XBox One and PlayStation 4 System Reviews

Tschu, Landlord, thanks. Been herpy and derpy in here as of late.

I haven't purchased the consoles, but I've played PS4 quite a bit with a group of four CoD fanatics that switched over from the Xbox purely because of price tag (PS4 is $399, XBOne is $499).

CoD looked great (almost as good as the PC version), and the limitations with it were story 6 hour SP campaign) and design based (multiplayer is broken due to spawn problems).

Knack was universally panned by the group--it looked great, but it was really boring and repetitive. The kids they bought it for didn't care for it either...but this group is also a bunch of Nintendo fans to boot, so this may be a case of just having unreasonably high expectations?

Killzone was a mixed bag--two liked, two didn't. I'm glad to say that the controls were finally good (and didn't feel like you were controlling a wacky waving inflatable tube on roller skates like in 2 or 3), graphics were great, but the game was alright. If you've played the other Killzones, you'll like it.

As for the UI on the console, I don't care for the changes they made to the XMB interface...but I did not care for it on the PS3--if you're like me and you have ~30 or do digital games, it's annoying how they've set up browsing. Custom folders would make the XMB tolerable IMO...but I didn't see where that was an option.

Frankly, the PS4 is a nice piece of capable kit, and I don't think people will be disappointed with it. The reviews above are rather spot on in that it's a capable machine, and it delivers more or less the same experience as last gen, but with noticeable hardware improvements.

I've played battlefield on PS4 for a very limited amount of time. It was pretty awesome. I wont say that I was blown away visually, which, for some reason I thought I would be based on new console launches. But the jump from last gen to new gen wasnt as big as years past. There is a lot of potential with this gen though.

That could also be from the capabilities of the game or the tv you were playing. I think the new consoles graphic capability is ahead of games

I've played battlefield on PS4 for a very limited amount of time. It was pretty awesome. I wont say that I was blown away visually, which, for some reason I thought I would be based on new console launches. But the jump from last gen to new gen wasnt as big as years past. There is a lot of potential with this gen though.

That could also be from the capabilities of the game or the tv you were playing. I think the new consoles graphic capability is ahead of games

That's where dev support through codecs and kits/dev tools becomes such a big deal--we're seeing what only a three month difference in having tools has between Sony and Microsoft.

It's right now why Microsoft can do 1080p/60FPS (messed around w/Forza 5 today--looks and plays gorgeously) but their third party partners can't--lack of optimization tools. Though this is being fixed rather soon, if it hasn't already been addressed...though they're always in a constant state of improvement.

I've been playing on my PS4 for over a week now and it loads fast and performs well, so overall I'm happy.

Switching from in game to the Playstation menu is flawless and fast with little lag or hiccups. The new Playstation app allows you to message your friends when they're on using your phone and you can also check to see who's all on.

The new controller feels a lot better in my hands and the analog sticks feel a lot better. I'm still getting used to the L2/aim and R2/shoot buttons but the L2/R2 buttons feel better than previous Playstation controllers.

My only two gripes is first Battlefield 4 servers are dog crap right now can't even complete a game or two without losing connection with the server or getting an error message and the other gripe is sometimes when I go to hit the share button on the controller, I instead hit the touchpad clicker.

For the casual gamer and someone who is not very tech savy as far as understanding graphics cards and all that…which one of these systems is better? I usually play the Madden, FIFA, COD and NBA games if that helps.

There's not much difference between the third party games (e.g. Madden, FIFA, CoD, Battlefield 4) for either system...and frankly, there probably won't ever be this gen, considering how close the systems are to each other, spec-wise.

The difference is going to be:

-first-party titles (games that Sony or Microsoft publish and/or develop themselves)

-system interface and amenities (e.g. Video applications, streaming services, the basic user interface of the console itself)

Each system has pros and cons that you'll need to research. For example, Microsoft appears to have the upper hand in exclusive titles currently: Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Ryse, Zoo Tycoon (Unexpectedly...), Killer Instinct, and Titanfall in March.

Sony has Killzone, Resogun (which many say is the best PS4 exclusive launch title...), and a new Infamous game in March.

And talk it out with your friends to find out what they are playing--hell, I was at Valentino's last night and overheard a group of guys weighing pros and cons, figuring out what console they were going to all get so they could play together.