XBox One and PlayStation 4 System Reviews

Anybody catch the Xbox press briefing this morning? Nothing but games were announced which, as a gamer, is all I really want to see.

Yes, very good E3 for them and Nintendo, of all companies, and easily the 'winners' of E3, if you will. The Halo "Master Chief Collection" is great, and a good idea to springboard anyone not familiar into Halo 5 next year. And it was good to hear that Gears is being worked on, and that devs like Bungie have closed the 'gap' between consoles with the new dev kit codecs/tools and making the Kinect optional.

Nintendo had some very good stuff on display, and the Zelda trailer done in real time looks gorgeous, and the Mario Maker game/tool could be their next Mario Paint. Now, if they'd just make with the F-Zero, Metroid, Kid Icarus, instead of Captain Toad Treasure Hunter...but I'm sure that will be for next year. Or maybe even later this year in Europe (Gamescom).

Honestly from a completely unbiased point of view, all three companies had great conferences. Games is what it was all about, and games is what we got. Halo bundle was sweet. Anything with Uncharted is going to look and feel amazing, MGS is just that. Solid. Good indie games from both sides there. Nintendo had a lot of their big names shown up this e3 with Zelda looking fanastic. IMO while their 1st party stuff always looks badass, they still need to get more 3rd party support or they won't catch up stateside as most casual homes are content with keeping their wii's from last gen with what's out.

Honestly from a completely unbiased point of view, all three companies had great conferences. Games is what it was all about, and games is what we got. Halo bundle was sweet. Anything with Uncharted is going to look and feel amazing, MGS is just that. Solid. Good indie games from both sides there. Nintendo had a lot of their big names shown up this e3 with Zelda looking fanastic. IMO while their 1st party stuff always looks badass, they still need to get more 3rd party support or they won't catch up stateside as most casual homes are content with keeping their wii's from last gen with what's out.

Ubisoft stated they are sitting on complete WiiU games waiting for Nintendo to hit a sales number before they release, and games like Watch Dogs are still en route. Plus, one of the best games on that system (Bayonetta 2) is a second-party title (third party dev, first party funding).

Nintendo doesn't really need to 'catch up' to Microsoft or Sony to be successful--they're playing a different game as it were, akin to Apple vs. Android in the smart phone business.

As for Uncharted, just know that they lost key people, including the woman that was the 'showrunner', if you will, for the franchise. I'm sure Uncharted 4 will look great, but folks weren't just into that series for eyecandy.

And I do like Nintendo's discussion that both 2D and 3D Metroid titles are in development. Something tells me Nintendo will have tricks up their sleeve for Gamescom later on...

Ubisoft stated they are sitting on complete WiiU games waiting for Nintendo to hit a sales number before they release, and games like Watch Dogs are still en route. Plus, one of the best games on that system (Bayonetta 2) is a second-party title (third party dev, first party funding).

Nintendo doesn't really need to 'catch up' to Microsoft or Sony to be successful--they're playing a different game as it were, akin to Apple vs. Android in the smart phone business.

As for Uncharted, just know that they lost key people, including the woman that was the 'showrunner', if you will, for the franchise. I'm sure Uncharted 4 will look great, but folks weren't just into that series for eyecandy.

And I do like Nintendo's discussion that both 2D and 3D Metroid titles are in development. Something tells me Nintendo will have tricks up their sleeve for Gamescom later on...

The same thing happened when bungie left Halo, (Destiny alpha is amazing btw) and Microsoft trusted 143? studios with their biggest IP. Same with Naughty Dog. That company is bigger than one person. The game will be great. What I was most disappointed in was the lack of a Fallout 4 trailer, as any Bethesda fan should have been . It's been 5 years since New Vegas and 7 since their own Fallout 3. Todd Howard said they're working on it and it's going well but tbh it doesn't take much to spin a computer rendered trailer with some fallout music, a bobblehead, and a power armor suit with the game saying coming 2015 etc.

As for Nintendo, I don't really care to much. I'm not their core audience and I understand that. I'm an fps/rpg/sports guy where only games like Zelda intrigue me. If what they're doing is working for them (sales aren't in their favor atm) then by all means cater to who you're aiming at.

A lot of PC gamers are upset that Bloodborne is only on PS4 and not available for PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G203e1HhixY

It will be soon enough. Nothing is truly exclusive unless it's a first-party title.

May have to wait a year or so, but I'm sure it will happen. They've built a great fanbase on the PC with Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Hell, I think even Titanfall is going to be on the PS4 at some point--probably why we didn't see anything re: TitanFall 2 at E3--EA is going to find a way to get Titanfall on the PS4 before they put 2 out there.

A lot of PC gamers are upset that Bloodborne is only on PS4 and not available for PC

It will be soon enough. Nothing is truly exclusive unless it's a first-party title.

May have to wait a year or so, but I'm sure it will happen. They've built a great fanbase on the PC with Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Hell, I think even Titanfall is going to be on the PS4 at some point--probably why we didn't see anything re: TitanFall 2 at E3--EA is going to find a way to get Titanfall on the PS4 before they put 2 out there.

It's being bankrolled by Sony, so, I doubt it ends up on PC.

Microsoft bankrolled Mass Effect, and we see how that ended up.

Microsoft paid for an exclusivity window, not the whole project.

• Fire 1

Microsoft paid for an exclusivity window, not the whole project.

No, it was exclusive to Microsoft until EA bought BioWare, and the EA wrote Microsoft a check to get out of the deal and go multi-platform--that's when EA more or less said ME would be an ongoing IP, and not simply a trilogy as BioWare had planned to do.

Don't forget, Microsoft was the publisher for the title on the 360--that's because it was originally a PC/360 exclusive title. Same thing as Halo and Gears, except that Microsoft has since locked those down when the original developers (Bungie and Epic, respectively) moved on to multi-platform development (Bungie) and focused on Unreal Engine work (Epic).