What Did We Learn? - PSU Edition

Mavric

I learned Im really gonna miss playing Penn State. Really couldve built this into something special.

I learned the Big Ten doesnt offer free vision care to its officiating crew.

I learned Offsides during a game winning overtime field goal can be as subtle as a mouse fart.

I learned Ron Kellogg is not a dual threat QB but shas a ton of heart.

Good stuff here!

That Penn State is not above cranking up their audio system to add stadium noise during the play while our offense is on the field. Utter lack of class and sportsmanship. :facepalm:

The piped in music stops at around 17 seconds left on the play clock at Memorial Stadium. I noticed other teams doing it on TV broadcasts, with many of the same songs.

Remember back in the day, a Kansas St quarterback complained to the ref that the crowd was too loud, and we got flagged for a 5 yard penalty? Those were the days!

That our coaches get the team prepared for many different situations:

It didn’t end until Pat Smith’s 42-yard field goal split the uprights to give the Huskers (8-3, 5-2 in the Big Ten) the win.

But there was so much that led up to that field goal.

“You can’t write a story like this,” Garrison said. “This is like the ‘Mighty Ducks.’ This is one of those movies you watch and think, ‘There’s no way.’ It’s our guys. The amount of heart they have and how they love playing for Coach Bo (Pelini), it’s unbelievable. Guys don’t ever look at me twice when I ask them to do something and it’s carrying over to games. It’s pretty special.”

Like when sophomore right tackle Zach Sterup was asked to take a few snaps this week at left tackle, a position he had never played before. Or when redshirt defensive tackle Vincent Valentine was asked to practice as an offensive lineman on field goal attempts.

Garrison didn’t think he would need either player to perform those tasks, but when senior tackle Brent Qvale went out with an injury, he called on Sterup to play left tackle and later — on the game-winning field goal — on Valentine to block up front.

Senior lineman Andrew Rodriguez also played two positions on Saturday. He started at right guard, but later moved to right tackle when he was needed there.

I really like that Sterup lineman. For being suddenly thrown in because of injury default, he's stepped in and done a nice job. He doesn't have to be an all-American, just hold his own. Really rooting for him.

I think Sterup is going to be our next All-American though. He has really matured, and still has another 20 pounds or so to go, according to Garrison. And with his feet-he's very athletic and agile. Was/is actually a better basketball player than football-and height, I'm assuming he's gonna take over that left tackle spot and never look back.