Riding the fence no more

Depends on how full your glass is. Mediocre implies average, and Pelini is not average by any but the most pessimistic of metrics. He's not winning conference titles, but not winning conference titles doesn't make a coach mediocre.

It's also reactionary - nobody was using this word after Northwestern or Penn State. If we win the bowl game the tide of emotion will swing again and "mediocre" will be shelved for a while - until the next loss.

I disagree. Nebraska is handed several wins per year on a platter. The spoils of being a "football factory" school, I suppose. 8-4 at Nebraska (particularly with the schedule we had this year) is very much mediocre.

Depends on how full your glass is. Mediocre implies average, and Pelini is not average by any but the most pessimistic of metrics. He's not winning conference titles, but not winning conference titles doesn't make a coach mediocre.

Fair enough, that makes sense in the literal meaning of the word. But I think everyone is using the word in the context of how it relates to Husker football.

By the numbers, he is has produced "above-average" numbers, but I don't think anyone here is satisfied with being "above average".

It's also reactionary - nobody was using this word after Northwestern or Penn State. If we win the bowl game the tide of emotion will swing again and "mediocre" will be shelved for a while - until the next loss.

I disagree. Nebraska is handed several wins per year on a platter. The spoils of being a "football factory" school, I suppose. 8-4 at Nebraska (particularly with the schedule we had this year) is very much mediocre.

Nebraska is handed no more wins on platters than any other school. We play comparable schedules to other schools. Again, not "mediocre."

me·di·o·cre

ˌmēdēˈōkər/

adjective

• 1. of only moderate quality; not very good.

i would say "not very good" is a pretty fair description.

When you throw out the tomato can games, you basically have 5 to 8 games against good competition. Including post season. Those are teams that are either similar, better, or slightly below the level of the Huskers talent. Pelini loses 4 of those every year. I think that's less than mediocre.

From the national title lubeless anal raping against Florida state to the being overmatched in the title game againstMiami in 2001, we played in 5 title games and were a win here or there from playing in a couple more. What program in the history of college footballs modern era can say that that is the standard they are compared to and are trying to return. Not gonna happen. And being a coach of a program who's fan base more or less expects to get there eventually is a battle most would pass on. What's enough. If we win one with Pelini would that buy him undying loyalty? Would it buy him a 6-6 season? Would it buy him a literal get out of jail free card for curb stomping an official? If you're a fan that won't be satisfied until we return to those days, then find something better to do with your time. Not happening. It's time for Pelini to move the boulder up the hill I get that. But the end goal shouldn't be anywhere near what we accomplished in the past.

me·di·o·cre

ˌmēdēˈōkər/

adjective

Why did you post this?

When you throw out the tomato can games, you basically have 5 to 8 games against good competition. Including post season. Those are teams that are either similar, better, or slightly below the level of the Huskers talent. Pelini loses 4 of those every year. I think that's less than mediocre.

Go look at the last six years and tell us what games were tomato can games and what games were "good competition." Then give us the W/L record for those games.

It's relative. What's mediocre by Nebraska standards might be a great season for a school that doesn't expect to compete for titles. There are schools for whom a Top 25 showing is amazing, and then there are schools where a 20-25 finish is just that for them, sub par.

To become a program that celebrates those finishes rather than one that considers them disappointing seasons is the 'slide to mediocrity' term that we are all tired of.

• Fire 2

I am not sure why I had to start a new topic but I just had to announce that I am not riding the fence on Bo anymore. I am totally behind him but in hopeful manner that he gets some different assistants in here.

I was watching a 2009 highlight film and I completely forget to realize that the coaching staff hasn't had a chance to have any sort of continuity.

Mike Ekeler gone

Marvin Sanders gone

Shawn Watson gone

Carl Pelini gone

How much has THIS been the issue?

So many people are calling for a staff shakeup now, you seem to think the opposite? Why?

I actually was one of those people but that was when I wanted to win NOW. Not wait another 2 years

I think that after how bad it was in 2007, Bo needed 4-5 years to turn it around. Wasn't that what people were prepared for? I feel like I remember at least on another board at the time most people thought that it would take 4-5 years to repair Nebraska after that 2007 debacle. Well we were under the impression that we would remain in the Big12 at the time. I don't think the conference change gets enough mention in the fact that we basically already did "Start over" in 2011. Its all new opponents to evaluate and re-evaluate, along with their coaching staffs. I know, they have to adjust to us too, but they don't have to do it week after week after week.

I had a conversation with my buddy a few months back that because of this Bo need's 8 or 9 years total...minimum. I think he deserves 2-3 more years. Minimum. Let him fix the problem.

Youth IS absolutely a huge issue as well. Yes alot of programs win with youth, but those programs sit in recruiting hotbeds. Their freshman are generally better than ours. What Nebraska needs is an actaully identity on offense rather than be "Multiple"...and monster DT's to allow Bo's scheme to work. You watch. Clinkscales and Valentine alone will make the defense way better next year.

• Fire 1

Go look at the last six years and tell us what games were tomato can games and what games were "good competition." Then give us the W/L record for those games.

The problem is, at the level we are playing at right now, all games are "good competition". I think this discussion has turned into a semantics issue right now.

That is sad if the buyout is the issue.. I don't think he should be fired, but I do want to see more with this young D-fence and that might start with a new DC or Bo running it and not through anybody his name on the product!

I thought Bo was running it? I thought it was his D? I still want someone to tell me what the change was mid-season. Did Bo take it over, or did JP take it over. Because it was always understood to be Bo's from day 1.

Honestly Chris? I think JP taking more of the reigns is a pretty reasonable explanation. I seriously think that with Bo having to take care of all the typical head coach duties, I dont think he was able to spend enough time properly preparing himself to call the plays on saturday. And we all know he was having a major suggestive hand in it, if not making the calls altogether. One thing that catches my eye over the past several weeks is I dont notice Bo studying the play sheet between every defensive snap. I seriously think Paps is either more involved, or has taken the reigns completely in terms of defensive playcalling. Just a thought.

This is kind of what I'm thinking too. Bo has never dialed up blitzes to that extreme. There for a few games we were blitzing on 1st and 3rd almost every series. That's not Bo. As much as it suprises me to say this, I no longer think JP needs to go. Maybe Bo's been holding him back all this time.

I do like the OWH's (maybe someone else) opinion that Bo needs to take over ST. Take some pressure off Els, and get Bo working w/ all the under the radar kids on a daily basis. That'll leave the D to JP and maybe Bo will quit meddling.

Did you edit it because one of the synonyms listed in your definition is "average," and that doesn't fit your intent? Because editing it doesn't change that fact. :D

i did :P i originally posted it because of the definition. and one of the synonyms was 'uninspired', which i found fitting. but, even though this is now just semantics, i think mediocre is pretty fitting. how many above average teams have we beaten? this year, we only beat two fbs schools with winning records. i would say we are maybe the 5th or 6th best team in the B1G. obviously last year was much better, but again, where are the signature wins?

i say we are mediocre because of our performance in respect to our potential.