Next Year's QB: Who Will it Be?

Tommie Armstrong looks like he has a higher ceiling than TMart did. Sure, he's not as flat out fast, but in between the random 90 yard TD runs, we all saw how useless flatout speed alone is on a football field. Tommie hits holes better, uses blocks better and has better instinct at the point of attack as a freshman than TMart ever did.

And Stanton pushing him should make them both better.

TOMMY, has never shown to be even close to the runner that Taylor was.

True, he doesn't curl up into a ball and fall onto the turf any time he's faced with a tackler. Very un-Taylor like.

• Fire 1

Tommie Armstrong looks like he has a higher ceiling than TMart did. Sure, he's not as flat out fast, but in between the random 90 yard TD runs, we all saw how useless flatout speed alone is on a football field. Tommie hits holes better, uses blocks better and has better instinct at the point of attack as a freshman than TMart ever did.

Tommy won't get constantly stuffed in the open field like Taylor was; conversely, he won't take it to the house like Taylor did.

It depends on the offense, I guess. If you want your QB to be explosive and hit game changing plays, Taylor is the better "runner".

If you want a fluid offense that stays on schedule, I think Tommy is the better runner in that situation.

Taylor is a better straight line runner - Tommy is a better football runner, IMO.

And I really hope we get a new S&C program. Tommy has lost so much speed since being here, it is crazy.

• Fire 3

True, he doesn't curl up into a ball and fall onto the turf any time he's faced with a tackler. Very un-Taylor like.

I'm convinced you have never watched a single down of Nebraska football now. Taylor put his heart on the line for this program, and if anything he was criticized for taking too many hits from tacklers. I wasn't the biggest fan of Taylor personally, but for you to basically call him out on something that isn't even true is an absolute joke. Besides half the time he didn't have to face a tackler since he was burning Wisconsin for a 70+ yard run, or Washington, or Michigan St, or UCLA, or Kansas St or....I think I've made my point

• Fire 2

Tommy won't get constantly stuffed in the open field like Taylor was; conversely, he won't take it to the house like Taylor did.

It depends on the offense, I guess. If you want your QB to be explosive and hit game changing plays, Taylor is the better "runner".

If you want a fluid offense that stays on schedule, I think Tommy is the better runner in that situation.

Taylor is a better straight line runner - Tommy is a better football runner, IMO.

And I really hope we get a new S&C program. Tommy has lost so much speed since being here, it is crazy.

Exactly, and as I was eluding to in my first post. Taylor is the better flat out speed, Armstrong is the better overall football player. I don't think flat out speed is very important at the quarterback position.

I'm convinced you have never watched a single down of Nebraska football now. Taylor put his heart on the line for this program, and if anything he was criticized for taking too many hits from tacklers. I wasn't the biggest fan of Taylor personally, but for you to basically call him out on something that isn't even true is an absolute joke. Besides half the time he didn't have to face a tackler since he was burning Wisconsin for a 70+ yard run, or Washington, or Michigan St, or UCLA, or Kansas St or....I think I've made my point

Lol, you're convinced I haven't watched any games? It didn't take 5 minutes for another person to come in and basically agree with me. I already said in my initial post that he took it to the house many times, which is all you seem to have said again here. Is this Casey Martinez? Seems like you're a little bit on a hair trigger. Put in a f'ing tampon and lets get realistic about our QB play.

Lol, you're convinced I haven't watched any games? It didn't take 5 minutes for another person to come in and basically agree with me. I already said in my initial post that he took it to the house many times, which is all you seem to have said again here. Is this Casey Martinez? Seems like you're a little bit on a hair trigger. Put in a f'ing tampon and lets get realistic about our QB play.

If by curling up when facing a defender you are talking about the moments that he faces too much pressure and gets sacked for a huge gain then I agree with you. However how I see your statement is that when he's past the line of scrimmage, and is one on one with a defender then Taylor curls up like a wuss and falls before him. Now if that's not what you meant, then we had a misunderstanding, but if it is then I still don't believe you've ever watched Taylor play.

If by curling up when facing a defender you are talking about the moments that he faces too much pressure and gets sacked for a huge gain then I agree with you. However how I see your statement is that when he's past the line of scrimmage, and is one on one with a defender then Taylor curls up like a wuss and falls before him. Now if that's not what you meant, then we had a misunderstanding, but if it is then I still don't believe you've ever watched Taylor play.

Are you kidding me dude? The fact that you called me out for not watching football is hilarious at this point. Watch any game outside of 2010 up to the Missouri game. That is all he does when met with a defender in space. He is good on occasion at seeing the field and making moves before any defender gets around him (as in the big run against Wisco B1G game last year), but once that defender is within 2 yards, he is crumpling up like a dying flower to avoid a hit. Now maybe that is how he is coached, to avoid injury, but there is no contesting that that is what he does.

Are you kidding me dude? The fact that you called me out for not watching football is hilarious at this point. Watch any game outside of 2010 up to the Missouri game. That is all he does when met with a defender in space. He is good on occasion at seeing the field and making moves before any defender gets around him (as in the big run against Wisco B1G game last year), but once that defender is within 2 yards, he is crumpling up like a dying flower to avoid a hit. Now maybe that is how he is coached, to avoid injury, but there is no contesting that that is what he does.

anchorman3.jpg

Whoever may win the starting job, I hope Pelini and staff gives garbage time minutes to 2nd and 3rd string when the season starts. I feel like one of the biggest regrets of the staff and martinez this past year is that we did not know what we had behind the guy because we never really threw in the back up for in game experience. If stanton or Armstrong is the guy then so be it, but we should avoid a situation like this past year where we don't quite know what we have in the back up... then again, if Stanton wins it I guess we have a good idea as to what TA can bring to the table...

love arguing with myself, think the past few weeks in conjunction with the booze has made me see both sides of the fence to every issue on this board haha

As compared to what? His HS football film? If so, that's not surprising. Please back your criticism up with objective numbers. Is his 40 yard dash decreased so much that it's "crazy?" Please back your criticism up with legitimate information, that is separate from your subjective opinion.

The level of competition since HS has been raised. Division 1 ball is a different level of athlete. TA might actually be faster than he was in HS, the issue is the speed on the D1 defenses he is currently facing.