Definition of a Real Husker Fan

knapplc

Nah, you're making it more simple than it is. You have to think about who you're going to get. Sure, my question up there about current records is a bit loaded, and the list of guys better than that is tiny.

The risk is yet another coach like Pelini, mired in this same mess, five years from now. You've blown $7million buying out Pelini & payed who-knows-what to get the new guy, and here you are in 2018 doing it again.

Maybe I'm just more conservative than you here, but I'd like at least some semblance of certainty in the next hire. If we're going to have Pelini winning 8-10 games a year, that's better than Joe Schmoe maybe winning 8-10, but quite possibly missing a bowl game.

You made a good point. I wasn't taking finances into account. The buyout is a huge factor and a program can't go from coach to coach without burning through some cash. And, I have little doubt that the buyout is a huge factor in Eichorst's thought-process. In terms of off-the-field issues, Eichorst has all he needs and more to check that box for firing Pelini. On the field is skewed toward firing him in my opinion, but not by a huge margin when you take the "9 wins" into account and the youth/injury excuses. But the finances just don't add up.

But if that's the case, it's an unfortunate circumstance to be in if we are being effectively held financial hostage by a mediocre coach who, as you put it, compounds his mediocrity by acting like an "ass hat." I sometimes wonder if Eichorst doesn't look out his window at the new arenas and see them as the shackles that keep him bound to Pelini.

Not going to play that game.

"Nah, nah, nah; I'm not listening."

I actually responded to his point, I just refuse to be boxed into the issue as he framed it. You, on the other hand, have conspicuously shut up (and thankfully so) after I pointed out the objective shortcomings of your beloved.

You mean where you pointed out how after the Callahan debacle of two losing seasons out of four, Bo has made it to 3 conference championships and hasn't missed a bowl game, winning 2? (And I'm not ignoring the fact that he has a worse record against ranked teams than unranked teams . . . just like every other coach.)

WTF? Based on past performance, your beloved coach has a 33% chance of beating the ranked team that lines up against his. If you think that's status quo for a "good" coach, you're delusional. You want me to print out a certificate of our unranked finish to the 2013 season and send it to you for your playroom?

Whose to say there isnt a guy waiting in the wings that can take us to glory? By the same token whose to say Bo wont do just that next year? History I suppose but it would be rediculous to ignore what we have in youth/experience/ and talent/potential. Sure the turnovers and fundamentals are mind boggling and Id be lying if I said were gonna get those fixed to perfection.

The attitude problem Bo has doesnt bother me in the slightest. Its only a problem because were not winning 12 games a year. Had we won the 09/10/11 conference titles not many Husker fans would care. About his demeanor. Also we just landed the #1 JUCO DT because of Bo 's passion during the Iowa game. ESPN can suck a turd when it comes to painting their image of Bo. Not one sh#t was given when the Baylor AD called us a bunch of stupid corn shuckers because we left the Big 12.

It isn't unfair because it's not a binding conversation. Hujan can come up with any practical or hare-brained concept he wants in reply, and spend some time defending the position. Either way, neither he nor I (or anyone else partaking) is going to be "right," we're just going to have opinions.

Hujan has some inarguable, salient points. But that doesn't mean there isn't room for conversation around the practicality of removing the coach.

but are you not expecting specifics? i am sure those considerations arose, at least in general. i would have been plenty happy for bo to go, but i realize eichorst is probably making the smart play in keeping him, avoiding a buyout, and expecting at worst a similar year as this one. that is about how specific anyone could get.

or what about oregeron. we could have a nice conversation about his merits and issues. he was a mess at ole miss, but got his players to play inspired football at usc. he is a good recruiter (something of great importance in the upper midwest). so he has head coaching experience, something we should probably want in our next head coach. if he hires a couple good coordinators and mitigates attrition from the transition, we could have something special. but he might not be a risk worth taking. not a decision i would want to make.

again, you can say bo has under-performed and does not deserve another year as an isolated statement. then you could consider what to do next.

i guess 'unfair' is a poor choice of words, so maybe it is a futile conversation given the lack of information we have. and i know you could argue all of this is futile, but we have more information to go on with a conversation regarding bo's performance and our expectations.

Whose to say there isnt a guy waiting in the wings that can take us to glory? By the same token whose to say Bo wont do just that next year? History I suppose but it would be rediculous to ignore what we have in youth/experience/ and talent/potential. Sure the turnovers and fundamentals are mind boggling and Id be lying if I said were gonna get those fixed to perfection.

The attitude problem Bo has doesnt bother me in the slightest. Its only a problem because were not winning 12 games a year. Had we won the 09/10/11 conference titles not many Husker fans would care. About his demeanor. Also we just landed the #1 JUCO DT because of Bo 's passion during the Iowa game. ESPN can suck a turd when it comes to painting their image of Bo. Not one sh#t was given when the Baylor AD called us a bunch of stupid corn shuckers because we left the Big 12.

I like the first part of this post. There is no doubt that whichever route we take is a gamble. But to me the overriding factor is the buyout money. Combine that with what is a positive talent situation going into next year, I'm OK (just barely) with the gamble of keeping him. Unforunately, the gut feeling is still that next year will strongly resemble this one and then we are right back here having the same discussions.

• Fire 1

WTF? Based on past performance, your beloved coach has a 33% chance of beating the ranked team that lines up against his. If you think that's status quo for a "good" coach, you're delusional. You want me to print out a certificate of our unranked finish to the 2013 season and send it to you for your playroom?

You mad, bro?

I think the image thing comes into play when you look at issues like the penalty - our team consistently loses focus and lacks execution when faced with adversity. When Pelini's team got hit with a questionable call, he lost focus and cost the team even more. While I don't have a problem with his overall sideline demeanor, I think there's something to be said that this team mimics Pelini, and that it sometimes costs them.

Overall, I think this is what we signed up for with Pelini. He was a coach with no head coaching experience, so unless we had found a diamond in the rough, this was going to be a building process. It's taken longer than many of us wanted it to, but all we can do now is hope that he can fix it at this point. The only hires that make sense to me right now would be guys with proven track records and previous head coaching experience. I'm very reluctant to bring in another guy that is similarly qualified to Pelini and just cross fingers hoping for the best.

Given all the factors, I think the university made the right decision at this point in time. Who knows if they sent out feelers to see who'd be interested and who isn't. We can only work with what we know, and I don't think Pelini has punched his ticket out of town yet despite the fact that I'm disappointed with the way this team has performed over the last few years.

I like the first part of this post. There is no doubt that whichever route we take is a gamble. But to me the overriding factor is the buyout money. Combine that with what is a positive talent situation going into next year, I'm OK (just barely) with the gamble of keeping him. Unforunately, the gut feeling is still that next year will strongly resemble this one and then we are right back here having the same discussions.

Just curious..

If we never re-negotiate a new contract, Do we just part ways?

It would cost us probably much more recruiting wise, but just wondering.

I still want us to keep him, but sometimes wouldn't mind seeing him leave voluntarily .

As a youngster, I hated that Osborne would lose a couple of games a year,,Usually the last two too...But I usually was the first to defend him to others, because he ran a mostly clean program and seemed to have a lot of the same qualities as the folks I grew up around..We seemed to usually be ranked around #7, and probably the biggest difference from the coaches since..T.O. and his coaching staff seemed to be able to keep learning and adapting each year..Each second half..Each recruiting season..

Pelini has improved more than I thought he would or could...But I still want more.

There's some good coaches out there..(Todd Graham comes to mind at the moment..Seems to be turning around the local team to where there's people camping out tonight to buy up tickets to Saturday's Pac12 Championship game)...I thought was a stupid hire, but seems to be working well ...fast.