XBox One and PlayStation 4 System Reviews

Nintendo is killing themselves. Lousy gimmicky machines when they should be focusing on their games. Nintendo is capable of getting back in the game but they refuse to go all in. They clearly dominate the handheld market because they target the younger audience for it. They're capable but unwilling to target the adult audience for whatever reason.

Nintendo has always been a quality brand. Their games are still top notch (most anyway). Their lousy systems have begged companies to make crap shovel ware focused on motion controlled crap. I believe if they would have continued the tradition of putting their seal on the quality titles and not allowing the junk games to see launch they could be doing better. Why I don't buy wii stuff...most of it's crap. Give me a real game.

I dunno...part of the reason Nintendo hasn't gone third party is because Sega went from AAA to Meh almost overnight once the Dreamcast went tits up, sad to say. They don't want to follow in their footsteps...a proverbial man without a country, so to speak.

And funny thing about Nintendo's Seal of Approval--it was all crap. The reason there were so many great games in the NES days is that Nintendo strictly controlled the number of third party games a producer could release--for example, the original Metal Gear was released by 'Ultra', which was a production company made up by Konami, just so they could skirt the six games/publisher/year rule (if I remember the number correctly).

A good read on the early days of Nintendo is the book 'Game Over'. Depending on the print, it will end with the advent of the N64, GameCube, or Wii, but the info about the early and halcyon days of Nintendo is intact and interesting.

Sega's issues have little to do with the move from making consoles to being a publisher, and more a meta problem with the whole state of Japanese game development and the differences between the Japanese game consumer and the Western game consumer. Very few Japanese developed games get good reviews here, and the most popular games are very, very different also. And devs like Sega, can't seem to bridge the gap.

Well Sega never had much of a first-party game base to begin with. They had Sonic and that's about it. Virtua Fighter maybe. I mean their next best franchise is probably Total War or Football Manager. (Super Monkey Ball was pretty fun!) I don't think it was inherently a Japanese culture/consumer thing as much as it was the fact that they just don't have the big-name brands that Nintendo does. Nintendo has Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Fire Emblem (Japan), Pokemon, Pikmin, Animal Crossing...hell, throw in stuff like Wario, F-Zero if you want...not to mention hugely successful series that are based on their major franchises such as Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Mario Party, Super Smash Bros....just purely on branding and name recognition Nintendo is miles and miles ahead of anywhere Sega ever was in the software department, not to mention pure product quality.

Nintendo's marketing and business plan though...I highly disagree with.

Lol hope none of you Xbox fanboys got a brick of a system.

Fans turning to YouTube and blogs in concern of their consoles not allowing them to do the mandatory day one update (can't update the system it's basically a $500 brick), others are providing pictures of their brand new scratched filled console, Xbox failing to read brand new game discs while making a loud obnoxious noise and others are saying that while downloading the game to the HDD that the download speeds are slow or won't even go passed 0%.

Fans turning to YouTube and blogs in concern of their consoles not allowing them to do the mandatory day one update (can't update the system it's basically a $500 brick), others are providing pictures of their brand new scratched filled console, Xbox failing to read brand new game discs while making a loud obnoxious noise and others are saying that while downloading the game to the HDD that the download speeds are slow or won't even go passed 0%.

Haven't actually heard anything about this (not that I pay super close attention) - weird that IGN had a ton of front page stuff about Sony's problems but I haven't seen anything about these.

And you choose to ignore the PS4's that simply wouldn't work? It happens at every console launch. Get off your box and call it like it is, fanboy.

And you choose to ignore the PS4's that simply wouldn't work? It happens at every console launch. Get off your box and call it like it is, fanboy.

It's obvious that PS4 > Xbox One. Duh....herp derpity herp derp da derpity derp derp herp

:sarcasm

It's obvious that PS4 > Xbox One. Duh....herp derpity herp derp da derpity derp derp herp

No sh#t it happens at every launch but I guess it's ok for only you (Lyons) to point out Sonys fails on launch instead of Xbox

Herp derp da derp herp

Haven't actually heard anything about this (not that I pay super close attention) - weird that IGN had a ton of front page stuff about Sony's problems but I haven't seen anything about these.

IGN has been labeled Xbox fanboys for awhile now....Google is your friend

IGN has been labeled Xbox fanboys for awhile now....Google is your friend

...please.

I just googled 'IGN xbox bias' and 'IGN playstation bias' and both are filled with the same number of results from idiotic blogs and messageboard posts arguing the same tired elementary rhetoric both directions.

No sh#t it happens at every launch but I guess it's ok for only you (Lyons) to point out Sonys fails on launch instead of Xbox

Herp derp da derp herp

Lol all I said was make sure you point out both. I obviously acknowledged the fact that you already stated the xbox flaws so why would I restate them? Your post makes no sense.

You think there's a bias at ign for God's sake, dude, who cares.

Herp derp da derp herp

Lol all I said was make sure you point out both. I obviously acknowledged the fact that you already stated the xbox flaws so why would I restate them? Your post makes no sense.

You think there's a bias at ign for God's sake, dude, who cares.

Who said that I cared about IGN's biased toward the Xbox? I was merely pointing out some insight and some discussions other gamers have expressed toward IGN. I don't think any gaming website is biased to any console. I could careless about IGN, I stopped visiting that site years ago.

I am a Sony fanboy and have been since 95 when I got my first Playstation on Christmas.