An Offensive Identity

Has anyone else watched Auburn lately and gotten the impression that what Malzahn is doing with the offense there is what Beck should be doing with our offense here? I'm incredibly impressed with that offense and we have at least some of the tools to make that work here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1858938-inside-the-auburn-offense-why-gus-malzahns-system-works-and-works-so-fast

Has anyone else watched Auburn lately and gotten the impression that what Malzahn is doing with the offense there is what Beck should be doing with our offense here? I'm incredibly impressed with that offense and we have at least some of the tools to make that work here.

http://bleacherrepor...d-works-so-fast

Beck needs to look at his pieces and develop his own identity.......every time you try to copy someone else, you often come up short because some of the pieces are indeed missing.....Beck needs to get some big boy pants and be a real OC, otherwise we don't need him.

http://bleacherrepor...d-works-so-fast

Beck needs to look at his pieces and develop his own identity.......every time you try to copy someone else, you often come up short because some of the pieces are indeed missing.....Beck needs to get some big boy pants and be a real OC, otherwise we don't need him.

Yes. I just made a post in another thread. We need to pick something and practice it until we can perfect it. Being "multiple" has not worked out so well for us.

Everyone copies. Gus ripped most of his concepts straight from the Delaware Wing-T offense. Most of the run-heavy, read-option spread offenses are small variations of what Rich Rod was doing at West Virginia and Urban Meyer was doing back at Bowling Green and Utah. And they probably copied others before them. Hell, Osborne took most of his concepts from Oklahoma. The keys are, once you've decided what concepts you want to go with:

1. Getting the appropriate talent in to run the system
  2. Having the creative ability to modify the concepts slightly-- expanding and improving in small areas to give you an edge
  3. Adding new plays to the playbook that work off the existing concepts
  4. Having the creative ability to call the right plays in the right situations

There aren't very many people that can pull all of these things together, but the one's that do are hugely successful. I think Beck has a long way to go, and I'm skeptical that he will ever be better than decent

we don't need him.

May I just shorten it down?

I have not liked his playcalling since last year. Sure, we have a good run/pass ratio, but that percentage doesn't show when he is calling the plays. I lost all hope in him after not pulling, a clearly visible injured, Taylor in the Minnesota game. He forced him to be a pocket passer while not doing what was working, giving Abdullah the rock. Sure, I understand you can run all the time, but why put a guy in the spot of taking hits in the backfield?

I would love a michigan state offense and defense. Lol.

I would take our defense over MSU's anyday.

Really? Want to find the last time MSU gave up more than 50? Pretty sure the last couple seasons no one has gotten to 30 against them.

Yes I would. Did you not see what this beat up Nebraska team did to their overrated defense? IIRC, we only lost by 13 with giving 5 turnovers, while putting more yards on them than anyone else this year. Yep, REALLY good defense there!

Also, who have they played this year who could put up 50? Their schedule was an absolute joke. They faced one ranked team this year, Michigan! Someone we also beat and only allowed 8 more total yards!

No need to convince you any thing. They are the Big champs playing in the rose bowl. Where is our def? Playing in the Cracker Jack bowl

I'm just sayin. Theyre tops on a purely statistical premise. We gashed them and did what we wanted with a MASH unit offense. They played no one with a decent offense outside of Ohio St, and Ohio St beat themselves more than Michigan St did, and it was the same with us. I'm not comparing them to us. And I'm not butthurt over Michigan St's success. Just pointing out the simple fact that their defensive prowess is completely statistical and is skewed by lack of offensive competition. They are not the best defense in the nation.

• Fire 1