Christ in Christmas

tmfr15

the bummer is that a lot of people say 'happy holidays' because it encapsulates thanksgiving to new year's day and everything in between. but now both 'happy holidays' and 'merry christmas' have turned into some pseudo-political statement.

I say Happy Holidays to irritate my father.

I think it is certainly time for atheists to put their money where their mouth is and insist on working Christmas Day.

why would someone work on a federal holiday if they did not have to?

A better question would be why is the federal government issuing a day off for a Christian holiday? If we want separation of church and state then no more days off for Christmas and if Christians want to take the day off then they can use a vacation day. Same thing for Thanksgiving.

I think it is certainly time for atheists to put their money where their mouth is and insist on working Christmas Day.

A better question would be why is the federal government issuing a day off for a Christian holiday? If we want separation of church and state then no more days off for Christmas and if Christians want to take the day off then they can use a vacation day. Same thing for Thanksgiving.

Because Christmas is hardly a Christian holiday.

Because Christmas is hardly a Christian holiday.

Wrong.

Same thing for Thanksgiving.

:dunno

I often find myself sharing the same views as you in this forum, but I have to ask - what's this about? You know what HSKR is talking about. Why the faux confusion?

Or maybe a better question to ask would be, in what way are you taking that statement that creates confusion? There's the big huge giant mountain-like reference that even a blind rabbit gets from "Same thing for Thanksgiving," so what else could it be? I'm curious.

I often find myself sharing the same views as you in this forum, but I have to ask - what's this about? You know what HSKR is talking about. Why the faux confusion?

Or maybe a better question to ask would be, in what way are you taking that statement that creates confusion? There's the big huge giant mountain-like reference that even a blind rabbit gets from "Same thing for Thanksgiving," so what else could it be? I'm curious.

It's actually genuine confusion. Is Thanksgiving commonly thought of as affiliated with church or christianity? Or is there an entire point there that I'm completely missing?

It's actually genuine confusion. Is Thanksgiving commonly thought of as affiliated with church or christianity? Or is there an entire point there that I'm completely missing?

Ever heard the phrase, "You can't bullsh#t a bullshitter?" I'm calling bullsh#t on this one.

Ever heard the phrase, "You can't bullsh#t a bullshitter?" I'm calling bullsh#t on this one.

Quite serious. I grew up in a very religious household that celebrated Thanksgiving every year and other than the pre-meal prayer (which was said before every meal, not just this one) it was as secular as the carlfense house ever was. Hunting? Yep. Gorging? Absolutely. Football? Of course. Jesus? No.

Is that uncommon?

• Fire 3

Quite serious. I grew up in a very religious household that celebrated Thanksgiving every year and other than the pre-meal prayer (which was said before every meal, not just this one) it was as secular as the carlfense house ever was. Hunting? Yep. Gorging? Absolutely. Football? Of course. Jesus? No.

Is that uncommon?

I'm not going to humor this. If you want to take this stance, I won't stop you.