Perspective from a current player's father.

I don't think a player should ever be attacked directly. Thats way overboard.

But to say they deserve our respect for showing up here and playing is wrong also. Respect is earned. not simply given just because someone is here and on the team. Lawrence Phillips come to mind? Respect him because he's here and playing?

The vast majority of these kids are not here for "us" or Husker football. The small town Nebraska kid who has been a die hard Husker fan all his life and walks on, he's here for Husker football. Many of these scholarship kids though are viewing this as a stepping stone to bigger stages. To think otherwise is naive. Hopefully there are also several who view that sholarship as an oppourtunity to continue to play while also taking advantage of a chance to get an education. And whether it's 120K or 200K, it's a very valuable service they are receivng for their time and effort. It is a two way street here.

So again, while I do firmly believe our players should not have to deal with any personal attacks from over zealous fans (because no matter how big they might be, they're still kids), lets also remember they are being pretty well "compensated".

Support the coachs and players because they are here, yes. The respect part though has to be earned.

Nebraska fans are nowhere near as vitriol as other places. I've seen more hate spew from some Alabama fans than just about anywhere else - the pressure to win there is greater than it is here. I believe if Pelini were in the same situation down there that he is here he wouldn't be the head coach any longer. I think Nebraska is rather forgiving in comparison to other places. Hell, there were some Alabama fans actually calling for Saban's head after the Auburn loss this year. Baffling.

Though I think WAHusker took it overboard, part of what he's saying is accurate. I think what he was saying is that if you can't get it done, there's somebody waiting in the wings that can, and this is fair. This is big time college football and heart, passion and desire only take you so far. That said, I think some fans take it out on the players too much and that's not fair. The coaches are the ones getting paid the big bucks to win, and though I'm sure the pressures are great on them, it comes with the territory. And, again, if you can't handle it or can't get it done, there's somebody out there that can.

oh god. these are 200-300lb MEN, not little kids. Grow the "F" up. Poor kids get a $200k education and treated like gods in Lincoln. Its SOOOOO rough. Its no wonder our team lacks any sort toughness with excuses like this. This is big boy football, if you cant handle it, go play tennis.

Sick and tired of this douche attacking these young men. Suspend me, I don't care. But this has gone too far. I hope you and your apparent little man syndrome feel good about yourself now as you sit behind your computer and laugh. Big man attacking these young MEN who sacrifice so much so you can probably sit on your couch and fap to Husker football. Your attitude is bullsh#t and you clearly have no idea how big of a hypocrite you are attacking their character. I'd like to see you walk-in to this team's locker-room after a loss and spew this same sh#t to these MEN who gave their all only to fall short and have douchebags like you come after them, knowing they can't tell you off in return. I really hope you feel great about yourself. Merry Christmas.

If you get bounced please let me know.

But to say they deserve our respect for showing up here and playing is wrong also. Respect is earned. not simply given just because someone is here and on the team. Lawrence Phillips come to mind? Respect him because he's here and playing?

The vast majority of these kids are not here for "us" or Husker football. The small town Nebraska kid who has been a die hard Husker fan all his life and walks on, he's here for Husker football. Many of these scholarship kids though are viewing this as a stepping stone to bigger stages. To think otherwise is naive. Hopefully there are also several who view that sholarship as an oppourtunity to continue to play while also taking advantage of a chance to get an education. And whether it's 120K or 200K, it's a very valuable service they are receivng for their time and effort. It is a two way street here.

So again, while I do firmly believe our players should not have to deal with any personal attacks from over zealous fans (because no matter how big they might be, they're still kids), lets also remember they are being pretty well "compensated".

Support the coachs and players because they are here, yes. The respect part though has to be earned.

So if a 3rd string QB who will never play in the NFL and gets a total of 5 drives over his 4 years and he hails from say Oregon, we should not respect him because he didn't "earn" it? I get what your saying but what's not to respect about guys who dedicate their college playing days to Husker Nation? Sure, there are players who are capable of doing terrible things, aren't they all? But until they do they have my respect for dressing up and running out of the tunnel wearing Husker red.

18-22 year old males are MEN, not kids. That being said, football is a GAME...

...AND ONLY A GAME. I would rather the teams for which I root would win, and I don't particularly like it when they lose, but I like to keep things in perspective.

One way of doing that is remembering that there are other 18-22 year old men who spend their Saturdays (and Sundays and weekdays) in places like Kandahar, Afghanistan and Fajullah, Iraq. When they have a bad day, it is BAD.

So here's my suggestion: Every time one of us finds themselves getting too wrapped up in football, go down to the U.S. Post Office and get a large, flat-rate box. Then fill it so full of stuff that it takes one guy to hold it shut and one guy to tape it. Then ask around for the APO address of a young man or woman serving far from home*. It doesn't have to be someone you know. In fact, it's more rewarding when someone gets a package from a stranger out of the blue. Then spend some time thinking about another group of 18-22 year old MEN who also have invested a lot of time and effort getting ready for their next challenge, one that cannot be taken too seriously.

E-mailtreatsfortroops001.jpg

This was PART of one of the biggest CARE packages sent by a group of us.

One of the first CARE packages like this I sent went to a young man in the Airborne who was so far back in the sticks of Afghanistan that he asked for a washboard and clothesline. Everything was airdropped in to them, and they were happy to get anything. In fact, one air drop was off and was fell into the river. Two troopers drowned trying to keep it from getting washed away...compare that with how serious college football should be...

Andrew_2.jpg

Andrew, age 20 (at the time) suiting up for his next patrol. He is wearing a REAL flak jacket.

Sorry for the slightly off topic direction this took, but I think sports fans tend to lose perspective and need to get back into touch with reality sometimes.

*If you don't know of one, PM me. I keep a running list and send them as I go.

• Fire 3

So if a 3rd string QB who will never play in the NFL and gets a total of 5 drives over his 4 years and he hails from say Oregon, we should not respect him because he didn't "earn" it? I get what your saying but what's not to respect about guys who dedicate their college playing days to Husker Nation? Sure, there are players who are capable of doing terrible things, aren't they all? But until they do they have my respect for dressing up and running out of the tunnel wearing Husker red.

I admire his perserverance for sticking with the program over the years, and I fully support him as part of the team. But just because he is on the team doesn't warrant respect (and I realize here we're really getting nit picky and into a semantics issue). If he's from Oregon (or any place substantially out of the area) he's probably a scholarship player. So, while he's working hard, he is still getting an wonderful opportunity for an advanced education for playing a game.

I guess I grew up learning how to treat people different than others.

My view is that i should treat everyone with a certain level of respect. That includes 18-20 year old people who I have never met in person.

Just because they don't win a game doesn't mean they don't still deserve that respect.

Now, I have a much harder time maintaining that level of respect for certain fans who are obviously too immature to understand how to root for a team and not act like a spoiled 3 year old when that team doesn't perform up to their perceived standards.

But then, I might just be old fashioned.

• Fire 4

I guess I grew up learning how to treat people different than others.

My view is that i should treat everyone with a certain level of respect. That includes 18-20 year old people who I have never met in person.

Just because they don't win a game doesn't mean they don't still deserve that respect.

Now, I have a much harder time maintaining that level of respect for certain fans who are obviously too immature to understand how to root for a team and not act like a spoiled 3 year old when that team doesn't perform up to their perceived standards.

But then, I might just be old fashioned.

Don't know for certain, but I'm guessing this was directed at me. I grew up that way also, affording each and every person a level of regard (in place of using the word respect, which like I said earlier is getting into a semantics issue). I try to treat all people with this same level of regard/respect, no matter what you want to call it. Perhaps I could have phrased it better. I give all the players (whom I've never met) the same level of respect/regard until for whatever reason that level merits change. And them simply being on the football team is not a reason for me to raise that level.