Chatelain: Blackshirts are perfect way to jolt Nebraska's brand

Saunders

Two fourth-down stops in the red zone with the Gator Bowl on the line. Not a bad way to start the new year, right?

It's an even better way to spark a movement.

Nebraska's national brand needs a jolt. Bo Pelini needs to unify a fractured fan base. And the players themselves need a new edge. The answer? Go back to black.

Tuesday morning, I sat in with Damon Benning on 1620 AM, guest-hosting “Sharp and Benning in the Morning.” One topic raised my ire. Benning and a Husker fan were discussing how to modernize the Nebraska brand. How do you spruce up the program for outsiders without turning your back on tradition?

With apologies to proponents of alternate uniforms, my solution is to sell what you already have. Don't alienate the old guard. Don't innovate at the expense of the past. Blend the two together. Make 2014 the “Year of the Blackshirt.”

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140115/HUSKERS/140119040/

Seriously - is there some law or rule or codicil of which I'm not aware that forces people to put this guy's name in the title of every thread/article they post?

This doesn't happen with Sam McKewon.

This doesn't happen with Steve Sipple.

This doesn't happen with Brian Christopherson.

This doesn't happen with Lee Barfknecht.

But it happens with Dirk Chatelain. Every time.

I swear Dirk Chatelain must have some psychic mojo brainwashing power over everyone.

• Fire 1

You just better be sure you have a damn good defense if you do that. Giving up 500+ yards and 40+ points will ruin this marketing strategy in a heartbeat, but I this appears to be a good year to do it. I've always wondered why the school doesn't use the Blackshirt brand more. You can use it as the modern complement to the traditional scarlet and cream with the N on the helmet. It's the one thing in the program that you can update without anyone getting upset about it. I think the blackshirts have moved beyond representing just the first team defense. The term is now used to refer to the entire defense and even the mentality of the team as a whole (when they are playing well). You don't need to use the alternate uniform thing to relate to recruits if you do the blackshirt thing right. They should make it more visible by giving the defense black jerseys to wear in pregame warmups or something along those lines. Start making the Blackshirts a more tangible image.

• Fire 1

Seriously - is there some law or rule or codicil of which I'm not aware that forces people to put this guy's name in the title of every thread/article they post?

I swear Dirk Chatelain must have some psychic mojo brainwashing power over everyone.

I do it with every article i post from the OWH because that's how they title their headers.

:dunno

I do it with every article i post from the OWH because that's how they title their headers.

Nah, this isn't a Saunders thing. It's an everybody thing. Check out the titles on the article threads over the next few months. You'll see what I'm on about.

Chatelain is certainly very polarizing, but I think I tend to do the Author Name: Article thing (or magazine name). It only makes sense when you post the title of another person's writing. I don't post them often, but it's usually from McKewon. A sampling from threads other people have posted...

McKewon: Trying to bridge the gap on defense

McKewon: Contract rules suggest a more cutthroat business

McKewon: NU answers call to 'win out'

Sipple: It would be wrong to break up the staff

Barfknecht: Does Penn State belong in the Big Ten?

Shatel: Something still amiss with Husker defense

I think Dirk's got some of that psychic mojo on ya, knapp :D

• Fire 3

This is... a really weird "article".

I'm glad Chatelain is not in the marketing department of the AD. This sounds like something he should be discussing with an abnormally high-pitched voice with an intern by the coffee desk than typing up for print.

Why is this "article" so weird? You know, other than the general disdain for Chatelain.

He makes some excellent points regarding the Blackshirts and how we can sell that uniqueness to recruits and the rest of the college football world. We've downplayed it during the Pelini years when we should have been pushing it to the forefront, especially after 2009 and 2010.

And why is it an "article" and not an article? You know, other than the general disdain for Chatelain.

• Fire 2

Nah, this isn't a Saunders thing. It's an everybody thing. Check out the titles on the article threads over the next few months. You'll see what I'm on about.

Ok, but what I'm saying is that I do with with all of them, so I'm not like the others.