, please Beck stick to AA on the option.

I agree we have to utilize the passing game but what I don't understand is the way we are approaching it. Does a bootleg, or a short TE out route, or a simple HB screen pass not exist in Becks playbook. For the love of God? Simple plays, yet effective. Take some pressure off our freshman QB.

• Fire 1

Nebraska @ 9:48 1st.

1st and 10 at NEB 9 Ameer Abdullah rush for 6 yards to the Neb 15

2nd and 4 at NEB 15 Ameer Abdullah rush for 2 yards to the Neb 17.

3rd and 2 at NEB 17 Ameer Abdullah rush for no gain to the Neb 17.

4th and 2 at NEB 17 Sam Foltz punt for 59 yards, downed at the MchSt 24

Nebraska @ 4:57 1st.

1st and 10 at NEB 25 Ameer Abdullah rush for 5 yards to the Neb 30.

2nd and 5 at NEB 30 Ameer Abdullah rush for 7 yards to the Neb 37 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at NEB 37 Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass complete to Sam Burtch for 26 yards to the MchSt 37 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at MSU 37 Tommy Armstrong Jr. rush for 5 yards to the MchSt 32.

2nd and 5 at MSU 32 Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass complete to Sam Burtch for 32 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.

Nebraska @ 3:32 2nd.

1st and 10 at NEB 7 Ameer Abdullah rush for 6 yards to the Neb 13.

2nd and 4 at NEB 13 Ameer Abdullah rush for 3 yards to the Neb 16.

3rd and 1 at NEB 16 Ameer Abdullah rush for 3 yards to the Neb 19 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at NEB 19 Imani Cross rush for 1 yard to the Neb 20.

2nd and 9 at NEB 20 Imani Cross rush for a loss of 2 yards to the Neb 18.

3rd and 11 at NEB 18 Tommy Armstrong Jr. rush for 4 yards, fumbled, forced by Shilique Calhoun, recovered by MchSt Isaiah Lewis at the Neb 22.

Just wanted to share these three drives. Whether it's a run, or pass some plays are going to work and others are not. The thing about this argument is people pretend that the running game is always working and going for 4-5 yards every play. That's not always the case and running the ball puts the offense in bad positions just as much as passing.