Thoughts on Pelini and the State of the Program

Ric Flair

1. Expectations for Pelini are extreme and unfair...we're holding him to a standard in his first 6 years that TO set in his last 5 years here
  2. TO had a full cupboard when he took over, barely any coaching change, and 10 years with the program when he took over...Pelini didn't. Growing pains happen...yet people want the same situation that happened when TO

I don't get how expectations are unfair? It's really not unfair to expect them to be fighting to be in the top 15 with one or two conf championships after six years. I don't think any of is on here are expecting national championships, we just want to be relevant and to be fighting to be in the top 15 vs struggling to stay in the top 25. That isn't unfair at all, I would actually say that is extremely realistic!

Bo also DID NOT inherent a bare cupboard, that's crazy talk, look at how much NFL talent he inherited especially on the D side if the ball, all he really inherited that was bare was the QB situation.

1. Expectations for Pelini are extreme and unfair...we're holding him to a standard in his first 6 years that TO set in his last 5 years here
  2. TO had a full cupboard when he took over, barely any coaching change, and 10 years with the program when he took over...Pelini didn't. Growing pains happen...yet people want the same situation that happened when TO

I don't get how expectations are unfair? It's really not unfair to expect them to be fighting to be in the top 15 with one or two conf championships after six years. I don't think any of is on here are expecting national championships, we just want to be relevant and to be fighting to be in the top 15 vs struggling to stay in the top 25. That isn't unfair at all, I would actually say that is extremely realistic!

Bo also DID NOT inherent a bare cupboard, that's crazy talk, look at how much NFL talent he inherited especially on the D side if the ball, all he really inherited that was bare was the QB situation.

Read the article. It addresses your cupboard bare crazy talk notion above. It also addresses your question about how you don't get that expectations are unfair.

TO had 10 years before he was in the Nat. Title hunt in 1982 after inheriting a bunch of national championship talent from 70-71 teams for his first year in 1973. He also had a stretch of 7 bowl game losses in the 1980's as well as a bunch of losses vs. our main rival in Oklahoma. Talk was rampant about him not being able to 'win the big one'. Then in the 1990's he pulled out 60-3 over 5 years.

That set the bar.

Now we're holding Pelini's first 6 years in which he had to setup the walk on program, reestablish recruiting inroads to new states and areas, redesign his defense, retool his offense, switch out numerous coaches as assistants left, and scout all new programs to defend and try to score against. We're holding these 6 years to the standard that was set in Osbornes last 5 years of a 25 year career.

Extreme and unfair.

TO had 10 years of highly ranked teams too. Would people be complaining if we were sitting at #10-15 right now? Probably not. And TO's last 5 years was what...60-3? Are you really so delusional as to think that is the expectation we have for Pelini? Find me 1 person that expects that...for any team, Alabama included, I challenge you.

Bottom line, our expectations are no more or no less than the same expectations the players and coaches place upon the program. If they have those expectations then it's only natural the fans should share similar expectations.

I don't think Pelini should be fired. Every year I become less and less impressed by the excuses as to why we continue to underachieve, and I desperately hope we're not having these same conversations this time next season. But if I was Eichorst's shoes I wouldn't can him right now, unless there's something going on we're not privy to or there's something bigger and better waiting in the wings.

• Fire 1

My thought on the state of the program:

We are just a couple of plays, players, assistant coaches, recruits away from doing something big. Right now the (injury riddled) offense is ranked 49th and the (very young) defense is at 47. I believe that is the most balanced Bo has had us during his time. To me that says he has things going the right way after where he had to start and then switching conferences.

I don't think Pelini should be fired. Every year I become less and less impressed by the excuses as to why we continue to underachieve, and I desperately hope we're not having these same conversations this time next season. But if I was Eichorst's shoes I wouldn't can him right now, unless there's something going on we're not privy to or there's something bigger and better waiting in the wings.

My thoughts as well, especially the bold.

Although if we do drop the Iowa game for a 4-loss regular season, I would probably be a lot more in favor of a coaching change than my current state of ambivalence.

This is an excellent summary.

My thoughts as well, especially the bold.

Although if we do drop the Iowa game for a 4-loss regular season, I would probably be a lot more in favor of a coaching change than my current state of ambivalence.

Admit it. The part you really agreed with was being Eichorst's shoes.

TO had 10 years of highly ranked teams too. Would people be complaining if we were sitting at #10-15 right now? Probably not. And TO's last 5 years was what...60-3? Are you really so delusional as to think that is the expectation we have for Pelini? Find me 1 person that expects that...for any team, Alabama included, I challenge you.

Bottom line, our expectations are no more or no less than the same expectations the players and coaches place upon the program. If they have those expectations then it's only natural the fans should share similar expectations.

Based on your replies, you haven't read that article at all.

haven't even looked at it. was just discussing your views posted here.

Anybody see this as an advertisement?

redwing.jpg

I don't think Pelini should be fired. Every year I become less and less impressed by the excuses as to why we continue to underachieve, and I desperately hope we're not having these same conversations this time next season. But if I were in Eichorst's shoes I wouldn't can him right now, unless there's something going on we're not privy to or there's something bigger and better waiting in the wings.

. . .

I might have to reevaluate this. The swipe at the ref and the general misconduct demonstrates his behavior is still a huge problem, and will almost certainly be one going forward.

Not a good look for Nebraska. Might be time to cut out that cancer before it spreads further.