Are the expectations of fans the reason we're not where we want to be?

Simply put, do we as fans expect too much from this program? Should the 90's or Osborne era be the bar? Let's face it, we may never get back to being dominant consistently like the Alabama's or the Oregon's but maybe just maybe we can be competitive. There are some of us who expect just way too much. Championships every year, that kind of pressure is so intense on the coaches and players maybe its one reason why we fall flat in pivotal games? Are we to blame here? Sometimes as a fan, I gotta admit, I feel guilty putting these kids on a high pedestal expecting them to win every single game on the schedule each year.

A lot of us who have not played the game have no idea what a day in the life of a college football player is like but when reality hits for this team for me each year, it sucks. It really does. I question whether or not we will ever get to where we want to be as a program. Is it so hard to recruit kids to play for us? Will we ever have an identity again like we did before when we were known as a tough program? A team with guts that ran the ball at people and begged them to stop us? Maybe it's too much to ask for... but 9-4, 10-4 does get a bit old every year, does it not? One unexpected let down and a blowout loss is almost a guarantee every season for us and it's a pattern. I can hear the groans of Husker Nation getting louder and louder each year. Does Bo hear the groans yet? Maybe one day he will think of himself, his family and whether or not he can see himself in Lincoln for the next 5 years. If he can, then I recommend a long, long look in the mirror... are these assistants who have yet to truly prove themselves worth more than his own career? Let's hope Bo isn't as stubborn as Bill Callahan was.

I'm not calling for Bo's head but I think some staff shake up is in order. It isn't the amount of losses each year but how we lose our games. I'm not looking back at the MSU game looking for a morale boost. We got whupped plain and simple. 41 points allowed to an inept MSU offense says so. Blame the TO's all you want but it's the defense' job to stop that god awful offense from scoring. Purdue held them to 14 POINTS... again 14 lousy points. When will the day come when we stop making teams look like world beaters? When will we have a punishing identity again? An analogy would be Superman: The Movie Christopher Reeve was surrounded by an all-star cast. The same can be said for Christian Bale in the Batman films. Bo should really look into surrounding himself with proven assistant's who have winning track records and then maybe our team can finally make the jump.

An analogy would be Superman: The Movie Christopher Reeve was surrounded by an all-star cast. The same can be said for Christian Bale in the Batman films.

I think I would've gone with the Big Lebowski instead. I mean, in Lebowski every single character is a home run.

I would like to think that fan expectations are the reason we haven't turned into Minnesota.

With the year they're having, I think their expectation bar will go up a bit. Ours seems to be so high we can't even come close. The closest we've ever gotten was 1 single second to winning a championship. We're almost 15 years from our last one. In some sports, teams have gone 30+ years without some kind of championship. We're halfway there already.

It is largely believed that our 90s run will probably never happen again for 95% of CFB teams.

I can agree with that however I still think we can be competitive but seems to me there are still a lot of people who reference Osborne + 90's teams who ran the ball and had a nasty defense. They had an identity unlike this team where our identity is so...

jekyllandhyde.jpg

It is largely believed that our 90s run will probably never happen again for 95% of CFB teams.

I can agree with that however I still think we can be competitive but seems to me there are still a lot of people who reference Osborne + 90's teams who ran the ball and had a nasty defense. They had an identity unlike this team where our identity is so...

jekyllandhyde.jpg

We can use the blueprint, but overall I just don't see us ever being like we were in the 90s

I would like to think that fan expectations are the reason we haven't turned into Minnesota.

With the year they're having, I think their expectation bar will go up a bit. Ours seems to be so high we can't even come close. The closest we've ever gotten was 1 single second to winning a championship. We're almost 15 years from our last one. In some sports, teams have gone 30+ years without some kind of championship. We're halfway there already.

Let me get this straight. I sounds like you're saying you'd rather have a program where an 8 win season is worthy of celebration versus one where an 8 win season causes concern.

No thanks.

jekyllandhyde.jpg

We can use the blueprint, but overall I just don't see us ever being like we were in the 90s

I don't think anybody expects results on par with 93-97

The question is misguided, because it's a self-fulfilling thing.

Are the expectations of fans the reason we're not where we want to be? Well, yes, because you expect something that doesn't exist right now. Not that our expectations actually impact the product on the field, but because "where we want to be" is defined by expectations.

If you expected 9 and 10 win seasons, then we would be where want to be. If you expect more than what you have, then you aren't where you want to be.

If we fans should be happy with lowered expectations, then the coaches and players should be happy with a lower level of facilities, salaries, and accommodations.

Find out what Minnesota spent this year on their program, their staffing, infrastructure, and salaries of their coaches and decrease that amount by 20%, (since they won and we lost). I believe that would square with anyone's sense of fairness.