The last time Ohio State faced Clemson

NUance

woody-hayes-punches-a-player-o.gif

Woody Hayes' punch still resounds 35 years later

By RUSTY MILLER (AP Sports Writer) / 16 hours ago / AP - Sports

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- It has been 35 years and still the almost unthinkable image of an iconic 65-year-old coach cold-cocking an opposing player doesn't fade away.

As Clemson and Ohio State prepare to meet in the Orange Bowl on Friday, a clip of that no-turning-back moment will undoubtedly be shown. The game marks the first meeting between the teams since Dec. 29, 1978 - when the 28-year, 205-win tenure of the hot-tempered yet beloved Buckeyes coach ended with one roundhouse right to the throat.

LINK

I guess this was sort of a big deal. :lol:

• Fire 1

I think Woody was a great coach and a great man, but just had a terrible temper. I read a biography of him a while back. He really is an amazing guy. Woody Hayes was the kind of guy that Joe Paterno pretended to be.

Yea, thats another low point alright.

i do not really understand bringing that into this. they are both bad, but should coaches not be held to a higher standard?

They usually try to lead by example while instilling team work, integrity and fair play, but sometimes they just piss it all away with a childish temper tantrum. Yea it's far far worse when a college coach does it, but that rumble is impressive so I'm glad he posted it.

They usually try to lead by example while instilling team work, integrity and fair play, but sometimes they just piss it all away with a childish temper tantrum. Yea it's far far worse when a college coach does it, but that rumble is impressive so I'm glad he posted it.

i remember the president of miami said something like, "i won't watch the video because i don't want to be biased". pretty ridiculous and it was pretty bad. admittedly, probably worse than hayes' sucker-punch.