An Offensive Identity

No one who has watched Michigan State and Florida State this season could possibly think Michigan State has the best defense in the country. And it's not even close.

Auburn is going to run the ball down the throat of the Noles. Everyone says Michigan St hasnt played anyone, well who has FSU played??

Clemson, Miami, Florida and Duke are probably among the best. But their closest game was against Boston College, who they beat by 14. They've rolled everyone else, often by 30-50 points. Clemson, who they beat by 37, is currently ranked #12.

No doubt FSU has played a fairly weak schedule, but they've done everything they can with it. And in my view they are clearly the best team in the country. I think Auburn will give them a good game, but Florida State will ultimately win by double digits.

Florida St reminds me of our 95 team. Experts picked Florida to win and our schedule wasn't that impressive also. Look how that turned out. I would be very surprised if Auburn kept this game close. Auburn's defense has consistently given up points can't say the same about Florida St. defense.

Iowa had 281 yards of offense.

Northwestern had 326.

I guess it depends on how you define "shut down."

Maybe you can define NW as being shut down but I did own us. When I say shutdown I am thinking 150 or less total yards.. Some thing how we did Michigan.

For comparison's sake, by that "shut down" definition, the 2009 Suhfense only shut down one team: Arizona in the Holiday bowl. No other team had less than 200 yards of offense, and most had as many as Iowa.

Yardage probably isn't the best metric by which to measure shutting an opponent down. There probably isn't a great universal metric.

Horrifyingly, as I looked through the 2009 game stats I glanced at the CCG against Texas.

We ran 55 plays for 106 total yards of offense that game. Even having watched that game live, and a couple of times since, it's mind-boggling how ineffective that offense was.

Northwestern had 326.

Maybe you can define NW as being shut down but I did own us. When I say shutdown I am thinking 150 or less total yards.. Some thing how we did Michigan.

For comparison's sake, by that "shut down" definition, the 2009 Suhfense only shut down one team: Arizona in the Holiday bowl. No other team had less than 200 yards of offense, and most had as many as Iowa.

Yardage probably isn't the best metric by which to measure shutting an opponent down. There probably isn't a great universal metric.

Horrifyingly, as I looked through the 2009 game stats I glanced at the CCG against Texas.

We ran 55 plays for 106 total yards of offense that game. Even having watched that game live, and a couple of times since, it's mind-boggling how ineffective that offense was.

Yea they shut us down lol..

Does that make them the best defense in the nation?

Where did I say best in the nation? I said it was better than ours. Which is pretty much just fact, by any metric you want to judge it by.

The discussion was about Michigan St having the best defense in the country. It was not about whether or not they were better than ours, and it literally had nothing to do with the caliber of our D. You involved our defense. Again, does that make them the best defense in the nation? That they did just enough against our 2nd string offense?

Bottom line. The ONLY 2 offensive units they faced this year with even the resemblance of a pulse gained yards and scored points on them. Are they a good defense? Yes. Are they a great defense? I would say yes. Are they elite? Like, 2009 Suhfense elite? No. Their prestige is driven by skewed statistics against poor to bad offenses. That is fact. Not to mention, their prowess really took hold when they completely shut down Michigan. Wow. So did we. As well as Iowa, and Northwestern. As it turned out, Michigans offense was just as poor as the rest.

Um did we shut down Iowa? Northwestern?

Yeah. That's not worded very well. I meant Michigan St shut down Iowa and Northwestern, adding to the fact the my point pertains in no way to the caliber of Nebraska's defense.

Northwestern had 326.

Yea they shut us down lol..

And what really funny is, with minutes left and a 3rd and long, it was that horrible and overwhelmed offense that completed a 20 yard pass play, took the lead, and set up our once-in-a-generation type defense for failure.

No one who has watched Michigan State and Florida State this season could possibly think Michigan State has the best defense in the country. And it's not even close.

Auburn is going to run the ball down the throat of the Noles. Everyone says Michigan St hasnt played anyone, well who has FSU played??

Clemson, Miami, Florida and Duke are probably among the best. But their closest game was against Boston College, who they beat by 14. They've rolled everyone else, often by 30-50 points. Clemson, who they beat by 37, is currently ranked #12.

No doubt FSU has played a fairly weak schedule, but they've done everything they can with it. And in my view they are clearly the best team in the country. I think Auburn will give them a good game, but Florida State will ultimately win by double digits.

Florida St reminds me of our 95 team. Experts picked Florida to win and our schedule wasn't that impressive also. Look how that turned out. I would be very surprised if Auburn kept this game close. Auburn's defense has consistently given up points can't say the same about Florida St. defense.

That's an interesting comparison. The striking thing to me about both teams is the overwhelming amount of speed and athleticism they could put on the field. Auburn's running game causes massive headaches for its opponents. But Florida State matches up very well in my opinion because their defense has so much speed. No one can stop Auburn, but Florida State's defense will be able to slow them down. And as you mentioned, I think Auburn's defense will struggle against Florida State, especially in the passing game. FSU has an almost embarrassing collection of big, fast and talented receivers. They're the type of bunch that secondary coaches have nightmares about.

Um did we shut down Iowa? Northwestern?

Iowa, 3 turnovers, while creating none, and only allowing 282 yards, to me that is a defensive standpoint and a shutdown. Not the defense's fault that Iowa had 50 or less yards to go on most of their possessions.

Northwestern... we shut them down after the 1st quarter, made the right adjustments and defensively, we dominated that game.

4 turnovers, only created 1, only allowed 326 yards, 150 of those came in the 1st quarter. They averaged 59 yards a quarter after that.

1st quarter- 150 yards, 2 drives, average 75 yards per drive.

2nd- 64 yards, 5 drives, 12.8 yards per drive

7 points given this quarter, off another turnover (INT). NW only had 38 yards to go after INT return.

3rd- 65 yards, 5 drives- 13 yards per drive.

Scoreless. NW got an INT, but had to punt after a 23 yard drive.

4th- 34 yards, 4 drives- 17 yards per drive.

One of those drives they got an INT with a 29 yard return, with NW having a 1st and Goal @ the 7 yard line.

IMO, we shut down Northwestern outside the 1st quarter, and each turnover, besides one resulted in 10 points. Again, not the defense's fault that our offense is turnover prone.