Jameis Winston Case just got interesting...

AgMarauder04

The timing that this came out at always intrigues me.

I am not saying this young lady is making it up. I have no idea, and not accusing her of lying or trying for attention.

But you gotta wonder her true motive. Lets be honest, it isnt the truth. It is either payback or a payday... simple as that.

Not taking JW side... but I just always wonder when these stories decide to come out...

Assuming for a second that her accusations are actually true:

You can hardly blame someone, after going through something so vile and horrendous, for being bitter, and as such, for that bitterness to increase in direct variation with the success and triumph of the person that wronged you. Like you said, I'm not saying this is how it is, but I'm saying it's totally feasible - she doesn't necessarily have to be after money. She very easily could just be a scarred woman haunted by a horrible thing that happened to her.

Either way, this breaks my heart. Whatever the actual true series of events, for her to be warned/encouraged against seeking justice tells you all you need to know about rape culture in the United States and makes me sick to my stomach.

• Fire 1

I am not saying this young lady is making it up. I have no idea, and not accusing her of lying or trying for attention.

But you gotta wonder her true motive. Lets be honest, it isnt the truth. It is either payback or a payday... simple as that.

Not taking JW side... but I just always wonder when these stories decide to come out...

You can hardly blame someone, after going through something so vile and horrendous, for being bitter, and as such, for that bitterness to increase in direct variation with the success and triumph of the person that wronged you. Like you said, I'm not saying this is how it is, but I'm saying it's totally feasible - she doesn't necessarily have to be after money. She very easily could just be a scarred woman haunted by a horrible thing that happened to her.

Either way, this breaks my heart. Whatever the actual true series of events, for her to be warned/encouraged against seeking justice tells you all you need to know about culture in the United States and makes me sick to my stomach.

Fixed it for you. It's not just rape, it's just about everything. If you want to prosecute an athlete, good luck.

Either way, this breaks my heart. Whatever the actual true series of events, for her to be warned/encouraged against seeking justice tells you all you need to know about rape culture in the United States and makes me sick to my stomach.

Hahaha. Got any other good buzz terms from Jezebel.com lately?

Well, no, since I just this second learned of its' existence, but I take it from your response (which seems just as typical as I'm sure you think mine is), that you don't think rape culture is a real thing that exists?

Boy I hope I'm wrong.

Well, no, since I just this second learned of its' existence, but I take it from your response (which seems just as typical as I'm sure you think mine is), that you don't think rape culture is a real thing that exists?

Boy I hope I'm wrong.

Why? Does something happen if you're wrong or did you just add that part for (typical) overly dramatic effect?

• Fire 1

Sorry, it doesn't. Back off to Jezebel you go!

It does. I'm not trying to be high and mighty here, and I'm also not looking at it gender specific. Rape culture exists, largely due to ignorance, and produces real victims that get blamed for what happened to them, feel unsafe about seeking help for it, and shamed and guilted as if it was their fault.

Examples of rape culture in America:

- Yale University Fraternity Chants "No Means Yes, Yes Means Anal" across campus

- "Boys will be boys" mentality, allowing society to excuse certain actions and thoughts with no responsibility because they can't help it.

- U.S. Representative claiming "legitimate" rapes don't result in pregnancy, implying that women pregnant from rape weren't actually raped and wanted it.

- Rape Sloth meme

- Literally at least three cases this year of women claiming to be raped and encouraged or warned against speaking out about it - feeling unsafe telling the truth and seeking justice and healing.

- Media focus on the Steubenville case that focused on the negative impact on the rapists - zero mention of the victim by several news outlets.

- Common movie plot centered entirely around men wanting to get girls drunk (lowering inhibition) so they can have sex with them (for their own pleasure). American Pie, Superbad, Euro Trip, etc.

- An 11 year old girl gangraped by 18 men had her clothing questioned and focused on by a New York Times reporter; "Residents in the neighborhood…. said she dressed older than her age, wearing makeup and fashions more appropriate to a woman in her 20s. She would hang out with teenage boys at a playground, some said."

- Articles like this, thinking that the solution to combat rape is to focus on what women should do to prevent it, instead of focusing on stopping rapists from committing it. Note that the author eventually admitted he was wrong, ignorant, misinformed, and apologized.

- The Season 5 premier of 30 Rock where Pete is talking about how he finally got to have sex with his wife - cutting to a clip of her sleeping and him raping her, followed by the explanation that he got to be rough because she was sleeping, implying ownership of his wife and a lack of need for consent.

- Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" song, currently on top of charts, comprised almost entirely of lyrics that match statements said by rapists to their victims.

- Along with that, the double standard of the MTV VMA performance that brought Miley Cyrus incessant shame and criticism for her actions and dress, but brought none to Robin Thicke for engaging with her, an older, married man.

- Bar at the University of Maryland using hand stamps that say "Shut Up & Take It"

- Perpetuation and illustration of the penis as a weapon (specifically firearm)

- Using rape as an illustrated scare tactic for other messages

- Saint Mary's University students chant condoning rape of minors video - “Y is for your sister, O is for oh so tight, U is for underage, N is for no consent, G is for grab that ass”

b7a74e1e311b6c56bf713e1fa9745dba.jpg

4294988cc79fb14e01a632c17f6e61f9.jpg

32fa1c96a82ff73f1a15846ba4b52791.jpg

ddbc2d295b8d3c9e81ccd4edc6d0bc0a.jpg

83fef59f826a7a01bb2a93de4eba92f8.jpg

97d4ebe0034247b25f4f982a98bb2eb1.jpg

a9f87f11d5bc8635a6d8666331b67abe.jpg

ec173d552866f1975ebc677731eacfa6.jpg