Christ in Christmas

tmfr15

Ever heard the phrase, "You can't bullsh#t a bullshitter?" I'm calling bullsh#t on this one.

Quite serious. I grew up in a very religious household that celebrated Thanksgiving every year and other than the pre-meal prayer (which was said before every meal, not just this one) it was as secular as the carlfense house ever was. Hunting? Yep. Gorging? Absolutely. Football? Of course. Jesus? No.

Is that uncommon?

i share the same confusion and that has been my experience. i always thought of thanksgiving as just an american holiday.

• Fire 3

Ever heard the phrase, "You can't bullsh#t a bullshitter?" I'm calling bullsh#t on this one.

Quite serious. I grew up in a very religious household that celebrated Thanksgiving every year and other than the pre-meal prayer (which was said before every meal, not just this one) it was as secular as the carlfense house ever was. Hunting? Yep. Gorging? Absolutely. Football? Of course. Jesus? No.

Is that uncommon?

I'm not going to humor this. If you want to take this stance, I won't stop you.

. . . ok? Carry on. :thumbs

i share the same confusion and that has been my experience. i always thought of thanksgiving as just an american holiday.

Exactly. This must be an unusual view?

I'm with you guys as well. Never had anything to do with religion in my house growing up. Even in my wife's house where they are very Catholic it was just a family holiday. Nothing religiously special about it.

I'll say for myself the most religious aspect that I celebrate during Thanksgiving is hoping the Cowboys get crushed by whomever they are playing that Thursday, but if you can't comprehend that Thanksgiving is a holiday based in religion, in particular Christianity, well then your just ignorant of history. Of course I realize this debate is a lost cause when people think Thanksgiving was invented in America. Ah, that 3rd grade Thanksgiving education.

The thing is if people actually knew the history of holdiays they find out that Santa has more to do with Christianity than Jesus does.

this is an interesting point, in that i have no idea what you are talking about.

Santa is a composite of Odin(Norse God) and Sinterklaas. Sinterklaas is based off of St. Nicholas. If you watched American Dad Sunday night you knew they talked about a character named Krampus which is true in that Santa rewarded the good children and krampus punished the bad kids.

The thing is if people actually knew the history of holdiays they find out that Santa has more to do with Christianity than Jesus does.

this is an interesting point, in that i have no idea what you are talking about.

Santa is a composite of Odin(Norse God) and Sinterklaas. Sinterklaas is based off of St. Nicholas. If you watched American Dad Sunday night you knew they talked about a character named Krampus which is true in that Santa rewarded the good children and krampus punished the bad kids.

Now I'm even more confused. Why does this have more to do with Christianity than Jesus?

I'm with you guys as well. Never had anything to do with religion in my house growing up. Even in my wife's house where they are very Catholic it was just a family holiday. Nothing religiously special about it.

this is quite interesting.

I also have no clue about any Christian or religious ties to Thanksgiving.

Still....how does Santa have more to do with Christianity than Jesus?