An Offensive Identity

I think Nebraska's identity is a run first team that still wants to throw the football well. The problem, and the way it always gets muddled up, is in play-calling. We'll do something really well and then shy away from it. Or, we'll come out throwing three straight times after our last drive involved churning out yards on the ground down the field.

You never want to be predictable as an offense, but you certainly want to have principles or ideas you can lean on in certain situations and feel comfortable that you can get that first down or get the touchdown. A lot of times Nebraska acts like it doesn't know what these principles are. And it ends up leading to a team that looks soft and undisciplined at times.

No one who has watched Michigan State and Florida State this season could possibly think Michigan State has the best defense in the country. And it's not even close.

That MSU does not have the best defense in the country is certain --- the stats are skewed by playing weaklings week after week. That said, MSU has a really good defense (perhaps top 6/7 --- certainly top 10/12) and they are well coached. There exists a level of football out there that 6-8 teams pay at the transcends anything the B1G has to offer. It is really, really good that MSU took out OSU --- had they not, FSU would have rolled OSU by 28+ points. MSU is well coached and is a good team --- but not a legit Top 10 team --- they played no one except OSU who is as well a team that is legitimately outside of the Top 10.

No one in the B1G is able to compete overly w/ an FSU, Alabama, Auburn, even the next tier w/ Oregon, Stanford-level teams.

I expect Stanford to handle MSU easily. I would not be surprised if the B1G gets rolled in most of the bowls.

The pieces are all there. I'll give Beck and the rest of the coaching staff credit, they built a well-designed offense that has the ability to use all of the pieces in an effective way. Then we get into the games, have a terrific script for the first drive on offense, and from there on out our play calls look absolutely lost. I think Beck has all the right pieces to be able to be a fantastic offensive coordinator, but he has shown time and time again that he has a terrible feel for the types of plays that need to be called in game situations. It's time to find someone to fill our OC role who knows what the hell they are doing and puts our players in a position to be successful.

agree, Beck acts like he is taking plays from Ms. Cleo!

Really. FSU has a good season and now they are world beaters. Since 2001 they don't look like world beaters.If I read the records right they look pretty avg since 2001. But ill take the argument that everyone wants to throw at a BIG team when they are 12-1 or 12-0, who has FSU played????? Auburn beats them rushing for over 300 yards.

FSU record since 01.

2001 8-4

2002 9-5

2003 10-3

2004 9-3

2005 8-5

2006 7-6

2007 7-6

2008 9-4

2009 7-6

2010 10-4

2011 9-4

2012 12-2

2013 13-0

I would love a michigan state offense and defense. Lol.

I would take our defense over MSU's anyday.

Really? Want to find the last time MSU gave up more than 50? Pretty sure the last couple seasons no one has gotten to 30 against them.

Yes I would. Did you not see what this beat up Nebraska team did to their overrated defense? IIRC, we only lost by 13 with giving 5 turnovers, while putting more yards on them than anyone else this year. Yep, REALLY good defense there!

Also, who have they played this year who could put up 50? Their schedule was an absolute joke. They faced one ranked team this year, Michigan! Someone we also beat and only allowed 8 more total yards!

So 1 team puts up 28 on em (2 actually) and they are bad? That same thing happens to us 7-8 times a season.

Only a complete homer would give up the #4 scoring D for the #53. 11 points a game...tough to make up 11 with our offense.

I would love a michigan state offense and defense. Lol.

I would take our defense over MSU's anyday.

Really? Want to find the last time MSU gave up more than 50? Pretty sure the last couple seasons no one has gotten to 30 against them.

Yes I would. Did you not see what this beat up Nebraska team did to their overrated defense? IIRC, we only lost by 13 with giving 5 turnovers, while putting more yards on them than anyone else this year. Yep, REALLY good defense there!

Also, who have they played this year who could put up 50? Their schedule was an absolute joke. They faced one ranked team this year, Michigan! Someone we also beat and only allowed 8 more total yards!

So 1 team puts up 28 on em (2 actually) and they are bad? That same thing happens to us 7-8 times a season.

Only a complete homer would give up the #4 scoring D for the #53. 11 points a game...tough to make up 11 with our offense.

Then I am a homer, get over it. Don't agree with what I said, that's fine, but lets keep the name calling to yourself. Again, I would take our defense over their over ranked defense. For someone who complains when someone posts stats and state that they can be flawed to make any argument relevant, you sure aren't afraid to go there when trying to prove a point.

Does that make them the best defense in the nation?

Where did I say best in the nation? I said it was better than ours. Which is pretty much just fact, by any metric you want to judge it by.

The discussion was about Michigan St having the best defense in the country. It was not about whether or not they were better than ours, and it literally had nothing to do with the caliber of our D. You involved our defense. Again, does that make them the best defense in the nation? That they did just enough against our 2nd string offense?

Bottom line. The ONLY 2 offensive units they faced this year with even the resemblance of a pulse gained yards and scored points on them. Are they a good defense? Yes. Are they a great defense? I would say yes. Are they elite? Like, 2009 Suhfense elite? No. Their prestige is driven by skewed statistics against poor to bad offenses. That is fact. Not to mention, their prowess really took hold when they completely shut down Michigan. Wow. So did we. As well as Iowa, and Northwestern. As it turned out, Michigans offense was just as poor as the rest.

Really. FSU has a good season and now they are world beaters. Since 2001 they don't look like world beaters.If I read the records right they look pretty avg since 2001. But ill take the argument that everyone wants to throw at a BIG team when they are 12-1 or 12-0, who has FSU played????? Auburn beats them rushing for over 300 yards.

FSU record since 01.

2001 8-4

2002 9-5

2003 10-3

2004 9-3

2005 8-5

2006 7-6

2007 7-6

2008 9-4

2009 7-6

2010 10-4

2011 9-4

2012 12-2

2013 13-0

In other words, they are one transcendent player away from going 9-3/10-2 to undefeated and 14-0??

Sounds familiar.

Also, our offensive identity went to the bench with a bizzare turf toe/broken foot/shoulder/etc injury.

It went to the bench against Purdue w a torn knee.

It went from the slot WR to the bench w a torn hamstring.

WE HAD A 5th YEAR, WALKON, 3RD STRING QB STARTING AND PLAYING AND WINNING SOME GAMES FOR US THIS YEAR.

I thought and stated in a thread that our team responded different once Martin-ez was on the bench in a positive way. It was weird at first, how guys fought and played after TM went down.

I also said I'd take an 85% TM over a freshman or walkon.

Our identity got hurt this year. But we need to mash the ball and line up Mano e Mano. Expose defenses over the top. Win or lose w physicality, not "cool" formations or sped up tempo's.

do what we do that's worked for us and screw the flavor of the month.

Does that make them the best defense in the nation?

Where did I say best in the nation? I said it was better than ours. Which is pretty much just fact, by any metric you want to judge it by.

The discussion was about Michigan St having the best defense in the country. It was not about whether or not they were better than ours, and it literally had nothing to do with the caliber of our D. You involved our defense. Again, does that make them the best defense in the nation? That they did just enough against our 2nd string offense?

Bottom line. The ONLY 2 offensive units they faced this year with even the resemblance of a pulse gained yards and scored points on them. Are they a good defense? Yes. Are they a great defense? I would say yes. Are they elite? Like, 2009 Suhfense elite? No. Their prestige is driven by skewed statistics against poor to bad offenses. That is fact. Not to mention, their prowess really took hold when they completely shut down Michigan. Wow. So did we. As well as Iowa, and Northwestern. As it turned out, Michigans offense was just as poor as the rest.

Um did we shut down Iowa? Northwestern?

No one who has watched Michigan State and Florida State this season could possibly think Michigan State has the best defense in the country. And it's not even close.

Auburn is going to run the ball down the throat of the Noles. Everyone says Michigan St hasnt played anyone, well who has FSU played??

Clemson, Miami, Florida and Duke are probably among the best. But their closest game was against Boston College, who they beat by 14. They've rolled everyone else, often by 30-50 points. Clemson, who they beat by 37, is currently ranked #12.

No doubt FSU has played a fairly weak schedule, but they've done everything they can with it. And in my view they are clearly the best team in the country. I think Auburn will give them a good game, but Florida State will ultimately win by double digits.