Coaches & Media Criticism

Atbone95

Why is it that people are freaking out that Bo and other coaches answer to the media's criticism? I think Bo made a wonderful point in his presser yesterday. The sh#t reporters and even posters on here start is just ridiculous and, whether you want to ignore it or not, hurt the program. Why are Bo and his staff not allowed to answer to comments that are breaking down the team they've spent all year building? I just don't understand the rationale at all and I'd like some of you (there's plenty of you here, believe me) to explain it to me.

• Fire 2

Bo needs to focus on the things HE does that hurt the program

And focusing on those things means the exclusion of all others, right?

Give Bo credit, he is not afraid to man up and admit his faults. I don't remember a time he was out of place and failed to apologize for his actions. It doesn't excuse them, but he doesn't ignore them either.

Regardless. Derailing my attempt at a thread in the first post. Why can't Bo answer to the media criticism?

I just think he makes it into a bigger deal than it isand it kind of goes against his old "we need to worry about us" mantra

Until it gets so big that these kids can't even worry about themselves anymore. They show up to practice looking to see which coach is missing because the papers have been saying someone's getting fired for weeks.

And what does a situation like that do to recruiting? Kids don't want to walk into that. This Husker fanbase wants this team to do so well when we're f'ing destroying it from the inside out, and it's bullsh#t.

• Fire 1

It used to be the news, weather, and sports were covered in one hour, on one of three networks, every day. Half an hour of national news, half hour of local. Sports got maybe a minute or two on national news if it was the Super Bowl, World Series, or Kentucky Derby. Local news had maybe 7-10 minutes covering everything from Pro to local high schools. Unless you punched an opposing player on the sidelines like Woody Hayes did, fits of pique and displays of temper didn't make the cut as being newsworthy.

Now we have multiple channels going 24/7 just on sports. Anything, anyone does within a mile of a field or stadium or locker room can have ten minutes devoted to it, along with a bunch of talking heads giving it the "cornball brother" test or some such drivel. Same with a full section of newspaper devoted to a single college football game in this state.

Bo needs to focus on the things HE does that hurt the program

And focusing on those things means the exclusion of all others, right?

Give Bo credit, he is not afraid to man up and admit his faults. I don't remember a time he was out of place and failed to apologize for his actions. It doesn't excuse them, but he doesn't ignore them either.

Regardless. Derailing my attempt at a thread in the first post. Why can't Bo answer to the media criticism?

He should be able to. When false rumors about Bo's job status gets drummed up by individuals using social media, then reporters start perpetuating these rumors to create a narrative and attract an audience, it hurts this program, Bo's program. He has every right to smash that sh*t like he did and call them out on it. We, as fans, want to support this program and watch it continue to improve. Bo has work that needs to be done to make that happen. That does not just mean on the field. It seemed like during the off-season and early in the season (pre-tapegate), there were moments of real positive light for this program 1) Jack's run, 2) "The Program", 3) the Harlem shake video, 4) the cellphone prank, and, even, 5) the video announcing the alt uniforms. This is where Bo wanted to go with the program this season. He does not need all this drama and negativity dragging down what he is trying to build. ESPN has their cash cow, the SEC, and has always portrayed Bo and Nebraska with a negative light, but the local media needs to do better.

• Fire 2

I just think he makes it into a bigger deal than it isand it kind of goes against his old "we need to worry about us" mantra

Until it gets so big that these kids can't even worry about themselves anymore. They show up to practice looking to see which coach is missing because the papers have been saying someone's getting fired for weeks.

And what does a situation like that do to recruiting? Kids don't want to walk into that. This Husker fanbase wants this team to do so well when we're f'ing destroying it from the inside out, and it's bullsh#t.

Ok but this rumor wasn't really from the media. Facebook is not the media. I agree it's total BS and honestly I think the guy should legally be able to be hit with libel or slander (I'm not saying he is, I'm saying a person should be able to for starting something like that). About all I realky saw come from the media was the typical stuff you see everywhere that isn't a big deal Nd didn't result in having to address the team.

I saw the video clip of Bo before I was able to hear it due to my Son playing his drums in the next room..

Bo looked liked a cornered animal which I think we've all come to expect ...Is never good.

I ran downstairs to replay the clip half expecting the rumor about him quitting after the Iowa game to maybe be true..Which made me both a little sad and also relieved.

Bo has done a lot of the "right things" to hold on to this job...Graduate players...Visit Hospitals..Run a clean program...Win most of the games.

He's even improved on a lot of his character flaws like letting his emotions dictate his every move...Scolding players in public and somehow thinking that can undo whatever it is that just happened..ditto referees...But I don't think he'll ever be able to "outcoach" any competent coach no matter how many decades he's given.

I'm also at the age where "my team" winning it all isn't the most important thing in my life.

Bo needs to embrace the fans whether he wants to or not. Without the fans there is no football program.

I was ready for Bo to be gone but will get behind him if he shows even a little appreciation and ends the "us against them" mentality.

Seriously? Do you even read the sports or watch sports TV or come to a board and read the topics. Show a little appreciation, why. There are more negative articles, more news reports and certainly more social media (including message boards), from home state press than there are ones of support.